Josh's running style more injury prone than Lamar's

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

RG3 disagrees.....

yep, everything being said about LJ now are the same things said about RGIII.  and then he got blown up and it was all over.   Neither RGIII nor LJ can be a star from the pocket.  Josh can be a star from the pocket.  LJ's "wildcat " days will come to an end sooner or later one way or another.    Take my current backyard, the D.C. area.   Kirk Cousins played smart and got a zillion $ contract.   RGIII is effectively out of the game.   Both drafted the same year, (by the same team, no less)  just like JA and LJ.   My guess is we will see the same result eventually. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

RG3 disagrees.....

There was more going on with RG3 than being a running qb and getting hit.  Honestly I'm shocked he was taken so high.  Not sure if you've seen this (I hadn't until recently), but it's pretty crazy. Zion Williamson has similar mechanical issues in his form (though different) and already had to get part of his meniscus removed, which could lead to bad things long term.

3 hours ago, RavensFan said:

Lamar is just as much a pocket passer as Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson; probably more so than Wilson, who’s spending a lot of time running for his life. If a team is able to shut down his running, he’s more than capable of beating them from the pocket.

BTW, the hardest hits he’s taken have been in the pocket, including low hits and blows to the head.

Ok.

I don’t see the same style with Lamar as I do when I watch Aaron and Russell. Jackson doesn’t see the field like those guys have shown they can. Teams will figure out how to force Lamar to be a pure passer, that’s when he will show what you say he can do. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

13 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yep, everything being said about LJ now are the same things said about RGIII.  and then he got blown up and it was all over.   Neither RGIII nor LJ can be a star from the pocket.  Josh can be a star from the pocket.  LJ's "wildcat " days will come to an end sooner or later one way or another.    Take my current backyard, the D.C. area.   Kirk Cousins played smart and got a zillion $ contract.   RGIII is effectively out of the game.   Both drafted the same year, (by the same team, no less)  just like JA and LJ.   My guess is we will see the same result eventually. 

I disagree with the bolded. I think Jackson can develop into a pocket passer. He and J Allen seem to have amazing drive which the Mayfields and RGIIIs lack. It’s going to help them both evolve. Now, Roman’s offense and passing schemes may not help the kid reach the next step of development, and a major injury could certainly derail his career. Jackson has enough tools and will power to improve. 

29 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Yea I wasn’t validating Lamar’s running. Just putting out there someone of similar stature. Personally I think Lamar will be fun to watch...until he gets drilled a few times. I also believe that drilling is inevitable. The refs have been favoring him for a scrambling QB. If you watch the Steelers game Pitt had the Ravens tied and they were driving. Steelers got called for a debatable roughing the passer call which extended the drive and allowed Baltimore to take the lead. Defenders will get fed up with that stuff and take as many shots on him as they can because they don’t like getting embarrassed by him in the open field. 

I don’t know when that is going to happen and I hope for Lamar’s sake it’s longer than RQ3 (which I believe it will be). He does seem to avoid big hits. I think he looks quicker than Vick. Time will tel

The favorable treatment has been interesting to me. I’m certainly on record as saying that Josh has been getting the Cam Newton treatment from refs. Jackson seems to be getting more of the Rodgers treatment. I’m not sure if body type is the difference here or marketing potential for the league. Either way they need to find a way to avoid impacts. 

There is definitely more of a Cam Newton risk to Allen running over and over again. The toll could add up by year 8 or 10 for him as it has for Cam. Allen is being smarter lately with avoiding hits but it will never be completely taught out of him like it has been with Russell Wilson. In fact, despite Allen's talk of this just being another game, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Allen give some extra effort on some runs today. He knows it's a huge game.

That said, Jackson is running 50% more than Allen is this year, 140 attempts for Jackson to 93 for Allen. I would say that extra 50% of rush attempts for Jackson would be far more concerning with regards to greater injury risk.