Front office incompetence is going to ruin Darnold just like Rosen

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2019-is-over-stick-a-fork-in-us.93232/page-4

"A HR to me this offseason would be improving the OL first and then the secondary. This isn't going to be a quick fix. I expect it to take a couple of years before the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender. Fix the OL and that will help Darnold and Bell which will help us become more competitive. Like everyone else I am tired of 4-12, 5-11 type of seasons. If the Bills can turn it around then why can't the Jets."

Saw this post on Gang Green, the Jets version of TBD, after the Jets were beat down by the winless Bengals.  This sounds familiar.  The Bills were in the same boat last off season with sub-par O-line play.  Fortunately, Beane made it a priority to address it during the off season and he has turned a team weakness into a strength and that has allowed Allen to continue to develop. Darnold has not been as lucky.  He is getting hammered in the pocket and running for his life seemingly every snap.  He's going to end up just like Josh Rosen.

From a selfish Bills point of view I hope the Jet's management continues to bring in the shiny toys like Le'veon Bell this off season and continues to neglect the O-line.  It's amazing to me that ordinary fans like the Jet's poster above has more insight on how to build a successful football team than the "experts" in the front office of these football franchises. A flashy RB is nice but the O-Line is the engine of any offense.  If you have no O-line, nothing else really matters.  Investing in a "franchise QB" like Darnold and then not making any moves to shore up the bad O-line in front of him is football GM malpractice.   Looking at these Jets fans in purgatory reminds me how lucky we are to finally have a front office that seems to get it, that has a plan, and is systematically working the plan.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still remember one Saturday morning in March 2018 when so many TBD'ers went ape-sh** after NYJ sent 3 second rounders to Indianapolis to move up to take Darnold.

The demand from a lot of fans that day was Beane "do something" and for some that meant trading from 12 to 2 no matter the cost.  Funny how things play out. :lol:

Reminds me of Marv Levy's comment about not listening to the fans because you'll wind up next to them if you do.  

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Bean had a pretty great offseason got 4 new starters on O-line along with depth and a new O-line coach that's done a great job of getting them in sync. Does the line still need work sure though I think you have to work on it every year but a few more moves and the line could be really good. He also basically reworked the WR and TE rooms and they've improved a good bit from last year. Another offseason with improvement like that and this offense could be really fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 4

People are now giving the front office credit for properly bringing Josh along. In fact Allen against all odds carried the front office.  He was good enough to salvage something from the 2018 season which by all rights should have ruined him. They surrounded him with a receiving corps that included Kelvin Benjamin as a number one, no offensive line, and no quarterback room until half the season was over. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

People are now giving the front office credit for properly bringing Josh along. In fact Allen against all odds carried the front office.  He was good enough to salvage something from the 2018 season which by all rights should have ruined him. They surrounded him with a receiving corps that included Kelvin Benjamin as a number one, no offensive line, and no quarterback room until half the season was over. 

There is truth in this.

However, they did react and attempt to right wrongs in as timely a fashion as they could.  It wasn't their intent for Josh to be starting as soon as he did. This off season, they certainly did their best to get things put right.

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I still remember one Saturday morning in March 2018 when so many TBD'ers went ape-sh** after NYJ sent 3 second rounders to Indianapolis to move up to take Darnold.

The demand from a lot of fans that day was Beane "do something" and for some that meant trading from 12 to 2 no matter the cost.  Funny how things play out. :lol:

Reminds me of Marv Levy's comment about not listening to the fans because you'll wind up next to them if you do.  

True enough.

Jest made a great pre-emptive move, that well snookered the Bills.

I suspect the thing that didn't cause outright panic, was the fact that the Bills FO knew they wanted Allen, and that they would still get a shot at taking him, without having to move above the Jest.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2019-is-over-stick-a-fork-in-us.93232/page-4

"A HR to me this offseason would be improving the OL first and then the secondary. This isn't going to be a quick fix. I expect it to take a couple of years before the Jets can be a Super Bowl contender. Fix the OL and that will help Darnold and Bell which will help us become more competitive. Like everyone else I am tired of 4-12, 5-11 type of seasons. If the Bills can turn it around then why can't the Jets."

Saw this post on Gang Green, the Jets version of TBD, after the Jets were beat down by the winless Bengals.  This sounds familiar.  The Bills were in the same boat last off season with sub-par O-line play.  Fortunately, Beane made it a priority to address it during the off season and he has turned a team weakness into a strength and that has allowed Allen to continue to develop. Darnold has not been as lucky.  He is getting hammered in the pocket and running for his life seemingly every snap.  He's going to end up just like Josh Rosen.

From a selfish Bills point of view I hope the Jet's management continues to bring in the shiny toys like Le'veon Bell this off season and continues to neglect the O-line.  It's amazing to me that ordinary fans like the Jet's poster above has more insight on how to build a successful football team than the "experts" in the front office of these football franchises. A flashy RB is nice but the O-Line is the engine of any offense.  If you have no O-line, nothing else really matters.  Investing in a "franchise QB" like Darnold and then not making any moves to shore up the bad O-line in front of him is football GM malpractice.   Looking at these Jets fans in purgatory reminds me how lucky we are to finally have a front office that seems to get it, that has a plan, and is systematically working the plan.  

Jets have had more than their fair share of “great” QBs who never panned out like they hoped, regardless of OL quality. It’s still very early on for Darnold, but I suspect he’s going to be just another in the long line of anointed QB disappointments. When your very best hasn’t played in nearly 50 years, that’s where they’ve really missed the boat, imo.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1079252-new-york-jets-top-7-quarterbacks-in-franchise-history#slide6

• Like (+1) 1

That is what any Bills fan should Hope for, and not just for the Jets.  

Go Bills!!!

I only watched four of five of Darnold’s college games in his last season but the thing I thought, after each one was, “I don’t see the hype.”

We got the correct guy. I trust Beane and his staff and they knew/know what they’re doing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, until Gase and that current regime is gone and maybe even the owner, I think the Jets are screwed. I don't see them being a popular destination for FA's because of all the turmoil, the medical staff, and the way they have handled a multitude of situations with their players. Their drafts have also been quite lackluster for the last handful of years outside of Jamal Adams. They are destined for mediocrity or less at this point. The years with Gase will be wasted years of Darnold when they look back on it all. And on a side note, I hope they give Gase another couple of years. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2