A great Josh Allen piece, and QB rankings.

whatdrought

15 hours ago, ngbills said:

Not taking anything away from that pass. Fine play indeed. But never like the only so and so can make that play comments. Again great play and awareness stepping up in the pocket, but most QB's in the NFL can make that pass. Dont always do it and neither does Allen, but can. 

Just wondering if the NG in your profile name is short for negative ?

That was a great throw that took awareness to see and a special arm to make

I thought it was a great throw at the time. Seeing it from this angle, just makes me even more impressed.

It was my favourite throw from the Cowgirls game, and I also thought it was one of the game changing moments (probably the first), as it stopped us being backed up, and although the drive eventually stalled, a terrific punt then switched field position, and we started to take the game over.

Edited by Buddo
  • Like (+1) 1

Saying Allen had a shaky rookie year is silly. He didn't. He showed plenty of elite potential and he convinced a ton of Bills fans that finally ... finally we have a QB.

But that's not what you see when you just look at the box score and the player stats. Most of these "analysts" don't actually watch the Bills.

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I disagree. There are only a handful of guys with the arm talent to get that throw into that window on the run. Could maybe include Stafford in his day but imo there's no other QBs completing that pass.

Most NFL QBs can make that throw if they have time to set their feet and square up on balance. Allen has to duck the DE and jam the ball in that crazy thin margin sidearmed and running...not many guys with that kind of arm.

You can add Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, and probably others as well to the list. It was a great throw, but there are certainly other QB's in the league that could probably make that throw as well.

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Saying Allen had a shaky rookie year is silly. He didn't. He showed plenty of elite potential and he convinced a ton of Bills fans that finally ... finally we have a QB.

But that's not what you see when you just look at the box score and the player stats. Most of these "analysts" don't actually watch the Bills.

You can add Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, and probably others as well to the list. It was a great throw, but there are certainly other QB's in the league that could probably make that throw as well.

I already said those ones

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I already said those ones

You said Stafford in his prime and then literally said "but imo there's no other QBs completing that pass."

But maybe you mentioned them in a previous post?

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

You said Stafford in his prime and then literally said "but imo there's no other QBs completing that pass."

But maybe you mentioned them in a previous post?

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

There are only three QBs that can make that throw in the league right now: Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen.

I like that people outside of Bills fans are noticing that Allen is good, but I I still don't like the narrative.   They write about Allen like this is a surprise.

Yes, it's true that if you compare this season's numbers to last season's numbers, the numbers are a lot better.   And if you cherry pick them even more, you can make the narrative even better.  

It's written that way because no one was paying attention to Allen last season.   We all know that when he came back from his elbow injury, Allen started looking like a real NFL QB.  Also, it was pretty clear last season that all Allen had to do in 2019 was get himself some better receivers and focus more on taking the short completions that the offense was giving him.   It also was clear in the off-season that that was the focus.   The Bills got Brown and Beasley, and McDermott kept saying that the focus was to get Allen to take the easy throw.  It already was obvious he could make those throws, he just wasn't throwing them. 

So what's happened this season?   He's throwing the shorter ball, his completion percentage is up, and the Bills offense moves the ball.   Yes, Allen is still learning, as all young QBs do, and that's adding to his improvement, but that was to be expected.   He's smart, hard working, dedicated to his craft.  

So, great, people are taking notice.   That's nice.  But I want those people actually to analyze what's going on, and the national media wasn't doing it last season, so the narrative this season is all wrong.   This isn't some miracle we're watching.   It's pretty predictable progress.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I like that people outside of Bills fans are noticing that Allen is good, but I I still don't like the narrative.   They write about Allen like this is a surprise.

Yes, it's true that if you compare this season's numbers to last season's numbers, the numbers are a lot better.   And if you cherry pick them even more, you can make the narrative even better.  

It's written that way because no one was paying attention to Allen last season.   We all know that when he came back from his elbow injury, Allen started looking like a real NFL QB.  Also, it was pretty clear last season that all Allen had to do in 2019 was get himself some better receivers and focus more on taking the short completions that the offense was giving him.   It also was clear in the off-season that that was the focus.   The Bills got Brown and Beasley, and McDermott kept saying that the focus was to get Allen to take the easy throw.  It already was obvious he could make those throws, he just wasn't throwing them. 

So what's happened this season?   He's throwing the shorter ball, his completion percentage is up, and the Bills offense moves the ball.   Yes, Allen is still learning, as all young QBs do, and that's adding to his improvement, but that was to be expected.   He's smart, hard working, dedicated to his craft.  

So, great, people are taking notice.   That's nice.  But I want those people actually to analyze what's going on, and the national media wasn't doing it last season, so the narrative this season is all wrong.   This isn't some miracle we're watching.   It's pretty predictable progress.  

Imo it just confirms the fact that folks generally don’t watch a lot of NFL and the Bills in particular, because I agree that his progress shouldn’t be a huge surprise.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ngbills said:

Not taking anything away from that pass. Fine play indeed. But never like the only so and so can make that play comments. Again great play and awareness stepping up in the pocket, but most QB's in the NFL can make that pass. Dont always do it and neither does Allen, but can. 

Add Wilson, Wentz, Lamar (and maybe sub out late career Rodgers for sidelined Kaepernick?) and you've got a deal.

Deshaun has the elusiveness and vision to get in position to make that throw, but I don't think he has the arm strength to complete it.

Oh, and Fitzy has a weird ability to get in position to make the throw and the huevos to throw it and have it come back as a pick 6.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Next game with winds from the South ! gusting to 30 mph will wreak havok on the passing and kicking games and in ways that are head scratchingly unpredictable.  But the Josh is inaccurate narrative will likely fire up again.

Jackson floats his balls, so hopefully the wind bothers his passes, that would be nice to get a couple of picks.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I disagree. There are only a handful of guys with the arm talent to get that throw into that window on the run. Could maybe include Stafford in his day but imo there's no other QBs completing that pass.

Most NFL QBs can make that throw if they have time to set their feet and square up on balance. Allen has to duck the DE and jam the ball in that crazy thin margin sidearmed and running...not many guys with that kind of arm.

This is the NFL. Most QB have elite arm talent. Its about using it smartly and consistently. That is why I dont like the one pass shows he can do things no one else can. Go watch every other NFL QB throw passes at practice in games etc. They will all wow you. I played in college and there were QB's that never touched the field that could make amazing throws all the time. 

4 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Just wondering if the NG in your profile name is short for negative ?

That was a great throw that took awareness to see and a special arm to make

Why is that negative. Said it was a great pass. My comment was around the no one else can do this idea. 

Here is some more love from nfl.com.

Next Gen Stats: Compelling figures of NFL’s most improved players

Josh Allen silencing his doubters?

Josh Allen was a polarizing QB prospect coming out of Wyoming in 2018, and his rookie season numbers (67.9 passer rating) didn't do him any favors with his doubters. But Allen has shown significant improvement in Year 2, notably in key areas for QB development: inside the tackle box and vs. the blitz. Allen attempted just 76.3% of passes from inside the tackle box in 2018 (second-lowest rate in the NFL), but this season, Allen has increased that figure to 82.8 (seventh-lowest). Despite some chaotic tendencies, Allen's maturation from inside the tackle box has been remarkable (2018: 9 TDs, 9 INTs, 75.9 passer rating; 2019: 12 TDs, 5 INTs, 93.3 passer rating). Allen's split from inside the tackles looks more impressive since Week 5, throwing 10 TDs, 1 INT with a 103.2 rating on such passes. Allen has also improved vs. blitzes (2018: 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 58.1 passer rating; 2019: 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 83.6 passer rating) with a 7:0 TD-INT ratio and 109.0 passer rating vs. the blitz since Week 5.

It seems they always have to get a dig in on Josh for some strange reason.

Why the need to write this?

" Despite some chaotic tendencies,"

Whatever, us Bills fans know, and HAVE known for some time what we have in Josh.  The rest of the Country is now being made aware.