Josh Allen showing he's right for Buffalo as Bills brace for Lamar Jackson

Josh Allen showing he's right for Buffalo as Bills brace for Lamar Jackson

Marcel Louis-Jacques ESPN

https://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/90506/josh-allen-showing-hes-right-for-buffalo-as-bills-brace-for-lamar-jackson

First I want to say  Thank You ESPN for giving us Marcel over Mike

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Let's pretend 100 football fans missed the 2018 NFL draft and the first 12 games of the 2019 season. And let's pretend they were told Sunday's 1 p.m. ET game (CBS) features a matchup of the best two quarterbacks from that class.

How many would guess the matchup involves Josh Allen's Buffalo Bills and Lamar Jackson's Baltimore Ravens?

Coach Sean McDermott said the Bills (9-3) did their homework on Jackson but were ultimately drawn to Allen; neither team, in his opinion, made the wrong choice -- especially considering the MVP hype Jackson (2,532 passing yards, 25 TD passes, 5 interceptions) is getting this season.

"We spent some time with Lamar and went through the process with him as well," McDermott said. "He was a fantastic player then and he remains a fantastic player. Great young man, at least in my interactions, our interactions with him. It wasn't so much about that as it was, we wanted Josh Allen and everything that Josh Allen brought to Buffalo.

"And so, that was the right fit for us. No disrespect at all; obviously the Ravens got a fantastic player, and credit goes to them, and we feel good about where Josh is."

Learning from loss to Patriots ...... 

Turning the corner  ...... 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I’m confused is the insinuation that Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have been right for Buffalo? I like Josh Allen, I’m glad he’s a Bill. This is in no way meant to disparage him, right now he and Jackson are the two best QBs from that draft. McDermott’s comments are coach/GM speak, let’s not forget that the Bills traded the number 12 pick and two second rounders to move up for Allen. Jackson most certainly would have been there at 12. Who knows who those two second rounders would have brought. The fact is that thirty one teams including the Bills were wrong about Lamar Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I’m confused is the insinuation that Lamar Jackson wouldn’t have been right for Buffalo? I like Josh Allen, I’m glad he’s a Bill. This is in no way meant to disparage him, right now he and Jackson are the two best QBs from that draft. McDermott’s comments are coach/GM speak, let’s not forget that the Bills traded the number 12 pick and two second rounders to move up for Allen. Jackson most certainly would have been there at 12. Who knows who those two second rounders would have brought. The fact is that thirty one teams including the Bills were wrong about Lamar Jackson. 

Have you been reading Clutchpoints.com again?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 15

11 minutes ago, chris heff said:

So you believe a player would turn out exactly the same way no matter what team he gets drafted on?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, chris heff said:

It's all about the process and the direction the FO wanted to go.  

If you run a somewhat typical offence > then if anything bad happen to Josh the backup s/b able to step up and run the O w/o any major change in philosophy. 

If LJ were to miss a game is RGIII really a turn key option?  (poor example because that is what RGIII was supposed to be) 

JMO

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel Louis-Jacques is someone whose pieces I just always want to read. 

That one was positive, obviously, but even when they're critical, he's thoughtful and "shows his work"

hence my comment 

Thank You ESPN for giving us Marcel over Mike

Criticism due should be received.   Rodak was one to over criticize.  It seemed almost as if he really didnt want to cover the Bills 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel Louis-Jacques is someone whose pieces I just always want to read. 

That one was positive, obviously, but even when they're critical, he's thoughtful and "shows his work"

Agreed. With all the paywall stuff out there lately I almost feel like I'm stealing when I read something like this. He's as good or better than the guys you have to subscribe to to read. I hope ESPN keeps him on the Bills beat long term.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So you believe a player would turn out exactly the same way no matter what team he gets drafted on?

No, do you believe that the Ravens coaching staff is smarter than the Bills? Good coaches build to special players skills, bad coaches believe it’s about them and their system.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, chris heff said:

No, do you believe that the Ravens coaching staff is smarter than the Bills? Good coaches build to special players skills, bad coaches believe it’s about them and their system.

Actually :bag: I do believe the Ravens coaching staff is smarter than the Bills.  I hope to be proven wrong.....part of it is experience. 

Harbaugh has been a HC for 12 years.  Been to playoffs for 7 of them.  It shows in the culture of the organization.  I'm not ruling out that McDermott could become that, but he's just learning where Harbaugh has "been there done that"

It's a very valid point that good coaches build to the skills of their players, but what the Ravens have done with Jackson is at the extreme of that....it's not just me saying that, John Harbaugh is on record saying that himself.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, chris heff said:

You can always have hindsight. Brady was drafted in the 6th round. For Jackson, his Wonderlic Test score was at the very bottom of the quarterbacks tested at the combine. Josh Allen's score was tops by a large margin. I have wondered if Jackson's very low score affected teams interest in the top part of the draft. It is very clear, however, that the Bills had targeted Allen for the very things he brings to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3

Look , folks need to chill the heck out about Lamar ...and his draft day slip.

To be fair, if you were going to draft him back then, you needed to sculpt your offense anew, develop a whole spread offense, maybe change coaches, etc..

Many of his true knocks require a long term study, and honestly despite folks throwing around gaudy numbers, much of his passing success is reliant on the set up from the brand of offense the Ravens run. That offense has worked, and worked well for short bursts, that are apt to fizzle with more prep and over time when injury hits.

I'm still convinced its not sustainable.

Thats not to say Lamar is without praise; he is running this offense near flawlessly, and others have not had his total skill set to pull this off. I dont feel the offense is a gimmick, and he deserves all MVP considerations.

Long term durability is my primary doubt. He's one rough tackle away from a season ending injury, and these kind of carries are not, imo sustainable. We've seen this already with both Kaepernick and RGIII. We had a poor man's version w/ Tyrod. 

I must say, though that some of these same arguments could  be said for Allen for sure, but offensively what we are doing resembles the kind of offense that could settle down into a traditional pocket set and has a longer recipe for success.

I will agree many teams got it wrong that year, the Cardinals primarily, the Phish , etc...

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, tumaro02 said:

You can always have hindsight. Brady was drafted in the 6th round. For Jackson, his Wonderlic Test score was at the very bottom of the quarterbacks tested at the combine. Josh Allen's score was tops by a large margin. I have wondered if Jackson's very low score affected teams interest in the top part of the draft. It is very clear, however, that the Bills had targeted Allen for the very things he brings to Buffalo.

Don't forget the Ravens drafted a TE in the first round before they drafted Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, chris heff said:

as was stated, much more experience on the Balt. side.  Also Greg Roman is the ultimate guy  suited to coach Jackson.  He did a similar thing in San Fran with Kap   But like in San Fran will it be sustainable?  Roman is being quoted as a potential hot HC candidate.  If someone signs him, they better hope to also draft another Jackson clone for QB.  Otherwise he'll look like he did in Buffalo as the OC.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Yes and much different.  Do you believe coaches have different ideas of what they want their QB to be/do?

Edited by White Linen

46 minutes ago, chris heff said:

have to fit coaching staff. while special, allen is more conventional as a qb (with mad rushing skills). lamar is a fit for roman / harbaugh - not sure he would have the same success with daboll / mcd. mad man roman especially. to maximize lamar’s effectiveness, it helps that the the OC has an online coaching background, which roman has.

also something about allen makes him a great fit for his Bills teammates. looks like they will go through a brick wall for him and vice versa. can’t say with certainty the same will happen with lamar with THIS group.

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually :bag: I do believe the Ravens coaching staff is smarter than the Bills.  I hope to be proven wrong.....part of it is experience. 

Harbaugh has been a HC for 12 years.  Been to playoffs for 7 of them.  It shows in the culture of the organization.  I'm not ruling out that McDermott could become that, but he's just learning where Harbaugh has "been there done that"

It's a very valid point that good coaches build to the skills of their players, but what the Ravens have done with Jackson is at the extreme of that....it's not just me saying that, John Harbaugh is on record saying that himself.

My point was more about McDermott’s comments. Coaches/GMs like to go with the tried and true “we are happy with the guy we have”. 

I liked Jackson going into that draft and would have been happy had he been the Bills choice, again not to disparage Josh Allen. I had paid more attention to Jackson in college because he is a local kid. I didn’t want the other Josh and had mixed feelings about Mayfield and Darnold.

Read some of the other comments, people are still talking about Wonderlick scores for God sake. 

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

John Harbaugh is one of the most underrated coaches.  I often look at the "talent" of the Ravens and wonder how they win so many games.  He does a great job at highlighting the strengths of his players.