Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"

15 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

I remember meeting a couple from Baltimore area a few months ago at a wedding. They described the city of Baltimore as “murder-y”. Thats a quote. 

I think they probably lived in the suburbs, but still says something about the place. 

Buffalo has the snow jokes, Baltimore got The Wire.  I think Buffalo came out on the right end.

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost every one outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

Respectfully, please don't give me the "oh, you are being too sensitive", or "be bigger than them on this," or "well, let's be honest, they have a point."

They are not saying it to be jocular, although it seems like it.  For many of us, this is our home.  They are insulting our home.  In insulting our home they are insulting us...and they know they are doing it.

I'm making this up?  Really?

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

No, we don't and of course we shouldn't, but I just wish the brain dead national media could drop this tired, and yes, offensive stereo type once and for all.  If they say anything about Denver or Green Bay weather (which surprisingly is a rarity) it's done in an almost throwing of laurels fashion...not Buffalo...no people, Buffalo is the exception and it is perfectly fine...by them.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel."  Maybe, "You like your wings hot up there, but you're probably going to be bringing weak sauce against Baltimore."

Something...anything different.  

*sigh*  Glad I got that one out there.  

GO BILLS.

angryguy.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Just once I’d like to hear Jim Nantz or Tony Romo say “Can’t wait to get to Baltimore and bring home some crabs”

I love a good double entendre. Well done, Sir. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

Moved out in 2001. Went back to cold weather for one year (Philly). Moved back west. Once you leave the cold, it's much harder to go back. I do miss a lot things in Buffalo. 

Even after you leave you get the same stupid weather comments from people. 

Edited by leonbus23
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Why does it bother some people that some other poeple would much rather live somewhere other than than where they live. 

I grew up in the Buff, couldn’t wait to move elsewhere and in fact love living where I do now.

I’m sure there are plenty of those who wouldn’t want to live where I do. 

Why its its such a raw nerve is curious to me. 

You already answered that.

It doesn't bother you because you left. And you left because you don't like it - so why would it bother you.

If you hate the place you work, and somebody calls it a terrible place to work - you're likely not going to be bothered by it.

It's not being bothered by someone wanting to live somewhere else (or work somewhere else.)

It's the comments that make them sound incredulous that anyone would want to live in Buffalo.

There is a difference between saying "Where I live is great" and saying "Where you live is a dump." Only one is straight up insulting.

Why you don't understand that is curious to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Global warming could end up as a big win for buffalo

lol....yea Buffalonian sports fans got the patience to wait for that. Just using sports teams HX as my guide.

seriously though, Buffalo, has bad weather but they are not as cold as portrayed. Not even on top 50 lists for coldest US cites. And virtually all of Canada save the West Coast are very likely significantly colder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/did-you-know/americas-50-coldest-cities/ar-BBPXaWn?li=BBMlO3O

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost every one outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

I'm a Buffalonian born and bred who has lived away since I was 17 and went to college on the East coast.  Have lived in the midwest 30+ years at this point

And I say with all sincerity, that the weather in WNY is pretty durn nice taken all things together.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel." 

Did they actually say this, or is it one you propose as an improvement?

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"
46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm a Buffalonian born and bred who has lived away since I was 17 and went to college on the East coast.  Have lived in the midwest 30+ years at this point

And I say with all sincerity, that the weather in WNY is pretty durn nice taken all things together.

Did they actually say this, or is it one you propose as an improvement?

Its proposed...it’s not very good, but it is locale, not insulting, and goes directly to a comment about the team or the game and not the city.

17 hours ago, cba fan said:

lol....yea Buffalonian sports fans got the patience to wait for that. Just using sports teams HX as my guide.

seriously though, Buffalo, has bad weather but they are not as cold as portrayed. Not even on top 50 lists for coldest US cites. And virtually all of Canada save the West Coast are very likely significantly colder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/did-you-know/americas-50-coldest-cities/ar-BBPXaWn?li=BBMlO3O

I never minded the cold in the winter as much as the cold spring that took forever to warm up because of the big ice cube to the west... and the seeming lack of any daylight for 4 months. 

Sure other places have that too, but not anywhere I’m interested in living 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's be honest - no place nicer than a summer in WNY.  WNY is not a great place in the winter unless a skier or ice fisherman.

Second winter in Texas - enjoyed reading the article in the D&C about how this is fast approaching a record breaking start of winter.  If all goes right, I will not see a snow flake this year. Well other than if I am in Austin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

You already answered that.

It doesn't bother you because you left. And you left because you don't like it - so why would it bother you.

If you hate the place you work, and somebody calls it a terrible place to work - you're likely not going to be bothered by it.

It's not being bothered by someone wanting to live somewhere else (or work somewhere else.)

It's the comments that make them sound incredulous that anyone would want to live in Buffalo.

There is a difference between saying "Where I live is great" and saying "Where you live is a dump." Only one is straight up insulting.

Why you don't understand that is curious to me.

The only reason I can see feeling insulted by that is if you think it might be true and feel embarrassed.

if you like where you live than someone not liking it shouldn’t matter to you.

in fact in the case of buffalo the fact not everyone want to live there results in fantastic housing costs 

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If it makes you feel better, Baltimore is a complete dump of a place.

Truth.

If you are heading N on the hwy to your right is the inner harbor area that is not to shabby, but take an exit Westward and it's a demilitarized zone.

Putting aside for a moment the fact of my diehard Bills fandom bias, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my Buffalo visits every time. It’s been more than a few years now since the last time I’ve been up that way, but I hear continuing good things and am sure they are true. Donuts, don’t ever hold back. You have too many things to say that need said. :thumbsup:

My thing with this is that I find it ridiculous when people from places like NYC, Philly, etc. act like Buffalo is Siberia. The temperature disparity is probably like 6 or 7 degrees. Cold is cold!

Personally, I just can't do cold weather. Born in Detroit, spent a ton of time in Buffalo and headed west when I came of age.

Weather is a big deal for me so I love living in the Southeast. If someone from Phoenix were to say it's too cold in Buffalo; fair enough. If you're in NYC, Philly, even Baltimore. Got some news for ya; you're city is only incrementally better weather wise so you might wanna stop throwing those stones from glass houses.