College vs Pro Football

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What’s so different? 

Overtime rules in college isn't even real football. It's a game of 500. Targeting rules are ridiculous and over the top. I don't like the one foot vs two feet in bounds difference (although that's minor), and I don't like the clock stopping after a first down. I don't even like the shorter play clock, although that's a minor thing as well.

The thing that I do like about college is the larger rosters. But that's about all. The college game is slower, more chaotic, and there are far more boneheaded mistakes. Receivers are running WIDE open, and blowouts are common. The games are just less competitive. I don't like the power the big teams have who get all the recruits. I don't like that college players get special treatment and some of them come out of college without knowing how to do simple math or how to spell simple words. I don't like how we pretend it isn't about money when it clearly is.

The NFL, despite the fact that there are problems, at least admits that it's all about the money for all parties involved.

• Like (+1) 2

College is far more entertaining to watch. Aside from watching the Bills, I can't sit and watch an NFL game all the way through. This year especially, the prime time games have just been awful for the most part.

People arguing against college because of blow outs must only get small market teams playing big schools on TV because there have been a ton of great, marquee match ups this year. The rivalries aren't manufactured like they are in the NFL. The overtime rule is far superior. I've watched a few triple and quadruple overtime games in my time and they are INTENSE. The targeting rule is excellent and you will see it come to the NFL if they are serious about player safety. What costs you playing time in college will cost you money in the NFL and possibly suspensions if you're a repeat offender.

While you can have a defensive slugfest in college, the rules are geared towards offenses scoring points. Isn't that what the NFL tries to do every year?

1 minute ago, Luka said:

College is far more entertaining to watch. Aside from watching the Bills, I can't sit and watch an NFL game all the way through. This year especially, the prime time games have just been awful for the most part.

People arguing against college because of blow outs must only get small market teams playing big schools on TV because there have been a ton of great, marquee match ups this year. The rivalries aren't manufactured like they are in the NFL. The overtime rule is far superior. I've watched a few triple and quadruple overtime games in my time and they are INTENSE. The targeting rule is excellent and you will see it come to the NFL if they are serious about player safety. What costs you playing time in college will cost you money in the NFL and possibly suspensions if you're a repeat offender.

While you can have a defensive slugfest in college, the rules are geared towards offenses scoring points. Isn't that what the NFL tries to do every year?

yes, and Jr A hockey and AAA baseball can be said to be "more entertaining" as well

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yes, and Jr A hockey and AAA baseball can be said to be "more entertaining" as well

OK Boomer.

Another aspect of the college game I love is paying attention to the guys you know are going to come up to the NFL. The NFL is very star player driven, and to watch these guys stories start from before the draft is great. Having been someone who watched Houston and Ed Oliver crush Lamar Jackson in college gives a nice perspective to this game and maybe more hope than some of the older, cynical, miserable fans.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Luka said:

OK Boomer.

Another aspect of the college game I love is paying attention to the guys you know are going to come up to the NFL. The NFL is very star player driven, and to watch these guys stories start from before the draft is great. Having been someone who watched Houston and Ed Oliver crush Lamar Jackson in college gives a nice perspective to this game and maybe more hope than some of the older, cynical, miserable fans.

i'm sure dirt-track mud racing is "more entertaining" than Formula One

strange silly lousy ***** argument there kiddo....  :(

43 minutes ago, Luka said:

To each their own. Everything you stated is the exact opposite to how I feel. And I'm a millennial.

7 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Having just watched the final F1 race of the season last weekend, I can firmly say that the video of that Florida dog reversing in circles for an hour is more entertaining than F1.

the individual and team competitions were basically over halfway through the season, not unusual for F1

i don't understand why someone demands I enter their mind and soul and HAVE to agree that events below the upper limits of a discipline are "more exciting" than the big boys.

I never will.

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the individual and team competitions were basically over halfway through the season, not unusual for F1

i don't understand why someone demands I enter their mind and soul and HAVE to agree that events below the upper limits of a discipline are "more exciting" than the big boys.

I never will.

I'd never want everyone to agree with me because that would be boring. As long as we can disagree in the right way, we might learn a thing or two.

Personally, I like the college game because I think there's more diversity in schemes and skill sets. I'm in a minority that LOVES watching option teams run it 70 times a game. I respect the NFL as being the cream of the crop in terms of talent though. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'd never want everyone to agree with me because that would be boring. As long as we can disagree in the right way, we might learn a thing or two.

Personally, I like the college game because I think there's more diversity in schemes and skill sets. I'm in a minority that LOVES watching option teams run it 70 times a game. I respect the NFL as being the cream of the crop in terms of talent though. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

as noted above i enjoyed going to both genres games on road trips, but the pros is a totally accelerated level of talent and speed and violence

i don't particularly like QBs running a quasi-option, which is about 95% of top college games, and even some NFL teams

i like whatever is on, i don't care, i like DH or no-DH in MLB depending on what's on the TV or where I'm sitting

On 12/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, Luka said:

Yes. On paper, Auburn wouldn't stand much of a chance against Alabama. But when it comes to rivalry games in college sports, records are thrown out the window. There's an unexplainable phenomenon that happens. Houston's crosstown rival is rice. We're not in the same conference anymore, but play each other every year in other sports, and try to play every couple of years in football. 

Our team is lightyears ahead of Rice. We should beat them by at least 40 every time. But most years, they always show up, give us a game. We usually win, but rarely by the spread. Baseball our teams are almost always mismatched the past 6 years or so. Whenever we're good, they're having a down year, or vice versa. We always have a home/away/neutral site series that takes place throughout the year, and it's almost always 2 game to 1. 

On 12/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, Luka said:

OK Boomer.

I was at this game. Lol. It was fantastic.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, bills and clippers fan said:

Too many teams. 

This is actually something I like about college. The NFL has multiple teams, and you're gonna play every team a minimum of ever four years. You can have other teams that you like, but it's hard to have multiple favorite teams. I have three favorite teams. In order, Houston Cougars, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Buffalo Bulls. These teams rarely play each other. Last time it happened, from what I can find, was the 1979 Cotton Bowl between Houston and Notre Dame. Don't get me wrong, if any of them play each other again, I defintiely take sides, in the order I just listed them.

Notre Dame is my top-tier team. The team that has a somewhat realistic chance to win it all every year. My great grandfather was a season ticket holder, and took the train from Buffalo to South Bend every home game. My grandfather introduced me to them, and is what sparked my interest in college football. My goal is to see them win the national championship.

Houston is where I live now. They're mid tier. Because of their conference, they don't have a realistic shot at a national title. But they're good enough to hang with the big boys, and are usually at least in the conversation for a top 25 team. I have season tickets. While my grandfather and Notre Dame is what made me like college football, moving here and attending games,  tailgating, etc, is what made me fall in love with college football. Truly nothing else like it. While I'd love for them to win a national championship, it's a long shot even in our best year, so I'm happy with them winning the conference, being ranked, and getting a good New Years Bowl.

Buffalo - I don't follow them too closely, but my dad is a casual fan, and I'm from Buffalo of course, so I follow them. They have little to no chance at a national championship, but I'm happy for them to win the MAC, and play in a bowl game. Also enjoy(ed) watching their alum like Brandon Oliver and Khalil Mack playing in the NFL.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe