Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost everyone outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

Respectfully, please don't give me the "oh, you are being too sensitive", or "be bigger than them on this," or "well, let's be honest, they have a point."

They are not saying it to be jocular, although it seems like it.  For many of us, this is our home.  They are insulting our home.  In insulting our home they are insulting us...and they know they are doing it.

I'm making this up?  Really?

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

No, we don't and of course we shouldn't, but I just wish the brain dead national media could drop this tired, and yes, offensive stereo type once and for all.  If they say anything about Denver or Green Bay weather (which surprisingly is a rarity) it's done in an almost throwing of laurels fashion...not Buffalo...no people, Buffalo is the exception and it is perfectly fine...by them.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel."  Maybe, "You like your wings hot up there, but you're probably going to be bringing weak sauce against Baltimore."

Something...anything different.  

*sigh*  Glad I got that one out there.  

GO BILLS.

I live in  Chicago now, and when I tell people that I am from Buffalo, I get the same thing...like they are reading from a script. Buffalo may have more snow, but it is colder here and way more dangerous in certain areas any day. At least we can talk about Josh Allen. Around here, people get strangely quiet when I mention Mitch Trubisky!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I live in  Chicago now, and when I tell people that I am from Buffalo, I get the same thing...like they are reading from a script. Buffalo may have more snow, but it is colder here and way more dangerous in certain areas any day. At least we can talk about Josh Allen. Around here, people get strangely quiet when I mention Mitch Trubisky!

Chicago is what Buffalo should have been.

It’s a shame whats happened to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit. Etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Here in Syracuse, we revel in our wintry reputation. I'll take a landscape of snow covered hills and trees over the dystopian hellscape of humidity, sand, insects and bad football that is the state of Florida any day, Here our pastimes are sledding, skiing and snowball fights which beats the hell out of Baltimore's enthusiasm for murder, insurance fraud and public urination. Bad weather? Really? Tell you what Kansas and Texas, I'll keep my stay at home snow days and you can keep your tornado watch evacuations, fire ants and dust storms all to yourself. From Buffalo to Syracuse I say, let it sow, let it snow, let it snow. 

• Like (+1) 2

To make the OP feel better-  I lived in Buffalo. I lived in Baltimore.  

Baltimore has more problems by far.  It’s politics are killing it from inside out.  There are nice parts to both but I honestly think Buffalo is nicer, cleaner, safer, more fun, and is on an upswing.  Right now Buffalo just has a better vibe.  Baltimore is rotting.  Sorry to say.  

And there is no comparison between the Md and NY in beauty.  New York State is lovely.  MD has no Great Lakes, no Finger Lakes, nothing to compare to NY wine country, no Adirondacks, no Catskills,.    MD is plane Jane.  Sailing on Chesapeake Bay and eating crabs are ok though. 

Buffalo is cold in the winter so you ski, sled, skate.  Baltimore is cold in the winter and yet has little winter sports because too little snow and no mountains, mostly flat terrain. Baltimore is very hot  and humid in the summer.  Lots of little rivers and inlets from the bay add to humidity.   Buffalo was fabulous weather in the summer. Cool breezes off of the massive Lakes.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Chicago is what Buffalo should have been.

It’s a shame whats happened to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit. Etc.

Curious comments. Buffalo never grew on the scale of Chicago.  Economically what happened to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit - I assume you mean the end of factory/heavy industrial production jobs - also happened in Chicago ... they just have more a diverse economy  to pick up the slack.  

I think Buffalo is in a rebirth phase. 

10 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

GO BILLS.

Hey, man. I live in Los Angeles, and the smog really isn't such a problem anymore. All we really have to be concerned about are the mudslides, earthquakes, drought, an exploding homeless population, gang violence, a VD epidemic, fake boobs, 100˚+ weather, wildfires, and firestorms. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Hey, man. I live in Los Angeles, and the smog really isn't such a problem anymore. All we really have to be concerned about are the mudslides, earthquakes, drought, an exploding homeless population, gang violence, a VD epidemic, fake boobs, 100˚+ weather, wildfires, and firestorms. 

Fake boobs are a ‘concern’ how? ?

• Like (+1) 1

I appreciate the passion OP. I don't really understand it but I appreciate it. I don't have any local pride in where I grew up. I don't consider it home, it is just a place I lived when I was too young to choose to do otherwise. I remember very clearly being in the car with my mum as an 8 or 9 year old and telling her I really didn't like our city, thought it was a dump and would leave as soon as I was able. 

London is my home. Stoke is just a place I grew up. I have zero sentimental attachment to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've got to agree with a lot said in this thread.

I got tired of the cliche comments about Buffalo weather by sports folks years ago.

Lots of cities have games significantly impacted by weather, but never get a similar mention.

Still, a game like the Colts in the snow lasts for years in their memories.

Regarding Buffalo weather, I went to college out of state and never moved back after graduation because of career.

I've lived in the San Francisco Bay area, Central California inland, Raleigh, suburban Chicago and now central Virginia.

Buffalo's problem, to me, is the delayed onset of spring, and brief autumns. As a Courier Express delivery kid for three years, I faced the weather, and it wasn't a problem, but spring comes much earlier, and fall lasts much longer in other places. I remember playing infield in my youth and standing at shortstop is still cold, wet infield dirt and wondering when it was ever going to dry out and warm up. 

Fully agree with the Chicago comments. I love that city, but it is every bit as cold as Buffalo +/- a few degrees, and has far less outside recreation opportunities in the winter, and it goes from spring to summer in about 72 hours.

Shares Buffalo's mosquito problem though.

My kids were born in the San Francisco area, but we would visit family a couple times a year in WNY.

My kids always enjoyed it, and are serious Bills fans. As adults, my two boys come over every Sunday here in Central Va for the Bills.

Anyway, when my oldest was about eight, he had just learned a bit about natural science and the solar system in school.

We were visiting family in WNY on one of those late spring days with low broken clouds  along clipping along at about 25 knots and my son is watching that as we were walking.

He says to me, "Ya know what I like about Buffalo dad? You can see the earth spinning here."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Would be nice to have a indoor stadium with retractable roof. The Dallas game was perfect for players and fans. I did enjoy watching (on TV)  the Dallas - NE**  game in the rain , wind and cold . Sadistic , but hey NE** fans earned it. 

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

If you go south a few miles to Pittsburgh their winters are much different than ours. Winter comes a bit later, Spring comes a bit sooner and normally in winter months they are 5-10 degrees warmer than we are. I would also venture to say they get more sunny days than us. We get socked in with this strange great lakes gloomy micro-climate weather patterns that most do not understand unless they have lived here.

Agree with most if this as I live in Pitt now.  But I don't agree that there's more sunny days here.

20 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

?

i hear ya, brother.  And please, let me stress, I don’t think we should ever talk like that.  I’m just saying when you hear about another city...it just sounds silly even to bring up when you are talking sports.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Agree with most if this as I live in Pitt now.  But I don't agree that there's more sunny days here.

Now I gotta research this lol 

Buffalo- 155

Pittsburgh- 160

Basically the same! 

Edited by billsfan_34