A great Josh Allen piece, and QB rankings.

whatdrought

I loved this piece from CBS giving a look at Josh's development, some of his best plays from Thanksgiving, and how bright his future is. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-14-qb-rankings-josh-allens-ascent-has-the-bills-within-striking-distance-of-the-patriots/

...it feels like we're going to learn something about Allen during the final month of the season. In his final four games, he'll face the Ravens (fourth in defensive DVOA), Steelers (third), Patriots (first), and Jets (10th). He'll be tested. If he falters, no one needs to write him off. The past eight games are already enough to offer hope of a better future. Allen has ascended. We still don't know how far that ascent can carry him or the Bills -- he still needs to continue to improve as a passer considering he's still only 25th in DYAR, 25th in DVOA, and 24th in total QBR  -- but he's already ascended higher than many of us (me) ever expected.

There's also a QB ranking here, and Allen is slotted in at 15:

2181054.png
Josh AllenBuffalo Bills QB
Credit to Allen, who is actually showing major signs of development in Year 2 after a shaky rookie season and first half of this season. More progress still needs to be made, but he's improving.

Last week: 19

Also, check out the video at the top of the page where the CBS talking heads preview the Bills matchup with the Ravens. 

NFL.com

NFL.com QB index has been hugely laughable throughout the season, but none-the-less, here it is: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084167/article/qb-index-week-14-lamar-jackson-still-no-1-josh-allen-surging?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews

Allen getting some respect at 13: 

13: Josh Allen

Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 13 | Blair: 15 | Filice: 11 | Parr: 14

2019 stats: 12 games | 61.5 pct | 2,591 pass yds | 7.1 ypa | 16 pass TD | 8 INT | 430 rush yds | 8 rush TD | 3 fumbles lost

Bhanpuri: Allen has jumped up 14 spots on this list since Week 2 thanks in part to several superb performances like the one he produced on Thanksgiving Day. We've received a lot of heat lately from Bills Mafia for our, perhaps, overly cautious wait-and-see approach to elevating the second-year pro higher in our rankings. To that, I point to the first five weeks of the season, when Allen's play morphed from one week to the next as it often did in Year 1.

Week 1 (passer rating): 71.2
Week 2: 101.1
Week 3: 81.1
Week 4: 24.0
Week 5: 98.3

So forgive us for wanting a bit more consistency from the signal-caller. Well, we asked for it and Josh Allen gave it to us. After last Thursday's signature win at Dallas, continuing a magnetic seven-week run since Buffalo's Week 6 bye, the rocket-armed passer has certainly offered up enough evidence to warrant a massive jump up the rankings. Although his accuracy still has room for improvement, his decision-making has been markedly better, as evidenced by his 16 total touchdowns (11 passing, 5 rushing) against just two giveaways in his last seven games. What better way to vault into the top 10 than to outduel the guy sitting at No. 1? Sunday should be fun.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

thanks for the links man...I just tossed this in another thread but i'll toss it in here too. NFL.com's season long qb rankings....http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084167/article/qb-index-week-14-lamar-jackson-still-no-1-josh-allen-surging …. I saw another list earlier in the week with him at 12. EXCITING TIMES!

Josh Allen

Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 13 | Blair: 15 | Filice: 11 | Parr: 14

2019 stats: 12 games | 61.5 pct | 2,591 pass yds | 7.1 ypa | 16 pass TD | 8 INT | 430 rush yds | 8 rush TD | 3 fumbles lost

Bhanpuri: Allen has jumped up 14 spots on this list since Week 2 thanks in part to several superb performances like the one he produced on Thanksgiving Day. We've received a lot of heat lately from Bills Mafia for our, perhaps, overly cautious wait-and-see approach to elevating the second-year pro higher in our rankings. To that, I point to the first five weeks of the season, when Allen's play morphed from one week to the next as it often did in Year 1.

Week 1 (passer rating): 71.2
Week 2: 101.1
Week 3: 81.1
Week 4: 24.0
Week 5: 98.3

So forgive us for wanting a bit more consistency from the signal-caller. Well, we asked for it and Josh Allen gave it to us. After last Thursday's signature win at Dallas, continuing a magnetic seven-week run since Buffalo's Week 6 bye, the rocket-armed passer has certainly offered up enough evidence to warrant a massive jump up the rankings. Although his accuracy still has room for improvement, his decision-making has been markedly better, as evidenced by his 16 total touchdowns (11 passing, 5 rushing) against just two giveaways in his last seven games. What better way to vault into the top 10 than to outduel the guy sitting at No. 1? Sunday should be fun

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

thanks for the links man...I just tossed this in another thread but i'll toss it in here too. NFL.com's season long qb rankings....http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084167/article/qb-index-week-14-lamar-jackson-still-no-1-josh-allen-surging

Beat me to it- I was updating my OP when you posted this. I was actually looking for this when I found the CBS one, prompting the post. Good stuff all around.

Allen can really shut his critics up this week.

I know last week's game was on a national stage, but this week's game is against the best team in the NFL.

I think expectations are he's going to fall on his face and have a terrible game this week.  Then watch the national narrative very quickly shift back.

But just imagine if Allen has a better game than Jackson and the Bills win?!?!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Beat me to it- I was updating my OP when you posted this. I was actually looking for this when I found the CBS one, prompting the post. Good stuff all around.

I've seen 3 lists this week that have our BILLS QB inside the top 15.... its 3/4 through the season and we have what would looks like a consensus top 15 qb still ascending! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Allen can really shut his critics up this week.

I know last week's game was on a national stage, but this week's game is against the best team in the NFL.

I think expectations are he's going to fall on his face and have a terrible game this week.  Then watch the national narrative very quickly shift back.

But just imagine if Allen has a better game than Jackson and the Bills win?!?!

giphy.gif

22/34 - 248 - 2 td's   | 12 Rushes 79 yards, 2 td's 

One "WOW" moment that will play on all the highlight reels- Stiff arming a LB and then straight up trucking Marcus Peters into the endzone on a 18 yard TD scamper. 

(Angry Runs winner fo sho)

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

22/34 - 248 - 2 td's   | 12 Rushes 79 yards, 2 td's 

One "WOW" moment that will play on all the highlight reels- Stiff arming a LB and then straight up trucking Marcus Peters into the endzone on a 18 yard TD scamper. 

(Angry Runs winner fo sho)

If that happens and we win, Allen propels himself into the peripheral discussion for MVP.

I'm not overly optimistic that's what happens, though.

Here's to hopin!  :thumbsup:

I could take that CBS article a little more seriously if the author didn’t take the first half telling everyone he was right originally about Josh sucking....but now he has grown!....he has changed! 

Also loses me even more when the teams with QBs 10-14 in that ranking would swap for JA out in a second 

Also Rivers?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

This whole Josh is inaccurate narrative is getting so old. The same standards are just not applied to other QBs. If the kid is that bad how does he make throws like this. 

q1beasley.gif

That throw was filthy. On the run, under pressure in his own end zone, threads the needle to Beasely in stride. Nuthin’ mo betta!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

This whole Josh is inaccurate narrative is getting so old. The same standards are just not applied to other QBs. If the kid is that bad how does he make throws like this. 

q1beasley.gif

There are only three QBs that can make that throw in the league right now: Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There are only three QBs that can make that throw in the league right now: Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen.

Not taking anything away from that pass. Fine play indeed. But never like the only so and so can make that play comments. Again great play and awareness stepping up in the pocket, but most QB's in the NFL can make that pass. Dont always do it and neither does Allen, but can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

q1beasley.gif

The Josh is inaccurate narrative by the media reminds me of the movie about Dewey Cox. 

JA could throw for 80% on the year, and people would still be talking about how he needs to be more accurate. 

It’s just like how every time Dewey Cox was on the phone with his wife, and at the very end she would always manage to squeeze in, “You’re never gonna make it”

(while playing in front of sold out shows)

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

That throw was filthy. On the run, under pressure in his own end zone, threads the needle to Beasely in stride. Nuthin’ mo betta!

yep the media always keeps throwing in that “Long way to go with is accuracy”

That throw was so sick, watching from that angle I’m not sure any qb makes that throw other than Josh Allen.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Not taking anything away from that pass. Fine play indeed. But never like the only so and so can make that play comments. Again great play and awareness stepping up in the pocket, but most QB's in the NFL can make that pass. Dont always do it and neither does Allen, but can. 

I disagree. There are only a handful of guys with the arm talent to get that throw into that window on the run. Could maybe include Stafford in his day but imo there's no other QBs completing that pass.

Most NFL QBs can make that throw if they have time to set their feet and square up on balance. Allen has to duck the DE and jam the ball in that crazy thin margin sidearmed and running...not many guys with that kind of arm.

• Like (+1) 6