What a disgusting Offensive effort

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/09/ravens-john-harbaugh-bills-one-of-best-teams-nfl-lamar-jackson/

Ravens' John Harbaugh calls Bills 'one of the best' teams in NFL
That was a great football game, and two really, really good football teams going at it, tooth and nail. Proud of the victory. Very impressed with the Bills. That’s a football team that’s going to be around, through the playoffs, into the playoffs, that’s a good football team. Very well-coached by Sean McDermott and very tough, hard-nosed, hard-playing football team. So, to win that game, obviously, is a very special victory.

look up. Nuf said. 

Bristow, Virginia

On 12/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, Nextmanup said:

Eric Wood on the radio just said this was as bad as the offense is capable of playing.

Did he see the Patriots game? I thought that was worse. Hey, wait! Those might be two pretty good defenses that do that to a lot of teams! There may be a connection there. 

We are far from a finished product. There is really no such thing a a finished product, but most of us knew before week #1 we still had a ways to go on offense. Better, but not good enough yet. Capable of more and it was disappointing, but not shocking. 

Hoping for much better vs Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did he see the Patriots game? I thought that was worse. Hey, wait! Those might be two pretty good defenses that do that to a lot of teams! There may be a connection there. 

We are far from a finished product. There is really no such thing a a finished product, but most of us knew before week #1 we still had a ways to go on offense. Better, but not good enough yet. Capable of more and it was disappointing, but not shocking. 

Hoping for much better vs Pittsburgh. 

I was at the Patriots game.  I would say that game was more on Allen (the Patriots D certainly had something to do with it) and the Baltimore game was on the OL, TEs, WRs, Daboll.

Edited by Buffbills716

42 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/09/ravens-john-harbaugh-bills-one-of-best-teams-nfl-lamar-jackson/

That was a great football game, and two really, really good football teams going at it, tooth and nail. Proud of the victory. Very impressed with the Bills. That’s a football team that’s going to be around, through the playoffs, into the playoffs, that’s a good football team. Very well-coached by Sean McDermott and very tough, hard-nosed, hard-playing football team. So, to win that game, obviously, is a very special victory.

look up. Nuf said. 

WTF Do you expect him to say? He's referencing the DEFENSE Einstein. Do you actually think for one minute that our Offense put fear onto him or his team? Be real. Nuff said ...

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

look up. Nuf said. 

Off mic he was then heard saying "With adequate QB play they are beating a lot of teams; hopefully that QB they have doesn't figure things out or we are in trouble"

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

TEs?

WR?

OL?

I had that same question.

I think you could tell from both Daboll's and McDermott's pressers today that they felt there was blame to go around on the offense.  Yes, that strip sack on Allen that gave the Ravens the ball on the 24 yd line was bad, but Knox totally whiffed his assignment and let Judon slam into Allen like a runaway freight train.  A QB has to trust his guys to block.  On the other hand, whose brilliant idea was it to have Knox block Judon?  Srsly? 

Likewise Daboll made the comment (and I agree) that Allen settled in and started seeing his answers and throwing catchable passes after a bit.  He didn't say it but part of the ...unstated was at that point, there were too many catchable passes dropped.

So splitting up blame has to include the OL, the TE, and the WR as well as Daboll and Allen.  Singletary did drop a pass at the LOS that he could have got yards on and fail to make a deep circus catch he got a hand on, but he played so lights out in other regards that he gets a pass.

1 hour ago, Buffbills716 said:

I was at the Patriots game.  I would say that game was more on Allen (the Patriots D certainly had something to do with it) and the Baltimore game was on the OL, TEs, WRs, Daboll.

Allen has to take his share of the blame for yesterday also, but overall I agree.  Allen played badly - 3 picks, fumbles, just really had his head turned around IMO.  I thought his development was clear in this game, he knew what he was seeing he just 1) early on, pressed too hard for deep plays 2) when he got his act together, didn't get the help he needed from the rest of the guys at times.  And that interpretation was reflected by what we heard from the coaches after the Pats game vs. today.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Center doesn't see late shifts by the defense. QBs always have protection calls.

This is actually not true.  It varies from QB/Center pairing to QB/Center pairing.  Eric Wood talked about this at some length in an interview - there were QB who handled the protection calls themselves (Fitz, Orton) and QB he called them for (Tyrod, EJM)

On 12/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, SJDK said:

He was calling them out and everyone saw it. The line didn’t block.

Not quite so simple.  There were times when someone on the line got pwned, and pwned badly.  Allen was injured where Morse was shoved back and stepped on his foot.

I saw Ford and Dawkins both beaten like drums

BUT, fundamentally unless the set is for max protect and even then if it's a 0 blitz - someone will be unblocked, and the unblocked guy is the QB's responsibility.

The QB either needs to move to avoid the unblocked guy or know where his hot read is and get the ball out fast - or both.

The Ravens were doing a bunch of things schematically to make life difficult for Josh.  They were disguising their blitzes, running delayed blitzes .... lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I hate to break it to the folks in this thread, but................

the Ravens are 11-2 for a reason and their D is a BIG part of that reason.

Damned straight.  Sports pundits are all drooly over the Unstoppable LJax show but for the last 6-7 games their defense has been Wicked Good.

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

WTF Do you expect him to say? He's referencing the DEFENSE Einstein. Do you actually think for one minute that our Offense put fear onto him or his team? Be real. Nuff said ...

He is referencing the TEAM.  That's why he said TEAM four times and not DEFENSE.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is actually not true.  It varies from QB/Center pairing to QB/Center pairing.  Eric Wood talked about this at some length in an interview - there were QB who handled the protection calls themselves (Fitz, Orton) and QB he called them for (Tyrod, EJM)

I believe I read Lamar's center that went down also called protections.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I believe I read Lamar's center that went down also called protections.

Yes, and in his postgame presser from the 49ers, Harbaugh said Mekari was doing a good job calling protections for Lamar.  One of the Ravens fan visitors said he thought vet Marshal Yanda was helping him so there would be no problems.  One thing I did notice is that Lamar seemed to be reaching for that pistol snap on a number of occasions.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, and in his postgame presser from the 49ers, Harbaugh said Mekari was doing a good job calling protections for Lamar.  One of the Ravens fan visitors said he thought vet Marshal Yanda was helping him so there would be no problems.  One thing I did notice is that Lamar seemed to be reaching for that pistol snap on a number of occasions.

I wonder how many centers call protections vs Qbs around the league.  I see linemen calling stuff all the time on other teams.

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Just some quick observations from looking at more highlights. There are plays where Allen had no chance, the pressure is coming and the receivers aren't looking at allen so he spins and ends up sacked. 

There are some plays where Allen doesn't take a gain that is there. Doesnt pull the trigger. Players are open here. 

There is a play I saw where allen is looking to pull the trigger and kroft is not even looking at allen. Maybe it's a longer developing route but kroft is looking at a Ravens defender in the distance. Allen is sacked. Surely kroft needs to be more aware here. 

Allen made a few clever ad lib plays and the receivers dropped the ball. 

Ford and knox getting beat in pass pro. 

Fair summation, though I think the "ad lib plays" may be some of the secondary route run-n-shoot concepts

I will give it to Kroft that he laid out and toe dragged and tried to haul in basically a "throw away" that Allen made down the rt sideline under extreme pressure.

But yes, I saw that play too.  There were disconnects where the guys who should have been Allen's "hot" options didn't seem to react appropriately to the blitz and become what Erik Turner of Cover1 calls "quarterback friendly".  That Kroft play was a biggy.  Beasley too at least once that I saw. 

Now I don't know how to assign blame there.  It may be that there's some sort of trigger or alert to the WR to change to a blitz "hot" route and Allen didn't give it.  Or it may depend upon both the QB and the TE/WR seeing the same thing and the receivers sometimes failed.

I believe Kroft got beaten badly on at least one pass prot. and Dawkins too.

Whenever there is a loss, lots of things factor into it.  The defense did everything expected of it, and more so it's tough to point a finger at them.  I thought Daboll's dial up of deep passes early was odd, given Josh Allen's nerves combined with the wind.  He also called more inside runs than I expected, with the results I did expect (little gain).  Josh did not handle the blitz very well, and Baltimore did a ton of it-about 2/3 of the time.  There were also a number of key drops.  I think had Buffalo been able to get a few of those plays right, they may have won, but I'll give credit to the Baltimore defense.  We expected them to be good, and they were. 

It gives Buffalo things to work on.  You can bet Pittsburgh's defense will be aggressive next Sunday.  Given Josh Allen's continued improvement since the begi9nning of the season, I expect that he's going to get better at handling a blitz,  Whether it comes soon enough to cope with Pittsburgh and New England over the next two weeks remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, some QB's don't have the freedom to change protection because coaches don't trust them. Allen has that freedom. That doesn't change the fact the center can't see what the QB sees because his head is down.

Allen has spoken about making the protection calls. He has that responsibility.