Wk 14 Postgame Thread Bills lose to Ravens 24-17

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don't agree with that.   The Ravens are a much more effective blitz-pressure team.   With a fantastic set of DBs.     

The Pittsburgh and Pats game will be very, very tough.   But if we get 50% better play out of the offense we can have a shot at those games... 

The Steelers front is crazy.

Allen will get hit just as much if not more than game. Better decision making is a must.

Just now, MDH said:

Both the Steelers and Pats have better Ds than the Ravens. On the road for both of those games too.

I’m worried about getting a W in both those games after this showing. 

Today is the first time since the New England game Allen struck me as rattled.  

However, longer term, Anyone that might think the current stable of WRs is good enough to beat the best need to watch this game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CSBill said:

Okay, so the predictable, unimaginative, moronic responses of: need a new QB, Daboll must go, our idiotic coaching, need entirely new o-line, etc., etc. 

BUT! Still 9-4 and only need one more win to secure a playoff stop. If you ask any of us if we’d be 9-4 at week 14, we would take it and run. 

On to Pittsburgh! GO BILLS! ??

Did I miss a “need a new QB post somewhere”? or “need an entirely new OLine” one?

This type of hyperbole makes discussion so frustrating. People are pointing out players who had poor games, I’m not sure how that equates to them not wanting those players.

Just now, suorangefan4 said:

Yep. I've rewinded it many times and Beasley easily was running away from him right after that screen grab.

And there wasn't another Ravens DB on that side of the field either. The one that started there followed McKenzie to the middle of the field. Easy TD if he throws to Cole.

Thanks. I’ve got everyone telling me they know exactly what happened because I posted a screenshot when clearly I would have had to have watched the video in order to make that assessment and take the screen grab. You would think anyone disagreeing with this would actually go back and watch the video however they can find it before they make a counter argument.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, let’s put it this way.  Josh hits him and he gets tackled short, and you get to put a circle around Brown down by the end zone and say “TD” and second - guess Josh for “checking down”.

There is plenty to criticize in Josh’s game today as well as other aspects, but I don’t think you can chalk that one up as a sure TD

Plenty of dropped passes and whiffed blocks didn't help.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Squandered opportunity. Allen has to be better if you want to beat the best teams in the league. 

Lamar did not explode but he did just enough. That was the difference. 

The only thing Lamar did was make a couple throws around the los that went for big gains.  He threw a 10 yard pass with blown coverage that 250 pound TE out ran our whole defense 60 yards for a TD.  The difference in the game really was the Josh fumble in our own redzone because our line couldn't block for crap.  Daboll has no answer for a blitz.  He just doesn't.  We cant run screens or quick slants.  Even when we try they are blown up at the los.

• Like (+1) 3

I mean, Allen had quite a few bad plays today, especially in the first half.  He rebounded nicely, but it's not like there's a shortage of stuff to criticize about his game today.  

He absolutely delivered on what would have been the game-tying play.  That's was a great pass.  Sometimes the defense makes an even better play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I guess Baltimore should have given up when they lost to the Browns.

Or maybe, today sucked and was a wakeup call that we still aren't great at beating blitzes against teams with strong defenses, that we can learn from this and make some noise in the playoffs.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen had a bad game but what is he supposed to do on that last play?  The play before, Morse and his linemates allowed a jailbreak blitz down the middle and it wasn’t the first time that had happened today.  He was justified in getting the ball out immediately.

Daboll needs to call run or Screen then. 

How he could not see this upstairs is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, Slack_in_MA said:

With all the blitzing, how can the coaching staff explain the lack of targets to the TEs on hot routes? Are they that bad? What purpose does Tyler Kroft serve?

Absolutely.    Just strange. 

The spread offencese they ran all day does no favors for the OL as well...unless the ball comes out of Allen's hand quickly (which it didn't most of the day).   

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

Looks like Beazley was in position to at least get a 1st down. 

This is a lose-lose situation in regards to fan 20/20 hindsight.

If he throws short of the sticks and Beasley doesn't make it, fans will freak out that he didn't throw to the sticks.

If he misses the throw to the sticks, fans will freak out that he missed the underneath guy.

The real criticism here is that Brown's route should've been squared off at the sticks to create separation and get the 1st down, not the touchdown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Team loss. Drops -- by Knox, Singletary, and Beasley -- were all big. When we all stop seeing red and actually analyze this game, we'll see a lot of positives. The Bills did not play well on offense but still had the best team in the NFL sweating it out at the end. This was a good game between two of the top teams in the NFL.

The Bills can play with anyone. That gives them a chance to go to the Super Bowl once the playoffs begin. Probably not this year, but it's possible. They lost to the top two teams in the conference 16-10 and 24-17, and I think they're better than everyone else.

This game changes if one or more of those incomplete deep balls are successful.

Pressure on the Bills a little bit now to go win in Pittsburgh. By the end of the day, the Steelers and Titans might only be a game back from the Bills with two tough games coming up for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

The problem with your scenario is that there was no one there to tackle him short. It’s sort of key to your argument.

Oh well. There were many plays left on the field today by the offense . Drops, bad pass pro, etc. pressure was getting through all day, so not going to be too critical of that one play. Went to his best wideout and his mind was made up at that point. They should have made plays earlier in the game. Certainly had opportunities. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

1.  That’s what I was trying to show. The defender missed the ball completely. It hit Brown right in the hand.

2.  I half a second earlier Cole was moving left to right and he stopped, cut and went the other direction and dropped that guys jockstrap onto the field

Given the lack of time Allen had all afternoon to let receivers make moves, I can't completely blame him for not wanting to wait.  ?      It was a quick decision.   Personally I'm glad he went for the score.  I just don't think the WRs were helping him much.   I was saying on the 3rd down he shoulda just ran a QB draw. I had no faith someone would catch any pass.