Some Panthers fans' views on McDermott/Beane

technobot

Listened to a Charlotte caller on WFNZ yesterday talking about Rivera coaching.

His point was the Panthers defense hasn’t rebounded since McD left for Buffalo. I hadn’t thought of it but he was correct imo.

What I can’t believe is they didn’t get rid of Hurney. He’s a good numbers guy but his drafting after the first rounds has been ?.

I assume they are going to bring in a better talent evaluator before the draft.

It is fascinating to watch this process happen when you don’t have a dog in the fight.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Interesting 
‘let’s not forget Beane gave us a third rounder for fat ass Benjamin’.

they also don’t seem to have a ton of respect for Allen. Saying Cam had a ton more talent in his second season than Allen does. 

Yes it sucks we gave up a 3rd for that fat ass 

BUT to use a 1st in the first place to get him probably sucks a little more!!! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

His point was the Panthers defense hasn’t rebounded since McD left for Buffalo. I hadn’t thought of it but he was correct imo.

What I can’t believe is they didn’t get rid of Hurney. He’s a good numbers guy but his drafting after the first rounds has been ?.

It is fascinating to watch this process happen when you don’t have a dog in the fight.

Used live there, listened to Gary Williams who left

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The Panthers D wasn't as good WITH McDermott the year after the Superbowl loss.  Went from #6 to #26. 

Not sure why.  Newton/Offense might be a big part actually.  Went from #7 in the league with 19 TO to #27 in the league with 29.

If the other team got TD off 1/2 of those 10 turnovers, that's enough to move a team from #27 to #15 right there.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Interesting 

they also don’t seem to have a ton of respect for Allen. Saying Cam had a ton more talent in his second season than Allen does. 

Cam Newton was a ROY who broke passing and rushing (for a QB) records his rookie season.  Averaged 253 ypg passing.

And yet strangely, his team didn't start winning until his 3rd year when he cut back on his passing (211 ypg) but also his INTs, and his rushing too.

Huh.

I have followed Carolina quite a bit it’s my nephews favorite team. Some of those guys are right, they screwed up big time letting Beane and mcdermott out the door. The biggest issue in Carolina has and probably always will be they never have depth. Rivera was very very good at developing talent and “no names” Carolina has churned out a decent amount of offensive linemen who were drafted super late or not at all. For years and years though they just have no depth. 
Add in the fact that they invested money in players always at the wrong time. D’Angelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Charles Johnson, they paid these guys big money contracts after their decline started. Look at some of the current contracts on the team and they are paying good money to some unproductive players which everyone does, but it kills the team when you have a quarterback not on a rookie deal. Also Kuechly and his concussions have been rough. They attempted to switch to a 3-4 this year and I’m still not sure why,  they didn’t have the personnel for it. Also their secondary has been mostly trash for like 10 years. Josh Norman was the one anomaly and we can probably think our coach mcd for Norman’s limited success. We are spoiled with Poyer and Hyde. Anyone bored go look at the Carolina safeties for the last 10 years!! A revolving door of past their prime veterans and guys who probably won’t be in the league very long. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

It’s the same as Redskins fans constantly moaning that they let McVay and Kyle Shanahan leave the program and kept Jay Gruden over them. It happens with all franchises eventually.  You lose someone and he flourishes somewhere else.

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Interesting 

It’s amazing to me the level of ignorance regarding Allen’s talent. Now of course he hasn’t produced consistently at a high level yet, but he literally has the strongest arm in nfl history (not an exaggeration), Has prototypical size, and can fly (for a big QB).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It’s amazing to me the level of ignorance regarding Allen’s talent. Now of course he hasn’t produced consistently at a high level yet, but he literally has the strongest arm in nfl history (not an exaggeration), Has prototypical size, and can fly (for a big QB).

One guy on the board said that.  "they dont seem to have respect for Allen" is fake news.  But now you know how the media works.