NFL Throwbacks - Kelly vs. Marino in a Winter Wonderland

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Painful to watch still almost 30 years latter knowing how much talent we had on that team and didn't win a Superbowl.

...Thurman had holes open so big a truck could have drove through. LOfton,Reed and Beebe were unstoppable. Forgot we couldn't stop 3rd and long way back then either.

...Marv Albert and Paul McGuire were our homer announcers lol

It is surprising how bad Kirby Jackson and JD Williams were in coverage.  Those two gave up a lot of big gains

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

That team didn't have the big man in the middle to deal with those massive NFC running games in the SB's and it KILLED them.

Put Ted Washington in his prime on those Bills SB teams and they win 3 of them at least.

Yep I’ve said that before.  Jeff Wright was a weakspot on the defense.  He was too small to play NT, and many times the Bills got gashed right up the middle.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

What I remember most -aside from being in attendance, was Thurman’s Post Game remarks; 

“They kinda pissed me off with the way they running at the mouth saying ‘they didn’t play well last time we were up here (late season Division clinching game w/ Reich at QB). Well, I thought they played pretty damn good today but they still got the azz beat!” -Perfect.

Another blast from the past.  I miss the days when players and coaches would call it like it is in the post game interviews.  Nowadays it's all standard PC babble. BORINGGGG

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

That team didn't have the big man in the middle to deal with those massive NFC running games in the SB's and it KILLED them.

Put Ted Washington in his prime on those Bills SB teams and they win 3 of them at least.

Or Fred Smerlas too...it's a shame we had two great Nose Tackles sandwiched in between the Super Bowl runs while it was clearly a huge weakness during the actual run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

there wasn’t an excuse in a million years for losing to that Giants team with Hoss at QB

I beg to differ somewhat. Though it's not an excuse, it is more of where to put the blame.

But then again, to point the finger at fatherly figure HOF coach isn't well received in here.

Edited by I am the egg man

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

I beg to differ somewhat. Though it's not an excuse, it is more of where to put the blame.

But then again, to point the finger at fatherly figure HOF coach isn't well received in here.

Thurman could have ran for 300 yds in that game if said coach would have adj game plan

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thurman could have ran for 300 yds in that game if said coach would have adj game plan

Plays were called on the fly by the coach wearing #12.

But, in addition to better tackling on third down, a couple of catches from #83 (a third down drop after the safety comes to mind) and the game is completely different. As with so many historical events, there are many possible inflection points. The next three times, they happened to run into better teams.

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Painful to watch still almost 30 years latter knowing how much talent we had on that team and didn't win a Superbowl.

...Thurman had holes open so big a truck could have drove through. LOfton,Reed and Beebe were unstoppable. Forgot we couldn't stop 3rd and long way back then either.

...Marv Albert and Paul McGuire were our homer announcers lol

We were grossly out coached in the Giants SB.  Kelly, Marchibroda, and Levy were stubborn on the K Gun when Bellicheck admitted years later that he told his defense to play 8 back and not worry about Thurmon.  It was around 14 runs for 145 yards.  If we kept with the run forcing the Giants play more men up, and the offense would be on the field longer.  We would have killed them as once they tried to stop Thurmon, we could pick their secondary apart.  

The Giants were much better coached with Coughlin, Bellicheck, and Parcells.  Their coaches didn’t their players to go out and get hammered throughout the one week vs. two weeks before the SB.  So stupid on Marv’s part.

24 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We were grossly out coached in the Giants SB.  Kelly, Marchibroda, and Levy were stubborn on the K Gun when Bellicheck admitted years later that he told his defense to play 8 back and not worry about Thurmon.  It was around 14 runs for 145 yards.  If we kept with the run forcing the Giants play more men up, and the offense would be on the field longer.  We would have killed them as once they tried to stop Thurmon, we could pick their secondary apart.  

The Giants were much better coached with Coughlin, Bellicheck, and Parcells.  Their coaches didn’t their players to go out and get hammered throughout the one week vs. two weeks before the SB.  So stupid on Marv’s part.

+1 This sums it up

Mike, appreciate the sentiment.  To the others, I have some of the fondest memories of those days, and the cool thing that young fans haven’t gone through is an opposing team gets a go ahead score and there is maybe 1 minute and less than thirty seconds, and we would just say,  it’s alright. Time for the K Gun to do it’s thing, and over 90% of the time Kelly and crew would score in 45 seconds.

I’m starting to billieve like that again that we have an ascending dynasty coming and are going to start beating the Patsies regularly.