Week 14: Around the League

Just now, whatdrought said:

Personally tonight hasn't changed my opinion at all. We're getting 11 wins minimum, but 12 seems doable. 

11-5 seems the most likely as our defense is too good not to take two of three as this was the best offense we faced all season.  I think we got a dose of reality about Josh Allen as his progression was never going to be linear.  Hopefully it's a learning experience for our whole offense.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Personally tonight hasn't changed my opinion at all. We're getting 11 wins minimum, but 12 seems doable. 

I would say I would expect 11 wins

Assuming they beat the Jets the last week, I have more confidence in them beating the pats in 2 weeks then I do of them beating the Steelers (a game I think may be a toss up with Pittsburghs defence). I actually think it may be more likely they beat NE then they do the Jets right now.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

11-5 seems the most likely as our defense is too good not to take two of three as this was the best offense we faced all season.  I think we got a dose of reality about Josh Allen as his progression was never going to be linear.  Hopefully it's a learning experience for our whole offense.

Yep. My HUGE positive takeaway from today: Josh had a bad game. Some things he did poorly, some things that were done to him. Through it all, he didn't make any bad decisions or make any back breaking mistakes. That's a lot of growth. He didn't get bogged down in the garbage of the game and start playing dumb. He actually did the oposite. He stayed poised, brought us back, made some great throws, and played smart. It was an encouraging defeat in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would say I would expect 11 wins

Assuming they beat the Jets the last week, I have more confidence in them beating the pats in 2 weeks then I do of them beating the Steelers (a game I think may be a toss up with Pittsburghs defence). I actually think it may be more likely they beat NE then they do the Jets right now.

Man, I get where you're coming from, I just can't see the Steelers offense doing anything against our Defense. That whole "our defense isn't elite, it was just feasting on bad offenses" narrative has pretty much been shot and buried over the last two weeks. We're an elite Defense, and I would be surprised if Duck Hodges moves the ball against us. (No disrespect to him)

Edited by whatdrought

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Yep. My HUGE positive takeaway from today: Josh had a bad game. Some things he did poorly, some things that were done to him. Through it all, he didn't make any bad decisions or make any back breaking mistakes. That's a lot of growth. He didn't get bogged down in the garbage of the game and start playing dumb. He actually did the oposite. He stayed poised, brought us back, made some great throws, and played smart. It was an encouraging defeat in that regard. 

I agree.  Him playing better after a poor first two plus quarters reminded me a lot of the Pats game.  He threw some balls away that he may have forced at the beginning of the year.  He needs to work on ball security though as two fumbles is not good.  Him consistently missing on the deep ball is also concerning.  We still need to upgrade our o-line next year as the Ravens really took it to them.  I think it's safe to say Ford needs to move to guard and we need to upgrade the tackle position.

I feel better about our defense now than I ever have after making the leagues most explosive player ordinary.  Our rush defense should be fine going forward.  Another positive of today is no injuries.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I agree.  Him playing better after a poor first two plus quarters reminded me a lot of the Pats game.  He threw some balls away that he may have forced at the beginning of the year.  He needs to work on ball security though as two fumbles is not good.  Him consistently missing on the deep ball is also concerning.  We still need to upgrade our o-line next year as the Ravens really took it to them.  I think it's safe to say Ford needs to move to guard and we need to upgrade the tackle position.

I feel better about our defense now than I ever have after making the leagues most explosive player ordinary.  Our rush defense should be fine going forward.  Another positive of today is no injuries.

Yep. That first fumble is one that 9 out of 10 QB's cough up. Not much to do when you get hit that fast by a DE who doesn't get touched on his way to you. Whoever though Knox one on one with Judon was a good idea (maybe Allen? who knows) is to blame for that one. 

Yeah, he needs to get the deep ball- he got one of them, a real beauty, but got it dropped. I agree about the OL. Not sure about Ford, as I didn't watch him closely. If we need a tackle, I might throw some of our cash at Jack Conklin from Tennessee. 

It's a great defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Man, I get where you're coming from, I just can't see the Steelers offense doing anything against our Defense. That whole "our defense isn't elite, it was just feasting on bad offenses" narrative has pretty much been shot and buried over the last two weeks. We're an elite Defense, and I would be surprised if Duck Hodges moves the ball against us. (No disrespect to him)

I agree, but I think the same about the Bills offence being able to do enough against Pittsburghs defence.

The only problem i have seen from this defence is that they are getting turnovers and scoring many points. So even if they hold Pittsburgh to a low score, Can the offence score enough to win against a really good defence?

I'm thinking this is going to be an ugly game for Prime time, it will be a low scoring defence slugfest kinda game, probably neither team scoring over 20

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I wonder how much the weather helped make him look more ordinary? The wind was making it tough to throw, Last week they weren't as explosive either playing in the rain against SF who have a very good defence too.

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wonder how much the weather helped make him look more ordinary? The wind was making it tough to throw, Last week they weren't as explosive either playing in the rain against SF who have a very good defence too.

It may have impacted him throwing the ball but holding him to only 40 yards rushing was impressive.  

Just now, Doc Brown said:

It may have impacted him throwing the ball but holding him to only 40 yards rushing was impressive.  

True, but if the weather kept them from doing much in the air, its easier to key in on the run and stop them.

They did a great job this week, would love to see a rematch in better conditions to get a better judgement on their performance though.....

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I agree, but I think the same about the Bills offence being able to do enough against Pittsburghs defence.

The only problem i have seen from this defence is that they are getting turnovers and scoring many points. So even if they hold Pittsburgh to a low score, Can the offence score enough to win against a really good defence?

I think it'd be hard to argue that the Ravens defense isn't as good as the Steelers. That being said, we were able to move the ball against the Ravens when we got our head out of our asses. I expect next week we win by 10 or more. I'm just deciding now to have confidence and trust that this team isn't a shameless tease. We'll see. 

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

True, but if the weather kept them from doing much in the air, its easier to key in on the run and stop them.

They did a great job this week, would love to see a rematch in better conditions to get a better judgement on their performance though.....

Same goes for our offense against their defense.  Maybe Josh connects on one of those early deep balls and the trajectory of this whole game changes if we played in a dome.

46 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It would be so Billsy to end up losing out, then having Dalton throw a TD pass to win a game week 17 to give another team a tie breaker over them.......

Bengals play the Browns the last game and a Bengals win could put Bills in playoffs if they don't win another game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey Guys, sorry if I missed this but does one win get us in over the next 3 weeks? I was fooling around with the simulator and worst case scenario with a win only against the Jets I couldn’t find a way we didn’t get in...just different seedings in play. 

on a side note I think we take care of business in Pitt. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

15 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Hey Guys, sorry if I missed this but does one win get us in over the next 3 weeks?

We need to put up a sign:

Playoff Scenarios:  Next 6 Exits/Threads

?

With yesterday’s results, PlayoffStatus.com shows a 1 in 20 chance of Bills NOT making the playoffs.  A lot of AFC teams were eliminated yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1