NFL Throwbacks - Kelly vs. Marino in a Winter Wonderland

In the hours before the Bills face The Ravens, I thought it would be cool to shift gears a bit and take a look at a classic Bills playoff victory.

In my YouTube recommended videos, I came across this awesome summary of the Bills vs Miami Dolphins from the 1991 playoffs.  

I watched this game as a kid and thought it was a fun game back then, and it still looks it to this day.

I know that we have fans of all ages here  who are really reflective on the past.  I wanted to ask this group what are your memories of this game?

If you were too young, take 12 minutes to watch the recap and share your thoughts!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Painful to watch still almost 30 years latter knowing how much talent we had on that team and didn't win a Superbowl.

...Thurman had holes open so big a truck could have drove through. LOfton,Reed and Beebe were unstoppable. Forgot we couldn't stop 3rd and long way back then either.

...Marv Albert and Paul McGuire were our homer announcers lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Painful to watch still almost 30 years latter knowing how much talent we had on that team and didn't win a Superbowl.

...Thurman had holes open so big a truck could have drove through. LOfton,Reed and Beebe were unstoppable. Forgot we couldn't stop 3rd and long way back then either.

That team didn't have the big man in the middle to deal with those massive NFC running games in the SB's and it KILLED them.

Put Ted Washington in his prime on those Bills SB teams and they win 3 of them at least.

I remember being nervous about Jimbo’s knee. It was the first time he put it to the test after injury vs Giants. We had home field throughout for the first time, but I was a wreck. Chain smoked about 15 cigarettes throughout the game ( yeah those were different times). We were standing the majority of the game , as was the rest of the lower bowl it seemed. Marino was on point though, and I was always worried about him. Couldn’t stand the Dolphins, but grudgingly respected Marino’s ability. Bills offense was hot and pulled away, great game and couldn’t wait for the Championship game the next week. 

30 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That team didn't have the big man in the middle to deal with those massive NFC running games in the SB's and it KILLED them.

Put Ted Washington in his prime on those Bills SB teams and they win 3 of them at least.

This^^. That team had everything except the big run stuffer to enforce the middle. It absolutely killed them in the Superbowls, including XXV. The defense lost that game more than the offense did. Allowed 40 minutes of possession time to a team with a backup QB; it seemed no Bills defender could make a tackle that day. Sure, the Bills should have run the ball more, but the defense blew that game completely. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Great clip. 
Albert calling football sounds like a bad video game play by play. 
Some many what would be considered ‘late hits’ in that game. 
Marino had an absolute gun. 
Kelly’s long ball always had this strange arc to it. It seemed to start parallel to the ground for a few yards and then just take off upwards. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

there wasn’t an excuse in a million years for losing to that Giants team with Hoss at QB

Thanks for posting.  That was one of my favorite games of the Bills SB era.   Was at the game but Didn’t remember a lot of the details due to the flask of liquid keeping me warm throughout the game.

I did remember Andre breaking free for a couple TDa, but was surprised to see what a big game Lofton had too.

Didn’t watch the clip yet, but I (kind of) remember the game and definitely remember it being a great win. I lived near Binghamton (Endicott actually), I had 4 friends from Rome and Rochester over and had a quarter keg. After the game, every few minutes I kept asking “What was the final score again?”

6 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Its seemed like the Defense has always given up big third downs, which has always driven me nuts, especially when other great defenses could do it. However with McDermott being here it hasn't been as bad and hopefully improves to the point were we just shut everybody done.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

For sure, Ted was the man!! Always thought man if we could have had him during the Superbowl years we would have won some.

Thinking back on those years makes me sad as i was in the Navy then and missed their best years for the most part. I saw some games but nothing like being in the area to watch all the games and read the paper and Bills digest. Loved that magazine, was like having the inside scoop on the team.

What I remember most -aside from being in attendance, was Thurman’s Post Game remarks; 

“They kinda pissed me off with the way they running at the mouth saying ‘they didn’t play well last time we were up here (late season Division clinching game w/ Reich at QB). Well, I thought they played pretty damn good today but they still got the azz beat!” -Perfect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Man, the people trashing JA early in the year must have filed this one away in the vault. Jimbo had some pretty iffy throws. Time distorts a lot of things. This may be unpopular but we forget he wasn’t exactly a “slam dunk” HOFer

Frankly, it’s You who’s forgotten. Check the HOF record. FIRST BALLOT! Only OJ & Bruce achieved it along with Jimbo.

The following season, ‘91, Kelly was named AFC POY. 

Yes, your take is unpopular.

• Thank you (+1) 1