Hauschka responds to Bills waiver claim on kicker

YoloinOhio

A good kicker is like a beautiful woman, they aren't necessarily going to be rational, because they are so in demand.

Right now, Hauschka is an aging beauty, who hasn't come to terms with her fading looks. Announcing on Facebook that you are now looking at other women, might not work out the way you hope.

Edited by 32ABBA

It’s the nature of being an NFL kicker. More than any other player, you’re really only as good as your last game. All NFL Ks get in their own head at some point; they’re a strange breed. If Hauschka was on a different team, there’s a good chance he’d have been released already. McD give vets a lot of leeway, but even his patience has to be wearing thin. Hausch is officially on notice from here on out. It’s up to him to solve it. The Bills won’t be able to improve at the position until the offseason, so hopefully he works it out. 

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Yolo I still say it started when he got cheap shotted by the Jets on the kickoff return.

Agreed.  IMO, his whole body language seems much more 'timid' and reserved than before his injury on that play.   Not sure he's going to shake that, to be honest...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we put the claim in to stop the Cheaters from getting him. They probably viewed it as a 'win win' as they could keep him for the future if we were awarded him, and also stopped the Cheats from getting a decent kicker for the rest of the season.

As it worked out, the Colts claim stopped that from happening, but I'm sure that at least part of it was to prevent the Cheats from getting im.

14 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

It was a smart move by the Bills to block out the Patriots if he fell.

Yolo I still say it started when he got cheap shotted by the Jets on the kickoff return.

Also the Jarvis Landry hit on Aaron Williams , Gronk hit on Tre ,  it's frustrating . What goes around comes around someday.

15 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

His body language after that kick that bounced in said it all. I have nothing against Stephen and it appears it’s a mental issue not physical one. Hope he gets a couple to pop through and puts this behind him. 

It's definitely got to be some sort of mental issue. His kickoffs are still flying the same as last year, but starting with the first Miami game last season his FG kicking has been pretty unreliable. 

Last season he missed one in the opener vs Baltimore and then was money through the Jacksonville game. 16/17 for the season to that point. Then 1/2 at Miami, 3/5 vs the Jets, 2/3 at NE and 0/1 vs Miami to finish the season on a 6/11 stretch and 22/28 overall. 

15/21 this season puts him at 21/32 (65.6%) since that Miami game. If we want to call the Miami game a normal hiccup and use the cheapshot Jets game as the turning point, that makes it 20/30 and 66.7% which is still....not really good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was willing to give Hausch Money the benefit of the doubt, but the Dallas game removed my doubts.  We need to be looking for a kicker that is REAL money, not the counterfeit bills Hauschka's been passing lately.  The hard part is finding them.  Kicking is down across the league this year, so no one is really standing out as "I gotta get this guy".  The kickers on the street are a bunch of JAGs that no one wants.  For better or worse Hausch Money is our guy, so Bills Mafia needs to send good thoughts his way, and hope like hell he can get back his mojo.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The problem is the vet hasn't been right since the Jets game hit and there is no indication he ever will be again. Come up short on a 53 yarder? Inexcusable in today's NFL...maybe back in 1960 that would have flown but not today 

52 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I was willing to give Hausch Money the benefit of the doubt, but the Dallas game removed my doubts.  We need to be looking for a kicker that is REAL money, not the counterfeit bills Hauschka's been passing lately.  The hard part is finding them.  Kicking is down across the league this year, so no one is really standing out as "I gotta get this guy".  The kickers on the street are a bunch of JAGs that no one wants.  For better or worse Hausch Money is our guy, so Bills Mafia needs to send good thoughts his way, and hope like hell he can get back his mojo.

True BUT it sucks.

Hauschka is our weak link going into the playoffs.

We left 4 points on the field due to his misses on Thanksgiving. UGH

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Also the Jarvis Landry hit on Aaron Williams , Gronk hit on Tre ,  it's frustrating . What goes around comes around someday.

Let's not forget Sherman's hit on Carpenter (in what was arguably Tyrod's best game) in Seattle.

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

McDermott is trying to win games and if it hurts Hauschka's feelings that they put in a claim for another kicker............. too bad.

It's Hauschka's job to make his kicks when called upon. Case closed.

Agreed - I also don’t think if the Bills had been awarded the claim - it would have meant anything.  There were not going to cut Hauschka to allow him to go to NE.  

The claim was as much about preventing a mid level kicker making it to NE as it is about our Kicker.  My guess is we would have rolled with 2 kickers until our season was done.

11 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

Maybe if they do even more things to humiliate him it will help his game?

I mean, it's kind of all or nothing, either he responds well to this kind of pressure or he doesn't, so they may as well pull all the stops, huh?

Maybe send him to the end of the bench, and tell all the other players not to talk to him if he misses another kick?

Maybe give him bathroom stall for a locker?

Any other good ideas out there?

We gotta get this kicker on the right track for the playoffs!

Interesting mind you've got where putting in a waiver claim on another player is analogous to petty humiliations

• Like (+1) 2