Front office incompetence is going to ruin Darnold just like Rosen

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Jets dysfunction makes 2 games a year easier to win as the Bills continue to improve. I am pretty confidant that Bill Belichick has been very interested in the dysfunction of the Bills since he got to New England and has used it to his advantage. It would be wonderful to be on the other end of that with teams going forward.

I'm pretty sure the Pats have been more about holding themselves to a high standard and playing up to that standard year in and year out; that's all I care about with the Bills moving forward, follow that model, and things should fall in place regardless of what's going on outside of the organization.

8 hours ago, syhuang said:

Darnold is the worst QB against blitz. On the side note, look who is the fifth worst.

Brady turns into a little girl against the Blitz and throws a 3 yard intentional grounding pass (which never gets called) instead of trying to make a play despite a hit coming. Wuss

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Brady turns into a little girl against the Blitz and throws a 3 yard intentional grounding pass (which never gets called) instead of trying to make a play despite a hit coming. Wuss

That’s how Marino was towards the end of his career to. Seemed like he’d rather throw a pick than get hit.  

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Do you really believe that Rosen has not had success because of front office incompetence ?

He’s been placed on two of the worst teams and in the case of the Cardinals, a poorly coached one as well. Even if you don’t like him as a prospect or as a person you’d have to agree that he’s been set up to fail from the beginning

• Like (+1) 1

Jets got to get their o-line fixed. But they'll probably do something dumb like back up the brinks truck to sign Cooper. 

The thing that would scare me the most about Darnold if I were a Jets fan is how terrible he is when under serious pressure. Throwing balls up for grabs off his back foot. Even if or when the Jets get a good o-line they will still have games where they get pressured by great defenses. What will Sam do?

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I hope Darnold is a slow bust who takes years of that franchises time only to end up being a scrub.

Lets hope we can make an SAT analogy question of them.  Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are to 2018 as Blackledge, Eason and O'Brien are to 1983.  

9 hours ago, syhuang said:

Darnold is the worst QB against blitz. On the side note, look who is the fifth worst.

I do not respect this list much.  Did the protection hold up or fail?  Did it involve a stunt and did the protection block it?  Last year's o-line was worthless against a line stunt.  Did the blitz result in a sack, sack/fumble or a throwaway?  The NFL passer rating only accounts for the latter outcome which is better than the prior  two which are not accounted for.  Did the QB break the pocket and run for a score or first down?   This time great outcomes that are not accounted for in the passer rating formula.

Passer rating ignores some of the best and worst outcomes that actually translate into winning football games.

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

People are now giving the front office credit for properly bringing Josh along. In fact Allen against all odds carried the front office.  He was good enough to salvage something from the 2018 season which by all rights should have ruined him. They surrounded him with a receiving corps that included Kelvin Benjamin as a number one, no offensive line, and no quarterback room until half the season was over. 

That's nonsense that this "by all rights should have ruined him." Plenty of rookie QBs on rebuilding teams came onto teams without much around them. Think Troy Aikman. Joe Montana. Peyton Manning. Plenty of others. I suppose it might have ruined some players but again, lots of franchise QBs brought in during rebuilds had little talent around them the first year. If the GM brings in guys to fill in after that, plenty of those QBs go on to become franchise guys, if they have it in them in the first place.

The Bills used virtually no resources on the offense before that year, except to bring in Allen himself. That was the plan, and it has worked out fine indeed, largely because by skimping on the offense and getting rid of big salaries, they cleared up the cap superbly, allowing them to address the offensive side this year.

Anyway, there's every evidence they didn't want Allen to play that year or at least not till the end. But they screwed up (they have admitted this) by not bringing in Derek Anderson when they let McCarron go.

Allen has certainly done his part.

So has the front office. They have been terrific by all evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Or maybe Darnold was never good to begin with...

How was it a “great pre-emptive move” to give away three second round picks in order to chose Darnold, instead of staying where they were and taking Allen?

Because it gave them the choice of whichever QB the Browns didn't take. The fact you (and I) believe they made the wrong choice, is irrelevant, what matters is that they gave themselves the most choice they could, short of trading to the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I hate these graphics cause they never link to the full list... Where is Allen on this? 

I don't know where he rates for the entire season but I did see a line at the bottom of NFL network that said the Ravens blitz more than any other team in the league and hold opposing QBs to a passer rating of 65 (or right around there) which is also best in the league.

Allen, it said, had a passer rating of over 100 vs. the blitz in his last 7 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MDH said:

I don't know where he rates for the entire season but I did see a line at the bottom of NFL network that said the Ravens blitz more than any other team in the league and hold opposing QBs to a passer rating of 65 (or right around there) which is also best in the league.

Allen, it said, had a passer rating of over 100 vs. the blitz in his last 7 games.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Because it gave them the choice of whichever QB the Browns didn't take. The fact you (and I) believe they made the wrong choice, is irrelevant, what matters is that they gave themselves the most choice they could, short of trading to the #1 pick.

And they would have been better off sitting at 6 and taking JA.  So it was an arrogant and wrong decision.  They had no idea which of the QBs was going to be best.  You don’t think the Jests could use those 3 second round picks right now?

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2019-is-over-stick-a-fork-in-us.93232/page-4

"A HR to me this offseason would be improving the OL first and then the secondary. This isn't going to be a quick fix. I expect it to take a couple of years before the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender. Fix the OL and that will help Darnold and Bell which will help us become more competitive. Like everyone else I am tired of 4-12, 5-11 type of seasons. If the Bills can turn it around then why can't the Jets."

Saw this post on Gang Green, the Jets version of TBD, after the Jets were beat down by the winless Bengals.  This sounds familiar.  The Bills were in the same boat last off season with sub-par O-line play.  Fortunately, Beane made it a priority to address it during the off season and he has turned a team weakness into a strength and that has allowed Allen to continue to develop. Darnold has not been as lucky.  He is getting hammered in the pocket and running for his life seemingly every snap.  He's going to end up just like Josh Rosen.

From a selfish Bills point of view I hope the Jet's management continues to bring in the shiny toys like Le'veon Bell this off season and continues to neglect the O-line.  It's amazing to me that ordinary fans like the Jet's poster above has more insight on how to build a successful football team than the "experts" in the front office of these football franchises. A flashy RB is nice but the O-Line is the engine of any offense.  If you have no O-line, nothing else really matters.  Investing in a "franchise QB" like Darnold and then not making any moves to shore up the bad O-line in front of him is football GM malpractice.   Looking at these Jets fans in purgatory reminds me how lucky we are to finally have a front office that seems to get it, that has a plan, and is systematically working the plan.  

Agree 100%. Think any reasonable person could have seen this coming which says a lot about the Jets former front office. Regardless of what side of the 'pay vs don't pay RBs' debate you are on, shelling out big bucks for Bell never made sense behind that terrible O-line.

Going back to the offseason, the top two Centers available were Morse and Matt Paradis (in some order) and most people expected one of them to sign with the Jets given their huge need and cap space. Not sure how Paradis has played in Carolina, but Morse (although slightly overpaid) has been a massive upgrade over Groy who is out of the league. 

Our front office has their priorities straight and let's hope our division rivals don't learn their lessons. Go Bills, excited for this game tomorrow!

• Like (+1) 2