No Steve Tasker on NFL 100???

BillsFan692

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wonder how many current players are going to make this list. At first thought, I figured a few and now that I’m really thinking about it, you are really probably only looking at Brady and Viniteri. There almost definitely won’t be anyone else unless you count coaches. 

There are plenty.

Russell Wilson will get in. Drew Brees, Ben Rothelisberger, possibly Eli Manning, JJ Watt, Khalil Mack , Von Miller, Gronkowski (considered current?), Aaron Rodgers, I could see Patrick Peterson getting in....

I may have missed on some, but there are way more than just Brees and Viniteri from this era going in.

Edited by 32ABBA

43 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Rodgers?

Brees?

Van Der Esch?

Van Der Esch? Now that the cowboys know Sean Lee isn’t the best linebacker in history the media gloms on to this guy. Unbelievable. God, I hate the Cowboys almost as much as the Patriots.large.42C52E1F-9DD7-49F8-999E-64BD35A0F09C.gif.1648600dd8b9fe0654a4d8ed84452a33.gif

Just now, TheProcess said:

Oh I’m with you. It’s silly to include ST players on this list. Especially, when thinking of all the great players you have to cut from the top 100 of all time to include them. It’s a disservice to all the great players from other position groups who were left off the list that contributed more to the game (e.g., Warren Sapp, JJ Watt, some of the great QBs and receivers that will inevitably be left off). But, if they are feeling the need to squeeze in ST players, Tasker should be near the top of the list. Just my opinion though. 

But he certainly shouldn't be ahead of guys who scored 2000+ points in the league.   Tasker was great at what he did, but what he did accounted for what, 10 yards of field position per game?   How many games ever came down to Tasker covering a punt?

55 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Rodgers?

Brees?

Van Der Esch?

Haha Van Der Esch lol... That's rich. RiotAct are you in reality Troy Aikman? I do remember a Cowboys Saints game last year where Aikman basically crowned him a no brainer first ballot HOF'er Brian Urlacher clone. It was a bit over the top even for Troy 

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But he certainly shouldn't be ahead of guys who scored 2000+ points in the league.   Tasker was great at what he did, but what he did accounted for what, 10 yards of field position per game?   How many games ever came down to Tasker covering a punt?

Agree. If I had to choose special teams for the list, I’d probably limit it to around 5 or 6 players. For sure, I’d include scoring leaders like Vinatieri and Morten Anderson as kickers. I’d probably choose two returners. Maybe a Brian Mitchell and Devin Hester. One coverage guy - Tasker. And one punter - someone like Ray Guy or Shane Lechler. And even 6 is way too much when you only have 100 slots. That’s why I maintain that including ST is silly. They all have such a limited role each game. 

Edited by TheProcess

The first place to look for NFL all time team is obviously career stats. The only position in which active players will dominate is QB - Brees, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, E. Manning and Matt Ryan are all in the top 10 in career passing stats. Discount Rivers and Ryan a bit for not winning enough - but one can make a case for the other three.

One other active player who might make the list is Adrian Peterson - he is #6 in yards and has probably been more dominant than some above him (like Gore - who I love BTW). After these two the next highest career rushing yards guy is Shady at #22 - so he wont really make it.

In receiving, Fitzgerald is #2 in receiving all time - so he will probably make it. Also Jason Witten is #2 or #3 among TEs in receiving (overall #19) - so he could get in.

Amazing how bad the career stats of the active defensive players look. Active sack leader Suggs is #9 with "just" 138 sacks and Von Miller is the next active guy with "just" 104 sacks - compare to Bruce and Reggie White who are far ahead with 200 and 198. In interceptions, it is worse - Richard Sheman and Aqib Talib are tied for #128! with 35. Just for comparison, in the modern era you had the Woodsons (Rod and Charles) with 71 and 65 respectively. So one can bet no active pure CB or DE will make it (unless the Pats and Belichik fix is in for Gilmore). Khalil Mack (60.5 sacks in just 5+ season) might make it for versatility (LB + DE) and Donald might make it for his 64 sacks as a DT in just 5+ seasons. But those two are also very iffy. 

I wonder if defensive players longevity has declined over time?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Steve Tasker was arguably one of the best Special Teamers of all time. They break these lists down into positions, and obviously he should be in the top 100 of any Special Teams list. Whoever said that Tasker wasn't that great doesn't know enough about what he accomplished in the NFL, and how many different Special Teams positions he not only was asked to play, but also how many of those positions he performed at the highest level in. By the way, he also played some Receiver as well as juggling all his other duties on Special Teams. 

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

It’s silly to even include special teams players in the top 100 players of all time, but if you’re going to include them, Tasker is pretty widely thought of as the greatest special teams player of all time. As such, he should be on the list. 

There are at least 4 punters, 10 kickers, and 5 return guys I would put on the top 200 before I would put Tasker on there for special teams. 

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'd add Brees. I think he's top 5 all time and that should get it done as a QB.

I think Brady brees and Peyton Manning are 3 of the 6 or 7 best QBs of all time as well but I don’t think they will put Brees on the list. They are really pushing these older generation players. I think they will do Brady and Manning and then a bunch of yesteryear QBs.

Wait, is the OP suggesting that Steve Tasker is one of the 100 best football players of all time?

I mean, I love Tasker and he was a great special team we, but there are probably 100 better football players right now in the NFL.