Josh Allen showing he's right for Buffalo as Bills brace for Lamar Jackson

8 hours ago, chris heff said:

I’m confused is the insinuation that Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have been right for Buffalo? I like Josh Allen, I’m glad he’s a Bill. This is in no way meant to disparage him, right now he and Jackson are the two best QBs from that draft. McDermott’s comments are coach/GM speak, let’s not forget that the Bills traded the number 12 pick and two second rounders to move up for Allen. Jackson most certainly would have been there at 12. Who knows who those two second rounders would have brought. The fact is that thirty one teams including the Bills were wrong about Lamar Jackson. 

Were they? 

Talk to me in 3 years and we'll see if Lamar is still able to play football.  The problem with Lamar was NEVER his ABILITY- he was amazing in college (I saw it from the wrong side, as an FSU fan watching him go nuts with Louisville) - it was always concerns about his DURABILITY (same with Rosen, btw). 

He's not very big (unlike Josh) and he's not a squat, defendable body shape like Russell Wilson (DangerRuss is actually built like a RB).  Jackson's build is closer to Deshaun Watson, who runs less, but still breaks every season (2017 ACL, 2018 broken ribs/collapsed lung).  Both are 6'2" DW weighs 220, LJ just 212.

RG3 was the MVP this far into his first season...

Edited by BobChalmers

4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I do think that a small part of it is that McBeane sensed the Buffalo vibes around a Tyrod Taylor Esque QB, and didn't want to put us through that, again. Prior to the draft, Lamar was likened to Taylor, Vick, and (ironically) RGE III. This is just utter speculation, but I feel as though McBeane didn't want to re-introduce a system like that. Again... complete speculation, but I thought I'd toss it into the conversation. 

I think a large part of it is that McBeane didn't want to introduce a system like that (not re-introduce as far as he's concerned - he and Dennison scrapped the one we had)

I don't think it was because of "Buffalo vibes" though.  I think it's because, right or wrong, he feels that the path to long term NFL winning success is walked by a QB who can play well from the pocket.  That's just his coaching philosophy.

Which to give due credit, LJax may well be able to become, but it's not where he is now.  Neither is Allen, but because of how he's being asked to play, he's closer to it.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He is a good writer and has a completely different personality that Mike Rodak.  I thought that Rodak was a good writer, and I think the fans gave him a lot of crap that he didn’t always deserve.  But he just didn’t seem to embrace Buffalo or the fans the way that MLJ does.  

My beef with Rodak was that he just didn't seem to put any effort into covering Buffalo.  Didn't seem to do his homework, which M L-J does. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, chris heff said:

My point was more about McDermott’s comments. Coaches/GMs like to go with the tried and true “we are happy with the guy we have”. 

I liked Jackson going into that draft and would have been happy had he been the Bills choice, again not to disparage Josh Allen. I had paid more attention to Jackson in college because he is a local kid. I didn’t want the other Josh and had mixed feelings about Mayfield and Darnold.

Read some of the other comments, people are still talking about Wonderlick scores for God sake. 

Please don't take this personal, but I have a hard time believing anyone that claims to have known how LJ was going to turn out two years ago.  All the talk was about, and I mean all the talk, was about BM, SD, JA and JR.  The story will most like be different two years from now.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He is a good writer and has a completely different personality that Mike Rodak.  I thought that Rodak was a good writer, and I think the fans gave him a lot of crap that he didn’t always deserve.  But he just didn’t seem to embrace Buffalo or the fans the way that MLJ does.  

had he embraced Buffalo then the critics would have less to complain about IMO 

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Please don't take this personal, but I have a hard time believing anyone that claims to have known how LJ was going to turn out two years ago.  All the talk was about, and I mean all the talk, was about BM, SD, JA and JR.  The story will most like be different two years from now.

I could get family members, also Bills fans, to testify as to my opinion of Lamar Jackson two years ago. I can prove the past you are claiming to know the future.

Edited by chris heff

17 hours ago, chris heff said:

I’m confused is the insinuation that Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have been right for Buffalo? I like Josh Allen, I’m glad he’s a Bill. This is in no way meant to disparage him, right now he and Jackson are the two best QBs from that draft. McDermott’s comments are coach/GM speak, let’s not forget that the Bills traded the number 12 pick and two second rounders to move up for Allen. Jackson most certainly would have been there at 12. Who knows who those two second rounders would have brought. The fact is that thirty one teams including the Bills were wrong about Lamar Jackson. 

1.  The Ravens also passed on Lamar with their first pick before trading back up to #32!  So it could be argued they valued Hayden Hurst over Lamar and were willing to risk him to 6 other teams before they drafted him.

2. Maybe the Bills didn’t see him as a fit for the Buffalo weather.  Lamar alluded to as such in his presser the other day.  He has a decent arm, but not like Allen’s to cut through the wind.  Allen played at windy, snowy, and cold Wyoming - similar to Buffalo.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 2

There are a lot of posters on this board I shake my head at everyday, but I believe very few of them would score 13 on the Wonderlic. 

The Ravens offense is simple for a reason. It's not about making Lamar throw to beat him......it's about making him think. That's how you defeat Jackson and put an end to this temporary hype. 

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

There are a lot of posters on this board I shake my head at everyday, but I believe very few of them would score 13 on the Wonderlic. 

The Ravens offense is simple for a reason. It's not about making Lamar throw to beat him......it's about making him think. That's how you defeat Jackson and put an end to this temporary hype. 

Thanks for noticing us ! how'd you do on the mensa exam?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Is there a 3rd option somewhere in between? Or are those the only two options?

: D

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Disguise Defenses.  

(it works against most QB’s) 

Don’t over pursue

This is  the perfect game to do exactly that.

Lamar and his offense has been built for him, not the other way around. Which is wise . But he might be limited in his ability to read and dissect pre snap.

Go all bellicheckian on him.  Mess his head early and often

and geebus play disciplined defense you LBs ! and you know who you are

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel Louis-Jacques is someone whose pieces I just always want to read. 

That one was positive, obviously, but even when they're critical, he's thoughtful and "shows his work"

God he’s so much better than Rodak.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:51 AM, chris heff said:

My point was more about McDermott’s comments. Coaches/GMs like to go with the tried and true “we are happy with the guy we have”. 

I liked Jackson going into that draft and would have been happy had he been the Bills choice, again not to disparage Josh Allen. I had paid more attention to Jackson in college because he is a local kid. I didn’t want the other Josh and had mixed feelings about Mayfield and Darnold.

Read some of the other comments, people are still talking about Wonderlick scores for God sake

Yes, people are talking about that as a potential reason that he slipped that far down. Is that an unreasonable assertion?

Getting back a bit to the article, after the 2018 draft one my main takeaways was the 1st round QBs went to the "right teams". The teams where I thought they best fit, if they were to succeed. It didn't work out for Rosen (who I never thought much of coming out), but to me Arizona was among the best possible landing spots for him. I felt very strongly that Josh was perfect for Buffalo.  If anyone is a big surprise (to me), it is Lamar. I thought it would be another year before Flacco went breasts-up.

'breasts-up"  Seriously?  The filter just couldn't have put ** over the offending word?  Sheesh.

Edited by The Dean
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Yes, people are talking about that as a potential reason that he slipped that far down. Is that an unreasonable assertion?

Wonderlic scores are probably most valuable for players in the later rounds. Guys you haven't been able to thoroughly scout. The Wonderlic is a fairly bad test that really doesn't measure intelligence and definately doesn't measure football intelligence. It's a broad stroke measurement. A low score might give a GM pause without much more to go by. He might wonder, is this player really dumb? Or have a learning disability? Or was too lazy to prepare for the test?  For a lower pick it might represent a bit of risk. A really high score, OTOH, might give the GM some hope the player is capable of learning and improving with coaching.  I'm not claiming to know this is how they use it. But as a research professional, that is the advice I would give them.

But with a guy like Lamar, there were interviews with the man himself--going through plays, white boards, etc. Plus there are discussions with his coaches, teammates, etc. That kind of data is FAR superior to any Wonderlic score. 

26 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Getting back a bit to the article, after the 2018 draft one my main takeaways was the 1st round QBs went to the "right teams". The teams where I thought they best fit, if they were to succeed. It didn't work out for Rosen (who I never thought much of coming out), but to me Arizona was among the best possible landing spots for him. I felt very strongly that Josh was perfect for Buffalo.  If anyone is a big surprise (to me), it is Lamar. I thought it would be another year before Flacco went breasts-up.

'breasts-up"  Seriously?  The filter just couldn't have put ** over the offending word?  Sheesh.

I love it. Thanks, Foul Language Barrier! You’ve started a new phrase! 

Btw, Hi Deano!

• Haha (+1) 1