The Dang Sump Pump

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bingo!

Any dip in corrugated plastic will collect water, dirt.  My underground discharge after 10 years, I had to access it, rod it.  I actually sleeved it... It was like pottery chunks coming out with snake I sent down.  Formed like glass, shape of corrugated too!

If you can 6" PVC... $$$$ you can always sleeve smaller in it, not that you will for 50 years anyway... But it does depend on how careful you back fill, settles, tree roots, etc...

Where PVC is vulnerable is at pass through in house.  Use cast iron, then adapt back to PVC on both side.  Foundation settles.  Settles, backfilling may crack it and will never know for years.  Neighbor across street, builder passed throug with PVC, must have cracked during backfill with dirt... Every time he flushed toilet, water made way thru ground to drain tile and sump went off!  Sanitary sewer was on opposite side of house too!!!

...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they used 4" pvc ( I will check for you)......I have ZERO leak issues where they bored through the block wall basement....pitch to the catch basin is at least 24", so the draining provision works....I have two Norway maples near the road with a retaining wall because of the drop off....they even bored under the wall to accommodate the 4" pvc...and installed a clean out in the easement......

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

you regulated my father right out of business

Yet... Prevented millions of people from getting cholera.

Sorry Buttercup.  The good, millions outweighs one. Take one for team dad.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they used 4" pvc ( I will check for you)......I have ZERO leak issues where they bored through the block wall basement....pitch to the catch basin is at least 24", so the draining provision works....I have two Norway maples near the road with a retaining wall because of the drop off....they even bored under the wall to accommodate the 4" pvc...and installed a clean out in the easement......

4" is standard, great!

Most of time no issues with pass through.  Mine is PVC... 23 years now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet... Prevented millions of people from getting cholera.

Sorry Buttercup.  The good, millions outweighs one. Take one for team dad.

4" is standard, great!

Most of time no issues with pass through.  Mine is PVC... 23 years now.

...sure hopes all of this helps OP.....:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Lot of times those venturi pumps after sitting idle for long periods will leak.  Need maintenance.  No harm leaking, it's leaking right into pit...

...I added a water line right next to sump pit with hose bibb on end... To always have that option.  Helps me clean the sump out few times a year... Also, allows to test during dry spells.

I have one of these in case of dire emergency... Lost power, generator crapped out, outta of fuel, etc... Take the edge of water rising.

31Jy-0h145L._AC_SY400_.jpg

I didn’t realize they were Venturi pumps, I was led to believe they were little turbines. I googled them and found some nice YouTube videos explaining and demonstrating them. Today I learned something from EiI on TBD.  Did I just say that out loud?

56 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I didn’t realize they were Venturi pumps, I was led to believe they were little turbines. I googled them and found some nice YouTube videos explaining and demonstrating them. Today I learned something from EiI on TBD.  Did I just say that out loud?

Don't quote me on this... But that's just one style.  The bigger volume ones may be a turbine, powered by water pressure.  ???

The venturi style is the portable one I have.  Not sure that's set up for high head (lift) and pumping higher amounts of water... But in a pinch, will take edge off water rising...

I guess the YouTube videos do confirm, though...

I believe a very popular style of the water operated back up pump was based upon a venturi effect.  Something similar was placed in a relative’s basement in Amherst, as they were very skeptical of battery operated pumps.  A previous job site I worked at used cooling water pumped in, and venturi based water syphons kept furnace mast pits clear of water 24/7.  Impractical in a residential setting, but eminently serviceable since pressurized cooling water was always available.

EDIT:  During a prolonged power outage in the early 90s, a coworker at the industry cited above cobbled together a smaller syphon pump from pipe fittings, hooked it to his external hose supply, and pumped out his flooded basement.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2

Just don't pump your cellar out too fast.  One of the deckhands with a marine outfit here borrowed one of the company's big pumps... Water came out too fast, buckled his foundation.  There is hydrostatic pressure.  Betcha @BringBackFergy Ferguson knew that! Smart guy. A little incorrigible, but smart guy... Makes a mean breakfast sammich too!

On 12/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanx... Without the tag and ShoutOut... I might have missed this.  You're like a "high water alarm!"

OP... I am fully analyzing your post as we speak.

Special out to one of the gray beards.  I forget which one... So confusing! 

@Greybeard

@Gray Beard

@Graybeard

Who knew there were so many!  Oh wait, the one I am looking for is in post #4 & #6!

I am surprised you confused me with my dopplenamer.   After reading through the rest of this thread, it appears you have a lot more options than you did a couple years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I am surprised you confused me with my dopplenamer.   After reading through the rest of this thread, it appears you have a lot more options than you did a couple years ago.

Simply the name.  I never know what is the proper way to spell gray/grey.

I won't forget again.  You were big help.  The PumpSpy really helps, got me to see what the sump was doing.  Simply, The pit is too small. If I ever built again, I go bigger and deeper.  But redundancy with pumps and maintenance hedges against disaster.