Media: "Hey, is it still miserable up in B-Lo?". Us: "Not really. Hey, is your wife still a moron?"

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

It might be only half a joke to those who say it.

The other half might be respect of the city and the team that can tough out the weather.

Like a lonely Buffalo getting pelted by snow chunks in the open field.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5bc8dca4de187bf923bbc4b06f4c35b3.jpg

Screensaver!   Awesome.

Just to understand, why does it bother you that people say Buffalo is cold and snowy? Isn't it the truth?

And if you view Buffalo as your home and you love it there, wouldn't you embrace that aspect of the city? So why would it be an issue for outsiders to point it out?

I personally couldn’t wait to get out of W. NY. The grass is much greener, trust me. 

Did you know there is a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity...?

Edited by Kiva
  • Like (+1) 1

In ‘96, the company I was working for and figured to retire from, closed its doors after 105 years in operation there and moved to China. A nice severance pkg allowed me & Mrs. C to be selective on a new opportunity. Both of us 3rd generation WNY’ers, we’d come to hate it. (‘95, It must be noted here, saw 11 straight weekends of rain & Crap weather from late June through August -effectively wiping out an entire calendar year!) Of all the offers I received, I tossed every one local or northern aside and it came down to North Carolina or north Florida. Been among the palm trees ever since.

WNY weather is a constant stigma. Been there since the glaciers cut the Falls. Even in Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC, it’s getting nice by late March. It’s a full ’nother Month for Buffalo and late August is sweater weather.  If you choose to live there, ya gotta be tough. The weather there has sucked every year since the big bang.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

In ‘96, the company I was working for and figured to retire from, closed its doors after 105 years in operation there and moved to China. A nice severance pkg allowed me & Mrs. C to be selective on a new opportunity. Both of us 3rd generation WNY’ers, we’d come to hate it. (‘95, It must be noted here, saw 11 straight weekends of rain & Crap weather from late June through August -effectively wiping out an entire calendar year!) Of all the offers I received, I tossed every one local or northern aside and it came down to North Carolina or north Florida. Been among the palm trees ever since.

WNY weather is a constant stigma. Been there since the glaciers cut the Falls. Even in Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC, it’s getting nice by late March. It’s a full ’nother Month for Buffalo and late August is sweater weather.  If you choose to live there, ya gotta be tough. The weather there has sucked every year since the big bang.

Global warming could end up as a big win for buffalo

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Also throw in KC and Philly.

and Denver.  This stuff is annoying to hear all the time.  Too many other places with the same type of weather, and quite frankly, what I think of as football weather.  If you want nice weather watch baseball.  The cure is winning a championship then it becomes the "Frozen Tundra" and the players become warriors who repel the cold while their foes succumb to it!  Didn't some of the old Bills go sleeveless as a psych-out gesture?   

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tired of it.

Tired of it.

Tired of the stupid...ridiculous...same old, same old comment by out of town media guys joking about the weather up here (and to a degree, life in general in WNY).  Happened again today on GR, but so what?  It happens all the time from almost every one outside of this area, right?  No.  Enough.

Once...just once, I want the above comeback from one of our local commentators.  Maybe chase it with, "well, since it seems like we were doing open season on insults I figured everything was fair game, you jack@**."

Respectfully, please don't give me the "oh, you are being too sensitive", or "be bigger than them on this," or "well, let's be honest, they have a point."

They are not saying it to be jocular, although it seems like it.  For many of us, this is our home.  They are insulting our home.  In insulting our home they are insulting us...and they know they are doing it.

I'm making this up?  Really?

Then how many times does our local media say to Bears nation on their stations, "Whoa, here's hoping you guys can pump the breaks on all the murders in your Town long enough so some fans can enjoy the game this weekend."  How about Los Angeles?  "Still sucking in all that poison air over their, boys?  I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit!"

No, we don't and of course we shouldn't, but I just wish the brain dead national media could drop this tired, and yes, offensive stereo type once and for all.  If they say anything about Denver or Green Bay weather (which surprisingly is a rarity) it's done in an almost throwing of laurels fashion...not Buffalo...no people, Buffalo is the exception and it is perfectly fine...by them.

For the love of all get out can you at least be original with your insults?  "The Ravens are going to send the Bills over the Falls, and not even give them a barrel."  Maybe, "You like your wings hot up there, but you're probably going to be bringing weak sauce against Baltimore."

Something...anything different.  

*sigh*  Glad I got that one out there.  

GO BILLS.

BestFamiliarEasteuropeanshepherd-size_re

• Haha (+1) 2

Like OP, there was a time in my life that Buffalo insults used to bother me greatly.

But now, insults don't bother me at all. I even laugh at the good ones. I don't know what made me become less sensitive, I guess age mellows one out.

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

In ‘96, the company I was working for and figured to retire from, closed its doors after 105 years in operation there and moved to China. A nice severance pkg allowed me & Mrs. C to be selective on a new opportunity. Both of us 3rd generation WNY’ers, we’d come to hate it. (‘95, It must be noted here, saw 11 straight weekends of rain & Crap weather from late June through August -effectively wiping out an entire calendar year!) Of all the offers I received, I tossed everyone local or northern aside and it came down to North Carolina or north Florida. Been among the palm trees ever since.

If you go south a few miles to Pittsburgh their winters are much different than ours. Winter comes a bit later, Spring comes a bit sooner and normally in winter months they are 5-10 degrees warmer than we are. I would also venture to say they get more sunny days than us. We get socked in with this strange great lakes gloomy micro-climate weather patterns that most do not understand unless they have lived here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

If you go south a few miles to Pittsburgh their winters are much different than ours. Winter comes a bit later, Spring comes a bit sooner and normally in winter months they are 5-10 degrees warmer than we are. I would also venture to say they get more sunny days than us. We get socked in with this strange great lakes gloomy micro-climate weather patterns that most do not understand unless they have lived here.

Yep. I mentioned this. Flowers & trees are in full bloom by late March. I guess keeping the lawn mower in the garage for another couple months is a WNY perk..

Maybe a correct response is;  “ is that all you got “. Or, tell that to (enter northern cities name), etc. or, at least we don’t have to rely on A/C all summer long, or a straight up ,  Fuh K you! ?

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. I mentioned this. Flowers & trees are in full bloom by late March. I guess keeping the lawn mower in the garage for another couple months is a WNY perk..

However, we are still using our snow blowers and dodging ice chunks in the lower Niagara for trout ?

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Global warming could end up as a big win for buffalo

Our world has been gradually warming since the ice age.  Give it another 10,000 years and we may see the winters shorten to only 8 months out of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Upstate NY is a GREAT place. 

I don’t care what anyone says. 

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

If it makes you feel better, Baltimore is a complete dump of a place.

I remember meeting a couple from Baltimore area a few months ago at a wedding. They described the city of Baltimore as “murder-y”. Thats a quote. 

I think they probably lived in the suburbs, but still says something about the place.