Front office incompetence is going to ruin Darnold just like Rosen

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I still remember one Saturday morning in March 2018 when so many TBD'ers went ape-sh** after NYJ sent 3 second rounders to Indianapolis to move up to take Darnold.

The demand from a lot of fans that day was Beane "do something" and for some that meant trading from 12 to 2 no matter the cost.  Funny how things play out. :lol:

Reminds me of Marv Levy's comment about not listening to the fans because you'll wind up next to them if you do.  

this is true. 

I recall that as clear as day. 

and to show how I can’t throw stones, I was really bummed the Bills didn’t take Rosen. Not like mad and wanting Beane to get fired or anything, but if I was in that spot I would have taken Rosen. Now I get nauseous just thinking about that. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think this conversation is a testament to heart and character of Josh Allen, his rookie year he played behind an O line that this year could not even get playing time on another NFL team or aren't even on a roster. Yet he went out every week unfazed and just competed hurling LBs and doing whatever he could to move the sticks and taking that subpar offense on his shoulders. When others like Rosen and Darnolds crawled into a shell JA stood tall, an attribute often over looked. Thankfully Beans cleared money and gave him a real offense, but JA hung in there like few often do.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2019-is-over-stick-a-fork-in-us.93232/page-4

"A HR to me this offseason would be improving the OL first and then the secondary. This isn't going to be a quick fix. I expect it to take a couple of years before the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender. Fix the OL and that will help Darnold and Bell which will help us become more competitive. Like everyone else I am tired of 4-12, 5-11 type of seasons. If the Bills can turn it around then why can't the Jets."

Saw this post on Gang Green, the Jets version of TBD, after the Jets were beat down by the winless Bengals.  This sounds familiar.  The Bills were in the same boat last off season with sub-par O-line play.  Fortunately, Beane made it a priority to address it during the off season and he has turned a team weakness into a strength and that has allowed Allen to continue to develop. Darnold has not been as lucky.  He is getting hammered in the pocket and running for his life seemingly every snap.  He's going to end up just like Josh Rosen.

From a selfish Bills point of view I hope the Jet's management continues to bring in the shiny toys like Le'veon Bell this off season and continues to neglect the O-line.  It's amazing to me that ordinary fans like the Jet's poster above has more insight on how to build a successful football team than the "experts" in the front office of these football franchises. A flashy RB is nice but the O-Line is the engine of any offense.  If you have no O-line, nothing else really matters.  Investing in a "franchise QB" like Darnold and then not making any moves to shore up the bad O-line in front of him is football GM malpractice.   Looking at these Jets fans in purgatory reminds me how lucky we are to finally have a front office that seems to get it, that has a plan, and is systematically working the plan. 

Somewhere recently there was an interview with Andre Roberts about differences being with the Bills vs the Jets.

He said something like "well, the GM talks to the coach, that didn't happen some other places I've beeen"  Oooooh, ?

19 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

I think this conversation is a testament to heart and character of Josh Allen, his rookie year he played behind an O line that this year could not even get playing time on another NFL team or aren't even on a roster. Yet he went out every week unfazed and just competed hurling LBs and doing whatever he could to move the sticks and taking that subpar offense on his shoulders. When others like Rosen and Darnolds crawled into a shell JA stood tall, an attribute often over looked. Thankfully Beans cleared money and gave him a real offense, but JA hung in there like few often do.

To be fair to Rosen and Darnold, Allen has tools (mobility) they lack.  It's not like they have Jackson type running abilities but hunkered down and shelled up.  It isn't like Rosen didn't try to move around or run, he just moves like a busted mower in tall grass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Uhhh, who cares?

Jets dysfunction makes 2 games a year easier to win as the Bills continue to improve. I am pretty confidant that Bill Belichick has been very interested in the dysfunction of the Bills since he got to New England and has used it to his advantage. It would be wonderful to be on the other end of that with teams going forward.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2019-is-over-stick-a-fork-in-us.93232/page-4

"A HR to me this offseason would be improving the OL first and then the secondary. This isn't going to be a quick fix. I expect it to take a couple of years before the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender. Fix the OL and that will help Darnold and Bell which will help us become more competitive. Like everyone else I am tired of 4-12, 5-11 type of seasons. If the Bills can turn it around then why can't the Jets."

Saw this post on Gang Green, the Jets version of TBD, after the Jets were beat down by the winless Bengals.  This sounds familiar.  The Bills were in the same boat last off season with sub-par O-line play.  Fortunately, Beane made it a priority to address it during the off season and he has turned a team weakness into a strength and that has allowed Allen to continue to develop. Darnold has not been as lucky.  He is getting hammered in the pocket and running for his life seemingly every snap.  He's going to end up just like Josh Rosen.

From a selfish Bills point of view I hope the Jet's management continues to bring in the shiny toys like Le'veon Bell this off season and continues to neglect the O-line.  It's amazing to me that ordinary fans like the Jet's poster above has more insight on how to build a successful football team than the "experts" in the front office of these football franchises. A flashy RB is nice but the O-Line is the engine of any offense.  If you have no O-line, nothing else really matters.  Investing in a "franchise QB" like Darnold and then not making any moves to shore up the bad O-line in front of him is football GM malpractice.   Looking at these Jets fans in purgatory reminds me how lucky we are to finally have a front office that seems to get it, that has a plan, and is systematically working the plan.  

Or maybe Darnold was never good to begin with...

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

There is truth in this.

However, they did react and attempt to right wrongs in as timely a fashion as they could.  It wasn't their intent for Josh to be starting as soon as he did. This off season, they certainly did their best to get things put right.

True enough.

Jest made a great pre-emptive move, that well snookered the Bills.

I suspect the thing that didn't cause outright panic, was the fact that the Bills FO knew they wanted Allen, and that they would still get a shot at taking him, without having to move above the Jest.

How was it a “great pre-emptive move” to give away three second round picks in order to chose Darnold, instead of staying where they were and taking Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

"Thankfully Beans cleared money and gave him a real offense, but JA hung in there like few often do." - This is an important point Beane and McDermott were never looking to build a team that would compete for a year .. they are looking to build a team that is always competitive, year after year. That meant carrying lots of dead money as we cut people with bloated contracts. This year they used the space to find people who fit at the right price .. some have been home runs and some have been strike-outs but none put them in cap jail (e.g., Laveon Bell with the Jets). The team has a lot of money to spend next year .. so the team is not prevented from finding the next few guys who fit at the right price and will make the team even more competitive next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

To be fair, he hurdled one LB, one time. ☺

The “experts” in the media had Darnold and Mayfield rated top two, Rosen and Allen as next two.  Allen being the likely 4th place guy due to to his lesser pedigree.  Lamar was “the other guy” who could get drafted in the first round- a consolation to teams that did not have a prime pick.  

Looking at the draft order, most scouts and GMs agreed with the media projection..  Today Lamar, the last in the class, is the toast of the draft, a superstar in year 2.  Allen still gets a lot of negative press, despite his accomplishments in the W-L column.  Mayfield and Darnold - well the media expert still hope to see them develop since the have pitched them so hard.  

Rosen is lost in Miami. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Not trying to be funny -- was it just me or did Darnold's backside look fat on Sunday? He looked out of shape, which is strange. But maybe it's not strange if he's getting wasted after games, as rumored.

Having backside having more padding is getting shape when you are being knocked onto your ass multiple times a day.

The padding is cushioning.

• Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

To be fair, he hurdled one LB, one time. ☺

Q: How many times does he have to hurdle a PB LB to show the League he can do it? A: Once.

He also did it in college and High School, ONCE. I imaging somewhere around his 8th or 9th season, some whippersnapper LB will challenge him again by closing off his direction to the 1st Down marker. 

That should ice it for the HOF.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Also, I refuse to let the "Front office ruined Rosen" narrative exist. Rosen is a bust because he lacked work ethic and had a me first personality. The same damn reason many of us around here wanted nothing to do with him, and the same reason he got put on the "everything must go" yard sale page within a year of being drafted.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, syhuang said:

Darnold is the worst QB against blitz. On the side note, look who is the fifth worst.

I hate these graphics cause they never link to the full list... Where is Allen on this? 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Good , payback for the cheap hit on Hauschka who has not been the same since. I do not trust Greg Williams for a second.

Not that i disagree, but Williams was in Cleveland at that time. 

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I only watched four of five of Darnold’s college games in his last season but the thing I thought, after each one was, “I don’t see the hype.”

We got the correct guy. I trust Beane and his staff and they knew/know what they’re doing. 

Darnold is a mechanically sound QB. I.E. - A scouts wet dream. The problem is, that mechanics without killer instinct, football IQ, and overall ability to get the job done, are pretty worthless. Darnold didn't show that consistently at USC, and he isn't now.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

They’re gonna be signing guys left and right in free agency 

Good thing nothing horrible has happened to ruin their reputation among agents and players.... hmm 

• Thank you (+1) 1