Josh Allen showing he's right for Buffalo as Bills brace for Lamar Jackson

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

John Harbaugh is one of the most underrated coaches.  I often look at the "talent" of the Ravens and wonder how they win so many games.  He does a great job at highlighting the strengths of his players.  

He's a great coach and Ozzie Newsome was a tremendous talent evaluator. Probably top 3 GM in the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tumaro02 said:

You can always have hindsight. Brady was drafted in the 6th round. For Jackson, his Wonderlic Test score was at the very bottom of the quarterbacks tested at the combine. Josh Allen's score was tops by a large margin. I have wondered if Jackson's very low score affected teams interest in the top part of the draft. It is very clear, however, that the Bills had targeted Allen for the very things he brings to Buffalo.

I have a theory about Jackson and his mother "advisor".  I have the greatest respect for Mama Jackson.  I think she's a Force of Nature and as shrewd as she can be.  That woman has been on a one-track path to craft her son into a successful NFL QB just about since he could walk.  She hasn't made every right decision, but she's made far more right than wrong.  When he was being recruited to colleges, word was she was particular that he find the "right spot" that would develop him as a QB and not "bait and switch" him to RB or DB.  I read Petrino had to personally persuade her that he would make use of Jackson's unique skills while developing him as a QB before she would let Louisville in the door to recruit him.  "Better programs" that called but weren't ready to commit to him as a QB got the go-by.

I think Mama Jackson took a similar shrewd look at the NFL draft and the conventional wisdom that it's to a QB's benefit to be drafted as high as possible in the 1st round and said "no sale".  The teams picking high are usually in some sort of disarray - bad teams, new coaches, not enough talented players.  Mama J wanted Jackson to attract the interest of a good team with solid coaching that was all-in on Jackson's QB skills from watching film and talking to him, and didn't give a damn about the Underwear Olympics or the Wonderlic.  (I think Jackson could probably have done better if he prepared for that, but they didn't regard that as important, just like he skipped the 40 yd dash).  They talked to everyone at the combine, and they paid careful attention to what was said. As I recall, both Beane and McDermott said repeatedly they were looking for a QB who could perform from the pocket.  That likely put the Bills on Mama Jackson's "Do Not Call" list.

Then, after the Combine and Pro-day, there were a series of Instagrams on Jackson's account.  For a guy trying to present himself favorably and get drafted high, they were weird.  @BadLandsMeanie was following Jackson and described them.  They were like drugged-out posts without being explicit.  Badlands said at the time that they were surely off-putting to a team drafting highand that either Jackson was deliberately trying to slide, or just didn't care.  In hindsight, I think Jackson and his Mom had decided where they wanted to go by then, and wanted to be sure teams drafting in the top half of the first round had some extra reason to pass.

I could be completely wrong - this is only a theory - but IMHO that woman does not leave a thing to chance that she can control, and is far too "on it" to fail to field calls from teams that she wanted contact with, to let Jackson fail to prepare for the Wonderlic if she thought it was important, or to let him put out those Instas if they would tarnish an image she felt would be helpful.  I think she and Jackson know it's the second contract where an NFL player makes his Big Money, so it was far more important to put Jackson on a team where he would have the pieces around him to succeed from the start than to make an extra $8M being drafted (say) at #10 by the Cardinals than at #32 by the Ravens (and maybe kicked to the curb in a year as was done with Rosen).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Josh Allen showing he's right for Buffalo as Bills brace for Lamar Jackson

Marcel Louis-Jacques ESPN

https://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/90506/josh-allen-showing-hes-right-for-buffalo-as-bills-brace-for-lamar-jackson

First I want to say  Thank You ESPN for giving us Marcel over Mike

I still don't like "her"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Don't forget the Ravens drafted a TE in the first round before they drafted Jackson. 

VERY good point that is rarely mentioned. A lot of teams passed on Jackson and Mahomes... and for Lamar it includes the Ravens themselves! It happens. For some reason, NFL drafts are super important to people, media, fans, compared to other sports. Brady was a 7th round pick, remember? That's why I'd trade draft picks for PROVEN players. And what Beane did this offseason, go after OL players that had started some games or were good rotational players behind a strong starter, makes sense. A lot of draft picks don't pan out, he went for some that did. And I'm still glad they picked Josh.

Hell, I even recall the Buffalo media articles when Bellichik was hired. They rejoiced as his reputation as DC was one of the top ones, but as a HC supposedly he couldn't relate with players and his team would be full of zizany, in-fighting and whatnot. It sure happened that way, didn't it... As for Baltimore, Harbaugh had been on the hot seat the last seasons. and now he's firmly entrenched again. Drafts and coach hirings are not an exact science, to say the least.

it's only a matter of time before defenses catch up with Lamar and the Ravens offense. would be nice to see the beginnings of it come this Sunday. that type of offense has never worked in the NFL for long.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel Louis-Jacques is someone whose pieces I just always want to read. 

That one was positive, obviously, but even when they're critical, he's thoughtful and "shows his work"

Yeah, regardless of what one feels about Rodak’s douchieness levels, I strongly feel L-J is objectively a better writer and football mind. 

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

John Harbaugh is one of the most underrated coaches.  I often look at the "talent" of the Ravens and wonder how they win so many games.  He does a great job at highlighting the strengths of his players.  

Imagine what he could do with the Dallas roster.

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it's only a matter of time before defenses catch up with Lamar and the Ravens offense. would be nice to see the beginnings of it come this Sunday. that type of offense has never worked in the NFL for long.

Exactly, I’m surprised how many get swept up in the hype. They were saying the same things about Vick in Philly. Passing stats don’t tell the whole story. Allen is doing some next level stuff in the passing game that other young QBs in the NFL aren’t. Allen’s trajectory is incredible. He has already caught up to and surpassed the other QBs in his draft as a passer, despite how far behind them he was supposed to be. Lamar can’t learn to run faster. Lamar is probably pretty close to his ceiling right now. Josh is looking more and more like he will grow into a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady that can run. Get Josh some more receiving weapons!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

My point was more about McDermott’s comments. Coaches/GMs like to go with the tried and true “we are happy with the guy we have”. 

I liked Jackson going into that draft and would have been happy had he been the Bills choice, again not to disparage Josh Allen. I had paid more attention to Jackson in college because he is a local kid. I didn’t want the other Josh and had mixed feelings about Mayfield and Darnold.

Read some of the other comments, people are still talking about Wonderlick scores for God sake. 

I do think that a small part of it is that McBeane sensed the Buffalo vibes around a Tyrod Taylor Esque QB, and didn't want to put us through that, again. Prior to the draft, Lamar was likened to Taylor, Vick, and (ironically) RGE III. This is just utter speculation, but I feel as though McBeane didn't want to re-introduce a system like that. Again... complete speculation, but I thought I'd toss it into the conversation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have a theory about Jackson and his mother "advisor".  I have the greatest respect for Mama Jackson.  I think she's a Force of Nature and as shrewd as she can be.  That woman has been on a one-track path to craft her son into a successful NFL QB just about since he could walk.  She hasn't made every right decision, but she's made far more right than wrong.  When he was being recruited to colleges, word was she was particular that he find the "right spot" that would develop him as a QB and not "bait and switch" him to RB or DB.  I read Petrino had to personally persuade her that he would make use of Jackson's unique skills while developing him as a QB before she would let Louisville in the door to recruit him.  "Better programs" that called but weren't ready to commit to him as a QB got the go-by.

I think Mama Jackson took a similar shrewd look at the NFL draft and the conventional wisdom that it's to a QB's benefit to be drafted as high as possible in the 1st round and said "no sale".  The teams picking high are usually in some sort of disarray - bad teams, new coaches, not enough talented players.  Mama J wanted Jackson to attract the interest of a good team with solid coaching that was all-in on Jackson's QB skills from watching film and talking to him, and didn't give a damn about the Underwear Olympics or the Wonderlic.  (I think Jackson could probably have done better if he prepared for that, but they didn't regard that as important, just like he skipped the 40 yd dash).  They talked to everyone at the combine, and they paid careful attention to what was said. As I recall, both Beane and McDermott said repeatedly they were looking for a QB who could perform from the pocket.  That likely put the Bills on Mama Jackson's "Do Not Call" list.

Then, after the Combine and Pro-day, there were a series of Instagrams on Jackson's account.  For a guy trying to present himself favorably and get drafted high, they were weird.  @BadLandsMeanie was following Jackson and described them.  They were like drugged-out posts without being explicit.  Badlands said at the time that they were surely off-putting to a team drafting highand that either Jackson was deliberately trying to slide, or just didn't care.  In hindsight, I think Jackson and his Mom had decided where they wanted to go by then, and wanted to be sure teams drafting in the top half of the first round had some extra reason to pass.

I could be completely wrong - this is only a theory - but IMHO that woman does not leave a thing to chance that she can control, and is far too "on it" to fail to field calls from teams that she wanted contact with, to let Jackson fail to prepare for the Wonderlic if she thought it was important, or to let him put out those Instas if they would tarnish an image she felt would be helpful.  I think she and Jackson know it's the second contract where an NFL player makes his Big Money, so it was far more important to put Jackson on a team where he would have the pieces around him to succeed from the start than to make an extra $8M being drafted (say) at #10 by the Cardinals than at #32 by the Ravens (and maybe kicked to the curb in a year as was done with Rosen).

I like your theory, she even moved the family from Pompano Beach to Boynton Beach to give him a better opportunity in high school.

Edited by chris heff

4 hours ago, chris heff said:

No, do you believe that the Ravens coaching staff is smarter than the Bills? Good coaches build to special players skills, bad coaches believe it’s about them and their system.

Roman and Tyrod come to mind for some reason.
I still am a fan of Greg Roman.
 The Ravens are dialed in.

But i want to include Bills are just a bit behind that curve.
Perhaps they had more to work through and rebuild.

I am speaking to Hopeful as well here. I think the Bills are easily as smart, just late bloomers  lol

4 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Look , folks need to chill the heck out about Lamar ...and his draft day slip.

To be fair, if you were going to draft him back then, you needed to sculpt your offense anew, develop a whole spread offense, maybe change coaches, etc..

Many of his true knocks require a long term study, and honestly despite folks throwing around gaudy numbers, much of his passing success is reliant on the set up from the brand of offense the Ravens run. That offense has worked, and worked well for short bursts, that are apt to fizzle with more prep and over time when injury hits.

I'm still convinced its not sustainable.

Thats not to say Lamar is without praise; he is running this offense near flawlessly, and others have not had his total skill set to pull this off. I dont feel the offense is a gimmick, and he deserves all MVP considerations.

Long term durability is my primary doubt. He's one rough tackle away from a season ending injury, and these kind of carries are not, imo sustainable. We've seen this already with both Kaepernick and RGIII. We had a poor man's version w/ Tyrod. 

I must say, though that some of these same arguments could  be said for Allen for sure, but offensively what we are doing resembles the kind of offense that could settle down into a traditional pocket set and has a longer recipe for success.

I will agree many teams got it wrong that year, the Cardinals primarily, the Phish , etc...

I think it is sustainable. but will need to develop and evolute as all teams do.

Josh has been given a heck of a lot more responsibility more recently.
Jackson will grow and evolve as well

look forward to this matchup for years to come !

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

some say the 49ers almost did it. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

How cool would it be if Allen goes off on Sunday and we beat the Ravens? I’d like that

VERY ? 

• Like (+1) 1

"Be happy with what you have" comes to mind. Allen is succeeding with the Bills and continues to develop. And "fit" is not just about offensive scheme, it's also about personal, human connection. When McD and crew met with Josh Allen, I'm sure they felt good talking with him and working with him. Think about when you've interviewed for a job, often the candidates are all capable of the necessary skills, but the question of personality is something bigger.

Forget the media hype about LJ, he's definitely doing a great job but we're just in year 2 with both of these guys. It will probably take 10 years to look back at this with any clarity to compare.

Edited by CheshireCT
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel Louis-Jacques is someone whose pieces I just always want to read. 

That one was positive, obviously, but even when they're critical, he's thoughtful and "shows his work"

He is a good writer and has a completely different personality that Mike Rodak.  I thought that Rodak was a good writer, and I think the fans gave him a lot of crap that he didn’t always deserve.  But he just didn’t seem to embrace Buffalo or the fans the way that MLJ does.