Beane free agent WR signings

8 minutes ago, WMDman said:

as an OBJ fantasy owner I can say he doesn't pretty much suck, he DOES suck  

Of course. He wanted to go to a contender but Jiants sold him to whoever gave the best offer.

So he will try under performing for a while hoping to be traded/cut all the time denying it is performance which is in issue.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Both the Brown and Beasley deals are at their market value and I wouldn't consider them team-friendly or, for lack of a better term, unfriendly.  

I'm concerned with McD's overall personnel decision strategy, as evidenced by their move to take Cody Ford over D.K. Metcalf.  If you've got a chance to get a skill type who can demand defensive attention, that's more important than plodding interior OL types like Ford.  You can find those guys later or in UFA on team friendly contracts.  You don't find top skill types there.    

Not quite.  He is a guy who plays in any system, but has been used as a decoy in many respects by a HC who is not up to par for the NFL.  There aren't many learned Bills fans who would say no to OBJ because he makes plays.  

Sometimes HC's have to learn how to manage personalities and not avoid them.  High performing people in any environment make the difference and in a results oriented environment they can be the difference between winning and losing. 

You build from the trenches, on both sides of the ball.  Don't sleep on Cody, he's coming along.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Odell Beckham trade by the Browns got all the publicity and love this off season.  The Cole Beasley and John Brown signings were also ran signings that flew completely under the radar.  Look at the contracts and stats of those three players twelve weeks into the season with the Bills heading towards the playoffs and the Browns all but eliminated from the post season.

Odell Beckham Jr  compensation; 

2019   $17,000,000

2020   $14,250,000

2021   $15,750,000

2022   $15,000,000

2023   $ 15,000,000

OBJ 2019 production through 12 games;

57 catches

805 yards

2 TDs

Cole Beasley compensation;

2019   $11,400,000

2020   $5,600,000

2021   $5,900,000

2022   $6,100,000

Beasley 2019 production through 12 games;

55 catches

635 yards

5 TDs

John Brown compensation;

2019   $10,700,000

2020   $8,150,000

2021   $8,150,000

John Brown 2019  production through 12 games;

61 catches

882 yards

5 TDs

OBJ has the big name and the pedigree and there is no mistaking his elite receiving skills, but I think Beane and McDermott have it right when it comes to team building.  It's not about collecting a bunch of talented individual players, it's about bringing together a group of players who are willing to play team football.  I think the 2019 Bills are greater than the sum of their parts and teams like the Browns and the Cowboys simply are not.  Look how far this Buffalo Bills franchise has come in the last two years.  It's getting hard to argue against the position that Beane and McDermott are a top 5 GM/Coach combo in the league right now.

They’ve played well. The browns have not. I don’t think that means there’s some large truth about lunch pails vs stars. You find great talent and point them towards common goals. 

bills fans often come across desperate to have a team that plays good, even if not great, on a modest budget with blue collar guys.

I agree with your overall point, but don't think it's close to fair to evaluate the Beckham signing by his stats this year.

Receiver stats are greatly affected by the QB and how well he's playing, and even the OL and how well they're protecting the QB. Beckham will be sensational again if he's in the right position, and I think he will be.

But yeah, in free agency picking the low- to mid-range guys while building the core of your team through the draft does seem to be the strategy the teams that sustain excellence consistently use.

Oh, and I agree with BillsVet above, the Brown and Beasley deals weren't team-friendly. They got what they could get. They got market value and weren't cheap.

Oh, and Brady's no game manager. Not even close. Thank goodness he's no longer elite but he's still probably top seven or so but is dealing with an offense that doesn't have a Gronk or anyone but Edelman. And while he's always been terrific enough to overcome that, he's just really really good now and can't overcome the problems.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Odell Beckham trade by the Browns got all the publicity and love this off season.  The Cole Beasley and John Brown signings were also ran signings that flew completely under the radar.  Look at the contracts and stats of those three players twelve weeks into the season with the Bills heading towards the playoffs and the Browns all but eliminated from the post season.

2019   $17,000,000

2020   $14,250,000

2021   $15,750,000

2022   $15,000,000

2023   $ 15,000,000

57 catches

805 yards

2 TDs

2019   $11,400,000

2020   $5,600,000

2021   $5,900,000

2022   $6,100,000

55 catches

635 yards

5 TDs

John Brown compensation;

2019   $10,700,000

2020   $8,150,000

2021   $8,150,000

61 catches

882 yards

5 TDs

OBJ has the big name and the pedigree and there is no mistaking his elite receiving skills, but I think Beane and McDermott have it right when it comes to team building.  It's not about collecting a bunch of talented individual players, it's about bringing together a group of players who are willing to play team football.  I think the 2019 Bills are greater than the sum of their parts and teams like the Browns and the Cowboys simply are not.  Look how far this Buffalo Bills franchise has come in the last two years.  It's getting hard to argue against the position that Beane and McDermott are a top 5 GM/Coach combo in the league right now.

Inigo, one more reason, I love you’re takes.  Let’s shoot for outbidding Dallas for Cooper and we are complete.  Draft another TE, if a good one along with a battering ram RB, as Gore can only last so long.  I’d love him to overtake Sweetness as much as I love that guy, but he’ll never get there without a nice performance this year and next.  Slam dunk first ballot HOF.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

Exactly why we don’t “need a true #1”.  It would be nice, sure.  We don’t NEED one

Against better defenses the lack of a threat opposite Brown will hurt. But that doesn't mean this team can't find ways around it but rather that it can be a limitation. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The NFL QB role and type of game being played is evolving.

It probably will change what kind of WRs are needed for success.

Agreed. With the way offenses spread the field, a guy like Tyreke Hill may very well be the "prototypical" receiver circa 2019.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:25 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think OBJ would of fit in to the culture McDermott and Beane want. 
OBJ looks to draw attention to himself, the Bills players look to praise each other. 

Yes, people with the Giants were quoted as saying OBJ was high maintenance and they had enough.  Every day was something new.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/5/2019 at 6:54 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

2019   $17,000,000

2020   $14,250,000

2021   $15,750,000

2022   $15,000,000

2023   $ 15,000,000

57 catches

805 yards

2 TDs

2019   $11,400,000

2020   $5,600,000

2021   $5,900,000

2022   $6,100,000

55 catches

635 yards

5 TDs

John Brown compensation;

2019   $10,700,000

2020   $8,150,000

2021   $8,150,000

61 catches

882 yards

5 TDs

John Brown is one heck of a player, and I believe that we knew this all along. All he needed was his health and the,Bills to believe in him...man do they!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:06 PM, dayman said:

I think most of the experts would agree that the McBean combo has been great. Can't argue against it the results speak for themselves. We're 9-3 going on a 2nd playoff birth in 3 years ... yes, that's the Bills we're talking about lol. 

Only thing left to do is see where the ceiling is and how long they can sustain success. 

There is much reason for optimism but 24-20 is by no means "great" yet.

On 12/5/2019 at 8:15 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

All fair points BillsVet.  I'm not here to argue that OBJ isn't a more talented receiver. 

My larger point is about how you build a competitive team. I don't know if you do need a bunch of elite players to win a championship.  I think there is also something to be said for building a roster top to bottom with solid, team oriented players.  I'd argue that the only elite talent on the Patriots is their head coach and Stephon Gilmore, but they are still winning.  I think Brady is more of a game manager right now.

Brown and Beasley are both on team friendly deals as well so if their play declines Beane and Co. can move on without hamstringing the franchise going forward.  I think next year we will only be a piece or two away from contending for a Super Bowl.  We have $90mm in cap space to go out and find those pieces and I trust Beane to find them.  I don't think there will be as much hesitation from free agents to come to Buffalo either after this season.

Your posts are gold lately. Well done.