Hauschka responds to Bills waiver claim on kicker

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Sure but he didn't come through in the Browns game this year which was very costly, and has been shaky pretty much all year.  I like him, but like someone earlier in the thread stated - kicking in the NFL is all about making them because it means points every time you step on the field for a FG or PAT.  Missing a good deal from 50+ isn't such an issue, but missing PATs and kicks less than 40 yds away is.  And he is missing both. 

He should be the first one to recognize he needs to get better.

Exactly.  He has missed one this year from 30-39 yd range that should be a "gimme"

FGM % from 50+ yds:

2017 78%

2018 57%

2019 20%

When he started kicking regularly in Seattle he was a 50/50 guy on 50+ yds, but he improved and had a couple years where he nailed every one

If he were still a 50/50 guy that would be one thing.... but 1 in 5 is no bueno, especially when he is no longer "money" from <40 yds

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

Of course that's the rational response, but messing with your kicker's head as you're approaching the playoffs is something that can backfire. Placing a claim then not landing the kicker is kind of a bad fail.

McDermott is trying to win games and if it hurts Hauschka's feelings that they put in a claim for another kicker............. too bad.

It's Hauschka's job to make his kicks when called upon. Case closed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

House you are loved

Until you start missing kicks

What is interesting is this exact same thing happened with him in Miami...then he came to us and became House Money

Which means that player is still in there....but not motivated?

That is Dan Carpenter you are thinking of. He had a great year in Miami then fell away got cut and came here. He had a great first year in Buffalo and then fell away and got cut and was never heard from again. 

I have zero rational basis to believe in Hauschka, but I still have a certain level of confidence that he'd make a "huge" kick if the situation presented itself.

He's on his last legs and this will likely be his last season in Buffalo, but BIGTIME kick; I think he'd get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not I’m sure I agree. He used to boom them through the EZ on kickoffs. Not happening lately. I think he’s lost power so he’s swinging harder and with less precision 

He is definitely not kicking with any rhythm. You only have to watch to see that. He is snatching at kicks. One possible explanation for that is exactly the one you give. His swing is less smooth because he is swinging harder and in less control, trying to make up for a loss in leg strength. 

I am not saying it is that but it would be consistent with the rhythm issues he is having. 

I’d have to verify this but it seemed like a lot of Haushka’s FG attempts were of the longer variety. With the exception of a couple bad games in which he missed shorter FGs (Browns & Cowboys I believe) most of his misses have come on kicks that are far from slam dunks, then you have to consider he’s probably played in more poor kicking conditions this season than the vast majority of kickers in the league.

THAT SAID.... this is definitely his worst season as a Bill, Dallas was in a dome and he still struggled, and McLaughlin seems to be pretty good  and had been doing well this season as well as in the pre-season for us, so I’m glad the Bills made an attempt at him on waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

It was a smart move by the Bills to block out the Patriots if he fell.

Yolo I still say it started when he got cheap shotted by the Jets on the kickoff return.

That and the ridiculous punter/holder carousel last year. But he definitely hasn’t been the same since Henry Anderson popped him. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is a more in-depth article/interview from Carucci

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/06/buffalo-bills-stephen-hauschka-seattle-seahawks-kicker-nfl-football/

"I'm going to come through for this team when it matters... except for the Cleveland game, which would've given us the inside track to homefield advantage throughout the playoffs."

This whole thing is kind of bizarre. The new quotes read like he's butthurt over the claim, which would be rather ridiculous.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

House you are loved

Until you start missing kicks

What is interesting is this exact same thing happened with him in Miami...then he came to us and became House Money

Which means that player is still in there....but not motivated?

You're thinking of Kid Rock who is now running for ***** office.

34 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I don’t know why he is so butt hurt.  He must realize that his performance  is not good 

enough.  If not, that is a whole different problem. 

I didn't quite get "butt hurt" from his comments. It may have been better PR to come out and say something like "yeah, I've sucked so I get it," but that's not the kind of mentality I want to see considering Haush is going to be the kicker for the rest of 2019.

I understand your point, but I want him to have the mentality that he's the best man for the job.

• Like (+1) 1

I couldn't resist thinking about a duality thinking regarding putting in a claim for Mclaughlin ... A:To look at a kicking option, B:To prevent the Cheaters from getting him.

Does B make any sense in that regard? If awarded you get dropped to bottom of list right? And then may not even keep him?

• Like (+1) 1