College vs Pro Football

What aspects of the Pro game do you prefer over the College, and Vice Versa? For me:

College:

Overtime System. I like the fact that there's virtually no way it ends in a tie. And each team gets an equal chance. It's like baseball extra innings. I get the NFL argument of "The defense should have be able to stop them." But we don't do that in baseball. If the team scores a run in the top of the 11th, we don't call game over. The home team always gets a chance to counter.

One foot in bounds for a catch. I just like this rule better.

Atmosphere at a game. NFL crowds just don't have as much fun as college crowds. The tailgating, the bands playing in the game, the fans generally just tend to have more passion and fun at the game. The Buffalo Bills fanbase are certainly an exception to this rule. We have the college atmosphere because we still have ticket prices that the real fan can afford. But most NFL stadiums just don't touch the fun of even smaller, lower level college games.

Pro:

Playoff system. This one is probably the most obvious. Every team is given a fair chance at the playoffs, and there's an actual system in place to determine who makes the playoffs. 

Parity. Even a game between the best and worst team in the league, is a game between the best, and 32nd best football team in the whole world. I understand why games are scheduled between Alabama and Central Northwestern Delaware Tech, the money, the practice for the better team, and the scout exposure for the few possible draftees on the smaller schoo's end. But it's not fun to watch as a fan of either team, or a random spectator. 

Pass Interference Rule. It should be at the spot of the foul, not a maximum of 15 yards. If I'm a college coach, I'm telling my players to do whatever they can to stop a pass longer than 15 yards, because I'd prefer the penalty. It's just now how the games should be played.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the college rule of once you are down, you are down, no contact needed.  It makes the game easier to officiate, fairer, less reviews, and safer.

College replay review system is better.  Close calls are reviewed upstairs by an impartial judge, not the ref on the field who already made the wrong call.  It's human nature to not want to admit fault.  Plus, the whole two challenges a game thing is dumb.  

I prefer two feet in bounds for a catch.  

In college, i don't like that the clock stops with every first down.  Makes the game longer and takes away the hurry up factor at the end. 

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

What aspects of the Pro game do you prefer over the College, and Vice Versa? For me:

College:

Overtime System. I like the fact that there's virtually no way it ends in a tie. And each team gets an equal chance. It's like baseball extra innings. I get the NFL argument of "The defense should have be able to stop them." But we don't do that in baseball. If the team scores a run in the top of the 11th, we don't call game over. The home team always gets a chance to counter.

Atmosphere at a game. NFL crowds just don't have as much fun as college crowds. The tailgating, the bands playing in the game, the fans generally just tend to have more passion and fun at the game. The Buffalo Bills fanbase are certainly an exception to this rule. We have the college atmosphere because we still have ticket prices that the real fan can afford. But most NFL stadiums just don't touch the fun of even smaller, lower level college games.

Pro:

Playoff system. This one is probably the most obvious. Every team is given a fair chance at the playoffs, and there's an actual system in place to determine who makes the playoffs. 

Parity. Even a game between the best and worst team in the league, is a game between the best, and 32nd best football team in the whole world. I understand why games are scheduled between Alabama and Central Northwestern Delaware Tech, the money, the practice for the better team, and the scout exposure for the few possible draftees on the smaller schoo's end. But it's not fun to watch as a fan of either team, or a random spectator. 

Pass Interference Rule. It should be at the spot of the foul, not a maximum of 15 yards. If I'm a college coach, I'm telling my players to do whatever they can to stop a pass longer than 15 yards, because I'd prefer the penalty. It's just now how the games should be played.

I'm sure a lot of 'real fans' can afford higher ticket prices.

25 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I like the college rule of once you are down, you are down, no contact needed.  It makes the game easier to officiate, fairer, less reviews, and safer.

College replay review system is better.  Close calls are reviewed upstairs by an impartial judge, not the ref on the field who already made the wrong call.  It's human nature to not want to admit fault.  Plus, the whole two challenges a game thing is dumb.  

In college, i don't like that the clock stops with every first down.  Makes the game longer and takes away the hurry up factor at the end. 

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I like that the clock stops after a first down. It make make the game a bit longer, the that just means more plays, not just more time. There used to be a lot more plays per game in the NFL than there is now.

I agree with your point about parity in college football.  The predictable blowouts get boring week after week.  You’re right about the driver being money, but I wish there was a better way. 

I would enjoy a relegation system like European soccer.  There could be three geographic regions: East, Central and West. Each region would have tiers with 12 teams in each tier, so each team could  play every divisional opponent once per season.  Each year, two teams move up and two teams move down.  

The playoffs could have eight teams, with two from each conference and two wild card teams. 

Every game would match 2 of the top 36 teams in every week of the season.  

The barrier to this is money, but with more entertaining football, the viewership should grow, growing the overall revenue stream. 

i think college players would be better prepared for the NFL by playing against real competition every week. 

I know this will never happen because the redistribution off wealth would be an impossible negotiation. 

4 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I agree with your point about parity in college football.  The predictable blowouts get boring week after week.  You’re right about the driver being money, but I wish there was a better way. 

I would enjoy a relegation system like European soccer.  There could be three geographic regions: East, Central and West. Each region would have tiers with 12 teams in each tier, so each team could  play every divisional opponent once per season.  Each year, two teams move up and two teams move down.  

The playoffs could have eight teams, with two from each conference and two wild card teams. 

Every game would match 2 of the top 36 teams in every week of the season.  

The barrier to this is money, but with more entertaining football, the viewership should grow, growing the overall revenue stream. 

i think college players would be better prepared for the NFL by playing against real competition every week. 

I know this will never happen because the redistribution off wealth would be an impossible negotiation. 

The relegation thing sort of happens, but it's not an official thing. I'm a Houston fan, and we've been so close to being a true contender. Problem is, every time we build a team good enough, it doesn't last because our coaches leave for other schools. Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman. It's not that we as a university can't match their salary. But with the way college football works,  if you're not in a P5 conference, you have zero chance at making the playoffs.

Being an upper mid tier school, it's hard to get big outer conference opponents. Where a team from the MAC (No offense to UB teams), is gonna lose every time. If we played Clemeson/LSU/etc, they'd win 19/20 times. But that doesn't do anything for their ranking. But, while it's a longshot, we have the ability to beat them, and that would just kill them so they refuse to play us.

Our basketball team is finally good, and will hopefully stay good for a while, because our coach can stay. 64 teams make the playoffs, so if you're a legit contender, you're in there. Even if you get a lower seed than you might deserve, all of the legitimate title contenders are given a fair shot. 

used to do weekend roadtrips

it was great at Saturday college games at Michigan/Mich St/Ohio State/Syracuse, lots of fun and good games

and then on Sunday was the NFL, sit close enough and see and hear and smell the carnage on every play

made me forget about the college kids

and then Saturday rolled around and it was great to be at a college game

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

College:

Pro:

I prefer the college rule for overtime.

I prefer the 2 feet in for pro, 1 foot for college. Just one of the those instances that differentiates between amateur and pro.

Same goes for pass interference: spot of foul for the pros, 15 yard cap for college.

I like the college concept when a player goes down, he's down, regardless if he was downed by contact.

Get rid of the playoffs at the college level, at least at the FBS level.

Go back to the BCS, or just just play the bowl games at the end of the year.

The disparity of talent and resources from the big schools to the small schools, and from the P5 conferences to the G5 conferences makes any attempt to "fix the problem" a waste of time.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The relegation thing sort of happens, but it's not an official thing. I'm a Houston fan, and we've been so close to being a true contender. Problem is, every time we build a team good enough, it doesn't last because our coaches leave for other schools. Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman. It's not that we as a university can't match their salary. But with the way college football works,  if you're not in a P5 conference, you have zero chance at making the playoffs.

Being an upper mid tier school, it's hard to get big outer conference opponents. Where a team from the MAC (No offense to UB teams), is gonna lose every time. If we played Clemeson/LSU/etc, they'd win 19/20 times. But that doesn't do anything for their ranking. But, while it's a longshot, we have the ability to beat them, and that would just kill them so they refuse to play us.

I suppose you can prove this?

Or is this just the usual BS fan speculation/fantasy?

9 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Our basketball team is finally good, and will hopefully stay good for a while, because our coach can stay. 64 teams make the playoffs, so if you're a legit contender, you're in there. Even if you get a lower seed than you might deserve, all of the legitimate title contenders are given a fair shot. 

I thought Oklahoma played Houston a couple years ago 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought Oklahoma played Houston a couple years ago 

They did. They played us again his year. I'm not saying it never happens. But it's very hard. We've been trying to get Texas to play us for years. Especially since that ass-hat Tom Herman left. Even offered to erase the money they owed us if they agreed to a home/home series.They're too scared to play us.

12 hours ago, MJS said:

College: Sucks

Pro: Way better is every way imaginable 

college is better for attending games, especially with kids or the elderly

the pro game can turn ugly real fast, fortunately i'm very tall and wide and my friends were as well, saw a lot of undeserved harm dished out to fans during the years

On 12/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, MJS said:

College: Sucks

Pro: Way better is every way imaginable 

Have you ever been exposed to big time college football in person? I wonder if we took you to a SEC game in the fall you would say the same thing. Great tailgating and game experience. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, peterpan said:

Agreed. It's a clear rule. 

But I prefer one foot in bounds for receptions, particularly ever since (2008) the force-out rule was eliminated by the NFL. That was a good move since it removed the uncertainty of "where would the receiver's feet have landed if he hadn't been pushed." But it took away too many sideline receptions ... nothing better than a 2 minute drill with the QB hitting those "got to get out of bounds" routes.

34 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Have you ever been exposed to big time college football in person? I wonder if we took you to an SEC game in the fall you would say the same thing. Great tailgating and game experience. 

It's the rules I don't like about college. Game day experience isn't going to change that.

23 hours ago, peterpan said:

I agree 
I would add for the NFL playoffs you should be seeded based on your record. I believe a 8-8 or 9-7 team should not host a home playoff game because they won a weak division.  

3 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

I agree 
I would add for the NFL playoffs you should be seeded based on your record. I believe a 8-8 or 9-7 team should not host a home playoff game because they won a weak division.  

they set the rules at the beginning of the season and a team has the right to slack off when they've clinched their lousy division

on a Saturday you'd see maybe 1 decent QB, usually 1-2 of them was running some kind of tinker-toy option game, even the elite schools, few college kids can throw the ball well

and then on Sunday you get there early and see Favre standing on the far 35 casually playing catch with someone in the far EZ for awhile

I prefer pro, but where college excels over pro is the enormous diversity of styles, which is just more interesting to watch than the sameness within the NFL. Just about every NFL team basically runs variants of the same offenses and defenses.  There are no Armies or Georgia Techs or Air Forces in the pros. Baltimore this year is a bit of an exception and frankly a breath of fresh air.