Bruce sits down with Tre

Reed83HOF

13 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Damn, Bruce was such a beast! 

We should clone him, just sayin,

I met him at a tech conference last year where he was a guest speaker at the end to talk about the glory days. Except for his age, that guy is STILL a beast and looks like he could still play.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I think Tre is happy here and he shows that he's having a lot of fun being a Bill.  So let's pray that he doesn't demand a huge contract to stay when that time comes.

Why? He’s earned a huge contract. Make him the highest paid CB in football. Based on the timing, that’s what he deserves.

• Like (+1) 4

Such a great video... Tre is a cornerstone of this teams future.  Great to hear Bruce's advice, his 3 things that you can control points fits well with the "A Football Life" story on Bruce from a week ago.  His hard work and focus is what made him great.  Great to see Tre's genuine interest in being great right here in Buffalo.  

very cool that the old guys are mentoring our younger players (also Kelly and JA)

Bruce was such a beast - I remember that he used to wear out a few step-masters each winter staying in shape

When bruce was drafted in 85, it was before all of the draft hype, and the only players you knew were those who were superstars in college

I remember asking "Bruce who? from where?"

50 minutes ago, skibum said:

Hopefully Bruce is also advising him to take a little hometown discount to help the team!

Again, why? He should get paid what he deserves. We shouldn’t want guys to make less money to stay with us. You friends don’t “hope that you take less money to stay at your current job for the good of the rest of the staff.” 

There is no such thing as a hometown discount and I hate the thought that people even suggest it. It’s a huge pet peeve and will NEVER understand wanting guys to make less than they are worth. Let’s just pay Tre as the best CB in football. That’s what he’s becoming. That’s what he’s worth. We should be thrilled to have him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, why? He should get paid what he deserves. We shouldn’t want guys to make less money to stay with us. You friends don’t “hope that you take less money to stay at your current job for the good of the rest of the staff.” 

There is no such thing as a hometown discount and I hate the thought that people even suggest it. It’s a huge pet peeve and will NEVER understand wanting guys to make less than they are worth. Let’s just pay Tre as the best CB in football. That’s what he’s becoming. That’s what he’s worth. We should be thrilled to have him.

I understand this, and yet can't quite get on board.

I feel sometimes, guys actually should be prepared to get a little (note the use of little) less to stay where they are successful. Partly because imho, far too many of them don't have the same level of success elsewhere, and end up getting one payday, then the axe, where they could have actually maximized their earnings by staying put and seeing out a supposedly lesser deal.

I don't have a problem with players trying to get the best deal available to them, I just believe that what constitutes the best deal, isn't necessarily simply down to the raw numbers.

Atm, the Bills have a lot to offer players who want to sign with them, without necessarily 'overpaying'. Terrific facilities, a wicked fanbase, and stability with the Coaching Staff and Front Office, backed up by wealthy, enthusiastic Ownership.

As a player, (I'm obviously not) I would have to be thinking seriously about any offer from the Bills, as opposed to offers from other teams that do not have most of the above situations, even if it was for a little less money. Otoh, if it was to go somewhere where that had a similar checklist of facilities, coaches, FO and owners, then there's no reason not to let the money talk.

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Keep doing your thing Tre D...everything but the "hip check". 

Made me feel mad unconformable. 

Mind in the gutter...

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

I understand this, and yet can't quite get on board.

I feel sometimes, guys actually should be prepared to get a little (note the use of little) less to stay where they are successful. Partly because imho, far too many of them don't have the same level of success elsewhere, and end up getting one payday, then the axe, where they could have actually maximized their earnings by staying put and seeing out a supposedly lesser deal.

I don't have a problem with players trying to get the best deal available to them, I just believe that what constitutes the best deal, isn't necessarily simply down to the raw numbers.

Atm, the Bills have a lot to offer players who want to sign with them, without necessarily 'overpaying'. Terrific facilities, a wicked fanbase, and stability with the Coaching Staff and Front Office, backed up by wealthy, enthusiastic Ownership.

As a player, (I'm obviously not) I would have to be thinking seriously about any offer from the Bills, as opposed to offers from other teams that do not have most of the above situations, even if it was for a little less money. Otoh, if it was to go somewhere where that had a similar checklist of facilities, coaches, FO and owners, then there's no reason not to let the money talk.

...and I’m fine with a player making that decision. My issue is with the fans that immediately go to “I hope that he takes less than he’s worth to stay with us.” It’s happened at least twice in this thread. The fan’s ONLY thought is “I hope Tre stays with us.” For some reason Bills fans do that ALL of the time.

Obviously, every player has a lot that they need to consider before making a FA decision. The reality with Tre specifically is that he will be here for a little while regardless. The Bills will absolutely tag him when the time comes if needed. 

With other guys though we shouldn’t care what they make. It makes ZERO difference to us what we pay Matt Milano as long as he is on the Bills. And before someone says, “yeah but cap space” please don’t. There is no such thing as capped out in the NFL in 2019!! The rules are way too easy to circumvent. You can always just kick the can down the road as the Saints have done for a decade. The cap increases make this simple.

The only thing that the Bills need to worry about is “do we need this guy?” In Tre’s case the answer is unequivocally, 100% yes. He’s going to be the highest paid CB in history. That’s what’s going to happen. We should be happy for him. The guys in the locker room will be happy for him. If you want to see recruiting and a good locker room, treat your players well. The Pegula’s get that. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and I’m fine with a player making that decision. My issue is with the fans that immediately go to “I hope that he takes less than he’s worth to stay with us.” It’s happened at least twice in this thread. The fan’s ONLY thought is “I hope Tre stays with us.” For some reason Bills fans do that ALL of the time.

Obviously, every player has a lot that they need to consider before making a FA decision. The reality with Tre specifically is that he will be here for a little while regardless. The Bills will absolutely tag him when the time comes if needed. 

With other guys though we shouldn’t care what they make. It makes ZERO difference to us what we pay Matt Milano as long as he is on the Bills. And before someone says, “yeah but cap space” please don’t. There is no such thing as capped out in the NFL in 2019!! The rules are way to easy too circumvent. You can always just kick the can down the road as the Saints have done for a decade. The cap increases make this simple.

The only thing that the Bills need to worry about is “do we need this guy?” In Tre’s case the answer is unequivocally, 100% yes. He’s going to be the highest paid CB in history. That’s what’s going to happen. We should be happy for him. The guys in the locker room will be happy for him. If you want to see recruiting and a good locker room, treat your players well. The Pegula’s get that. 

Exactly! 

The other part of it is, if you treat them right now, down the line they're more likely to re-negotiate if it helps the team win.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lazy said:

Exactly! 

The other part of it is, if you treat them right now, down the line they're more likely to re-negotiate if it helps the team win.

100% agree

It’s WAY more important to treat players well than it is to try to save a couple of million dollars. Your reputation matters in this league.

44 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Or maybe you're just used to that type of hip gyration between two men and have become desensitized. 

You brought it up, a bit defensive you are, ?

Edited by Don Otreply