Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"

On 12/6/2019 at 4:06 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost everyone outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

Respectfully, please don't give me the "oh, you are being too sensitive", or "be bigger than them on this," or "well, let's be honest, they have a point."

They are not saying it to be jocular, although it seems like it.  For many of us, this is our home.  They are insulting our home.  In insulting our home they are insulting us...and they know they are doing it.

I'm making this up?  Really?

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

No, we don't and of course we shouldn't, but I just wish the brain dead national media could drop this tired, and yes, offensive stereo type once and for all.  If they say anything about Denver or Green Bay weather (which surprisingly is a rarity) it's done in an almost throwing of laurels fashion...not Buffalo...no people, Buffalo is the exception and it is perfectly fine...by them.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel."  Maybe, "You like your wings hot up there, but you're probably going to be bringing weak sauce against Baltimore."

Something...anything different.  

*sigh*  Glad I got that one out of my system.

GO BILLS.

After college (2002) I moved away from buffalo. Since then, I’ve lived in South Fl, Tucson AZ, Virginia Beach, DC, and another stint in VB. I now live in Hoboken, NJ (2 miles or 35 minutes from mid town manhattan.)

I understand loving your hometown. I’ll always be a Bills fan. But other than Tucson (which I hated), every city I’ve lived in, our even visited, has SO much more to offer than WNY. 

My wife and I visit Buffalo once a year, for 48 hours. The people are great but there just isn’t any reason to ever move back other than the cost of living. 

Are there hidden gems in Buffalo? Sure. But even with the “rebuild” you can see everything worth seeing in an afternoon. 

Its ok to love buffalo. It’s odd to see why other WNYers don’t understand why the area is picked on unless you’ve never experienced other areas. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, Limeaid said:

No because they know it to be true but the ones about Buffalo are often exaggerated when true.

One season I went up to Buffalo in winter for roads were clear and I saw a lot of snow plows on back of flatbed trucks - they were being shipped downstate to clear snow while Buffalo had barely a dusting. 

i see what you mean. the dumb comments can be the most grating.

14 hours ago, stevestojan said:

After college (2002) I moved away from buffalo. Since then, I’ve lived in South Fl, Tucson AZ, Virginia Beach, DC, and another stint in VB. I now live in Hoboken, NJ (2 miles or 35 minutes from mid town manhattan.)

I understand loving your hometown. I’ll always be a Bills fan. But other than Tucson (which I hated), every city I’ve lived in, our even visited, has SO much more to offer than WNY. 

My wife and I visit Buffalo once a year, for 48 hours. The people are great but there just isn’t any reason to ever move back other than the cost of living. 

Are there hidden gems in Buffalo? Sure. But even with the “rebuild” you can see everything worth seeing in an afternoon. 

Its ok to love buffalo. It’s odd to see why other WNYers don’t understand why the area is picked on unless you’ve never experienced other areas. 

Steve, absolutely nothing wrong with not loving Buffalo and liking every place else better.

...people are still missing my point...why is it so casual and routine to dis this place, without any thought that you're kind of being a jerk when you do it on regional or national raido or tv?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

On 12/6/2019 at 5:26 PM, billsfan_34 said:

If you go south a few miles to Pittsburgh their winters are much different than ours. Winter comes a bit later, Spring comes a bit sooner and normally in winter months they are 5-10 degrees warmer than we are. I would also venture to say they get more sunny days than us. We get socked in with this strange great lakes gloomy micro-climate weather patterns that most do not understand unless they have lived here.

My son played a few years back in a baseball tournament in Hershey, PA.  It was in Mid April I believe.  Driving there once you got by Williamsport it was weird all of sudden the grass was green, the flowers were all bloomed.  I couldn't believe it compared to everything that was brown and not bloomed from WNY to Williamsport.  It is amazing what a few miles south does for the weather, especially early winter & early spring.  

The weather gets to me a bit here & I don't see myself staying here for the winters when I am in my 50's.  With that being said it is not as bad as the rest of the nation makes it out to be.

15 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Hoboken sucks.  I guess it is great if your in your 20's & want to do the bar scene every night.  Other than that you could have it.  My friend lives down there, I took my son there for a few Mets games this summer.  My son couldn't believe the lack of greenery & all you see is concrete everywhere.  My son actually told me when we were going back to the airport "Dad I would hate to live here, it must be depressing."  

Edited by Gordio

9 hours ago, Gordio said:

Hoboken sucks.  I guess it is great if your in your 20's & want to do the bar scene every night.  Other than that you could have it.  My friend lives down there, I took my son there for a few Mets games this summer.  My son couldn't believe the lack of greenery & all you see is concrete everywhere.  My son actually told me when we were going back to the airport "Dad I would hate to live here, it must be depressing."  

To each their own I guess. I love it and it’s proximity to NY. A lot of bars, sure. But also more amazing restaurants and Weekly events within a one mile square than all of WNY. 

But I do understand wanting greenery. 

• Like (+1) 1