Just how bad is the NFC East? THIS BAD!

StHustle

image.thumb.png.71fa18cb66bd05ec0b13f2b67aab89f4.png

Redskins are currently in the #3 overall pick spot and they STILL have a chance to win the division ???. We are about to be in the 2nd week of December folks!

The NFC LEast division is ON PACE (not just a possibility but actually on pace) to be the WORST DIVISION IN NFL HISTORY!

Im sorry but with all 4 Superbowl losses coming to these teams, I must admit I get a kick out of this. Oh yeah it helps that we happen to be SOARING in the same season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-bad-is-the-nfc-east-comparing-the-worst-division-in-2019-to-the-worst-in-nfl-history/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

When you only have four teams in a division you're going to get this from time to time.  I still like the way the NFL schedule is put together minus the division winner getting an automatic home playoff game (to make the division title important it still should be an automatic playoff birth).  Just do it by record so Dallas or Philly should make it as the sixth seed where they have to travel to Seattle or San Francisco.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just do it by record so Dallas or Philly should make it as the sixth seed where they have to travel to Seattle or San Francisco.

This change is long overdue. It's highly unlikely but it's possible a 6-10 team wins that division. Imagine that. A 6-10 team hosting a 10-6 wildcard team...makes Zero sense. If that were to happen, it would be addressed this off season for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

This change is long overdue. It's highly unlikely but it's possible a 6-10 team wins that division. Imagine that. A 6-10 team hosting a 10-6 wildcard team...makes Zero sense. If that were to happen, it would be addressed this off season for sure.

It wasn't addressed the year we had the 7-9 NFC West division champ Seahawks hosting the 11-5 wildcard New Orleans Saints

Seahawks beat 'em too.

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

that one year Seattle won the division at 7-9 then won a playoff game!

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

I actually want this to happen. This will likely be the only way the league will want to gut the seeding process and stop giving division winners such a free pass. Maybe they will just get a +1 or +2 and then seed by record

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It wasn't addressed the year we had the 7-9 NFC West division champ Seahawks hosting the 11-5 wildcard New Orleans Saints

Seahawks beat 'em too.

I still believe that winning the division should get priority. This same rotating schedule is perfect and been around for awhile so your always going to have a outlier.

...If peeps want a "fair" seeding put both conferences in two 16 team conferences playing everybody 1 time in the conference and 1 rotating cross conference game. Top 7 in each conference make the playoffs with winner getting a 1st round bye.

Makes absolutely zero sense to have the worst team ever host a playoff game. Also screws over good teams from time to time who have a tough division (could happen to Buffalo this season). Why punish a team for playing in a good division and succeeding. Their reward, an away game. If you want to make it so wild card teams can never be the 1 and 2 seed and get a bye, fine. But they need to reseed 3-6 based on record. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Possible, sure, but that's not going to happen. One of them will get to 9-7.

8 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Makes absolutely zero sense to have the worst team ever host a playoff game. Also screws over good teams from time to time who have a tough division (could happen to Buffalo this season). Why punish a team for playing in a good division and succeeding. Their reward, an away game. If you want to make it so wild card teams can never be the 1 and 2 seed and get a bye, fine. But they need to reseed 3-6 based on record. 

If you don't like it, go win your division. You get in on a wild card, you don't get to have nice things.

The struggle of the NFL is something I like. I don't want it easier for teams. If you are going to use a divisional structure it should mean something. Your entire focus should be on winning the division, and if you don't, you have an uphill battle to fight. I like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Possible, sure, but that's not going to happen. One of them will get to 9-7.

Who how. Dallas is closer of them all and I can see them not winning 2 more with Rams, Eagles, Skins left.  

Eagles have 5 wins with Giants twice, Skins, and Cowboys. 7 wins will most likely win that division

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I still believe that winning the division should get priority. This same rotating schedule is perfect and been around for awhile so your always going to have a outlier.

...If peeps want a "fair" seeding put both conferences in two 16 team conferences playing everybody 1 time in the conference and 1 rotating cross conference game. Top 7 in each conference make the playoffs with winner getting a 1st round bye.

I would hate playing the same teams every year with just "1 rotating cross conference game." Dont like the idea at all.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Who how. Dallas is closer of them all and I can see them not winning 2 more with Rams, Eagles, Skins left.  

Eagles have 5 wins with Giants twice, Skins, and Cowboys. 7 wins will most likely win that division

Giants suck and skins suck. I think the Eagles get it done and get to 8 or 9 wins for the division.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Hasn’t been a repeat winner in the division since the format started in 2002

Meanwhile, there has only been one winner in the AFC east since 2002 (minus the Jets one year in there, Rex's one winning season as a coach, the year Brady got hurt).

42 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Meanwhile, there has only been one winner in the AFC east since 2002 (minus the Jets one year in there, Rex's one winning season as a coach, the year Brady got hurt).

Wasn't it the fishies that won the divison that year?

Edited by Conlan58
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

I would hate playing the same teams every year with just "1 rotating cross conference game." Dont like the idea at all.

Me too. And I think it would be boring to play each NFC team only once ever 16 years.

• Like (+1) 1

About the best idea for making things reflect better teams performances throughout the year, while still retaining divisions, is to have an automatic playoff place for division winners, but no automatic home field advantage. That way, teams overall records are recognised, and they can be rewarded for keeping the pedal to the metal.

Should the Bills win Sunday, iirc, they will be definitely in the playoffs. They could field backups the remaining 3 games, if they wanted to. While I realise we are still in the hunt for the Division, so we won't be doing that, but if we lost to the Steelers the following week, we could well be in a situation that even winning vs Cheats and Jest we cannot really improve just getting a w/c game.

Under those situations, I think I'd rather have something else on the games, that can ensure teams play out the season, and having a win/loss record that could get you some home field advantage, might go some way towards that.