Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"

On 12/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, Chandler#81 said:

In ‘96, the company I was working for and figured to retire from, closed its doors after 105 years in operation there and moved to China. A nice severance pkg allowed me & Mrs. C to be selective on a new opportunity. Both of us 3rd generation WNY’ers, we’d come to hate it. (‘95, It must be noted here, saw 11 straight weekends of rain & Crap weather from late June through August -effectively wiping out an entire calendar year!) Of all the offers I received, I tossed every one local or northern aside and it came down to North Carolina or north Florida. Been among the palm trees ever since.

WNY weather is a constant stigma. Been there since the glaciers cut the Falls. Even in Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC, it’s getting nice by late March. It’s a full ’nother Month for Buffalo and late August is sweater weather.  If you choose to live there, ya gotta be tough. The weather there has sucked every year since the big bang.

Could be wrong, but I'm reading it as you chose N. Fl. I moved to N. Fl.(Tallahassee) in '89, back to Buff in '90 and came back to Tally in '93. Been here since. Where I live, we actually have a change in seasons. I love hitting 31degrees at night, but not seeing any snow. I could do without Aug., Sept, and Oct. here. I visit Buffalo nearly every summer. It is a beautiful place, in the summer. I love Buffalo, but give me a rider mower with a beer on a Saturday morning over a snow blower. My dad is always amazed at the lack of potholes when he visits.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

Which is crazy cuz Maryland is beautiful.

Some sketchy places. Don’t go for crab cakes after 9pm on the wrong side of tracks.

Maryland is a smaller state, but varied. Southern MD, Coastal Md, and Western Maryland (to include the mountainous coal country) all differ significantly from Baltimore. Western MD just as likely to be Steelers fans.

15 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Anywhere you go is what you make of it.

I’ve had a blast in tiny towns as well as big cities.

Everywhere has its good and bad, and I’m well aware of all aspects of WNY, NYS etc., I still love it here and we choose to stay.

Every city can’t be Miami or Dallas or NYC or LA., and I don’t understand the “tribalism” of such places as in “I’m from (‘big’ city), therefore everywhere else sucks!”. Well fantastic then, when you’re done visiting and/or dumping on places like Buffalo, you can go back and feel superior again!

Couldn't agree more!  

I love living in WNY, and if other people look down on it, make derogatory comments etc. etc. it has no affect on me.  

Like you said there is good and bad EVERYWHERE.

I love the seasons here.  Winter I love skiing and fishing (Trout in the lower Niagara), we have some of the best fishing in the Country, YEAR ROUND).  Spring is just an awesome experience in WNY, watching everything come back to life and the chance to get my plants started. Summer is perfect (for me) love gardening. Fall is all about Salmon fishing in the lower river and hunting, I live rural so it is also very beautiful this time of year, and...um...oh yeah BILLS SEASON.

I just don't care what others think about WNY, they like it, great, they hate it, great.  The morons that make it a point to bash WNY continually are just ignorant, insecure little people.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't know where you're getting your information, but Southern California does not get any water from the Great Lakes.

Only a matter of time then. I know a lot of other places in the Southwest do.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost everyone outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

Respectfully, please don't give me the "oh, you are being too sensitive", or "be bigger than them on this," or "well, let's be honest, they have a point."

They are not saying it to be jocular, although it seems like it.  For many of us, this is our home.  They are insulting our home.  In insulting our home they are insulting us...and they know they are doing it.

I'm making this up?  Really?

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

No, we don't and of course we shouldn't, but I just wish the brain dead national media could drop this tired, and yes, offensive stereo type once and for all.  If they say anything about Denver or Green Bay weather (which surprisingly is a rarity) it's done in an almost throwing of laurels fashion...not Buffalo...no people, Buffalo is the exception and it is perfectly fine...by them.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel."  Maybe, "You like your wings hot up there, but you're probably going to be bringing weak sauce against Baltimore."

Something...anything different.  

*sigh*  Glad I got that one out of my system.

GO BILLS.

ok boomer 

• Haha (+1) 2

Can't be mad about people's opinions. There's people in here saying the weather sucks.

Well I lived in SW Florida for nearly 10 years and personally, I think their weather sucks. No change in season, deadly storms and so ***** hot you sit inside like it's a blizzard or something. It's overcrowded, expensive and all around pretty terrible. Unless you love to boat, fish or are a lizard man of some sort it ain't that great.

I personally love WNY. Other people have different opinions and that's OK. That's why this country is great, something for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, In Summary said:

Maryland is a smaller state, but varied. Southern MD, Coastal Md, and Western Maryland (to include the mountainous coal country) all differ significantly from Baltimore. Western MD just as likely to be Steelers fans.

Gotta find the hole in the wall places that only the locals know about those are the best!

On 12/7/2019 at 2:49 AM, GunnerBill said:

I appreciate the passion OP. I don't really understand it but I appreciate it. I don't have any local pride in where I grew up. I don't consider it home, it is just a place I lived when I was too young to choose to do otherwise. I remember very clearly being in the car with my mum as an 8 or 9 year old and telling her I really didn't like our city, thought it was a dump and would leave as soon as I was able. 

London is my home. Stoke is just a place I grew up. I have zero sentimental attachment to it. 

I love your posts, but now I'm gonna read them in a British accent. Gonna take some getting used to.

6 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Couldn't agree more!  

I love living in WNY, and if other people look down on it, make derogatory comments etc. etc. it has no affect on me.  

Like you said there is good and bad EVERYWHERE.

I love the seasons here.  Winter I love skiing and fishing (Trout in the lower Niagara), we have some of the best fishing in the Country, YEAR ROUND).  Spring is just an awesome experience in WNY, watching everything come back to life and the chance to get my plants started. Summer is perfect (for me) love gardening. Fall is all about Salmon fishing in the lower river and hunting, I live rural so it is also very beautiful this time of year, and...um...oh yeah BILLS SEASON.

I just don't care what others think about WNY, they like it, great, they hate it, great.  The morons that make it a point to bash WNY continually are just ignorant, insecure little people.

Once we move away from WNY, we realize how much it is home.I grew up between Lewiston and Youngstown on River road. It is beautiful year round. Buffalo has its own charm as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Once we move away from WNY, we realize how much it is home.I grew up between Lewiston and Youngstown on River road. It is beautiful year round. Buffalo has its own charm as well.

You were a Lancer huh?  Falcon here!  lol

Beautiful along river road down there!  Lived in the village for about 10 years.  Closer to Ransatucky (Ransomville) now.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, stosh64 said:

You were a Lancer huh?  Falcon here!  lol

Beautiful along river road down there!  Lived in the village for about 10 years.  Closer to Ransatucky (Ransomville) now.  

Yep...Lancer....class of 82. You are from Niagara Wheatfield!

2 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Yep, 83.  My wife and her 6 siblings went to Lewport.  Barb, Karen, Loretta, Nancy & Lisa Majchrzak.

I knew Nancy years ago. Good woman. It has been 20 years.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Awesome! (+1) 1