Josh's running style more injury prone than Lamar's

A QB can get hurt on any play, in the pocket, out of the pocket, or even slipping on a rubber floor mat on the sidelines... anytime.

Having said that, it seems to me that Allen is at a lot more risk of injury when he runs compared to Jackson.  Josh is a big tank of a guy at 6'5", 237 lbs and would seem more durable if he has to tuck the ball and run with it compared to Lamar Jackson who is 6'2" and 212 lbs.  The problem is Josh's violent running style.  He is much more likely to lower his head and try to pick up a few extra yards at the end of a run and take a hit in the process.  Conversely, Lamar rarely ever takes a big hit, or any hit at all, because he is so fast and shifty.  He is so incredibly athletic that DBs and LBs can never seem to get a solid hit on him.  He dodges or is out of bounds before he can get hammered.  

I think Allen's ability to tuck the ball and take off is a vital part of his game and I don't want to see him not run, I just hope that he looks at what has happened to Cam's career and learns to slide more, head out of bonds more, and not continue to scrap for every single yard.  I love Josh's competitiveness and desire to win on every play, but if he is going to be our franchise QB he needs to be on the field.  He needs to stay healthy.  As the Pats showed earlier this year, an opposing defense won't hesitate to try and knock him out of a game if he gives them any chance to do so. 

This franchise's playoff run comes to a grinding halt if Allen isn't under center.  I hope he doesn't feel the pressure to keep up with Lamar this weekend and plays to win but also plays smart to protect his body. He needs to think about the big picture.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

While I agree Allen does look scary for injuries with the hits he takes. He definitely is aware and trying to limit some of it. He also seems to play a lot better when there is more contact. 

Jackson is elusive, curious to see what happens when he does take some big hits when he’s not used to being hit much. Come playoff time I would expect someone is going to lay him out if he’s running all the time.  Can he play the same after injuries? Or does he get rattled after some good hits? Can he recover and play at the same level after an injury? Good thing is we already know those answers for the most part  with 17. 

Josh seems to think he can take on DBs near the line to gain. Minus a head shot he is probably right.  The TD run in Dallas looked like it would go that way but Brown's block was too good. 

Being so tall with an upright running style does leave the ball exposed as does using a stiff arm.  Legal shots to his torso are not worrisome but shots to his head or knees I find concerning.  In general, I think he has taken bigger hits in the pocket than outside it.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

A QB can get hurt on any play, in the pocket, out of the pocket, or even slipping on a rubber floor mat on the sidelines... anytime.

Having said that, it seems to me that Allen is at a lot more risk of injury when he runs compared to Jackson.  Josh is a big tank of a guy at 6'5", 237 lbs and would seem more durable if he has to tuck the ball and run with it compared to Lamar Jackson who is 6'2" and 212 lbs.  The problem is Josh's violent running style.  He is much more likely to lower his head and try to pick up a few extra yards at the end of a run and take a hit in the process.  Conversely, Lamar rarely ever takes a big hit, or any hit at all, because he is so fast and shifty.  He is so incredibly athletic that DBs and LBs can never seem to get a solid hit on him.  He dodges or is out of bounds before he can get hammered.  

I think Allen's ability to tuck the ball and take off is a vital part of his game and I don't want to see him not run, I just hope that he looks at what has happened to Cam's career and learns to slide more, head out of bonds more, and not continue to scrap for every single yard.  I love Josh's competitiveness and desire to win on every play, but if he is going to be our franchise QB he needs to be on the field.  He needs to stay healthy.  As the Pats showed earlier this year, an opposing defense won't hesitate to try and knock him out of a game if he gives them any chance to do so. 

This franchise's playoff run comes to a grinding halt if Allen isn't under center.  I hope he doesn't feel the pressure to keep up with Lamar this weekend and plays to win but also plays smart to protect his body. He needs to think about the big picture.

while you compare Josh to Cam and worried about what happened in Cams Career. 

I give you Lamar and RGIII and what happened in RGIII’s career. 

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Well said Inigo.  I’ve seen improvements with him sliding more this year than last year, but it’s not enough.  He still at times pushes for that extra yard, and at some point, he’d better learn the yard or two is not as important as staying in the game.  Like it or not, he’s the most important person on the team, and although Brady is throwing it away a lot this year,  there is a very good reason why he only was taken out for one season in twenty years.

Allen needs to take a page from that playbook.  We’re not going deep into the playoffs with Barkley.  Too many casual fans always think the back up QB should go in and as much as I hate to admit, my Dad is one of them.  It’s more of his frustrations when Josh makes a mistake.

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Difference is Josh is showing he can be a pocket passer. To this point Lamar is a running quarterback who throws. Greg Roman has done an excellent job scheming to Lamars strengths, but Jackson will need to evolve to have longevity in the league. 

Lamar is just as much a pocket passer as Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson; probably more so than Wilson, who’s spending a lot of time running for his life. If a team is able to shut down his running, he’s more than capable of beating them from the pocket.

BTW, the hardest hits he’s taken have been in the pocket, including low hits and blows to the head.

25 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not your best take Inigo..

Give him a break, he's busy looking for someone......

Image result for six fingered man picture

15 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

If Allen gets hurt today someone might hunt you down Mr. OP,  thinking you're a jinx....

.....in a nice way, of course.

?

They'll have to hunt me down also..........I had a dream that Josh tore his labrum somehow early in the game. Then I woke up and kept telling myself the game hadn't been played yet, all is well. 

14 minutes ago, RavensFan said:

Lamar is just as much a pocket passer as Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson; probably more so than Wilson, who’s spending a lot of time running for his life. If a team is able to shut down his running, he’s more than capable of beating them from the pocket.

BTW, the hardest hits he’s taken have been in the pocket, including low hits and blows to the head.

bull####. Because of the style of offense he plays in he has wide open throwing lanes and receivers.To compare him to Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to jumping to gun at this point.