Doug Flutie to be legend of the game this Sunday

Rob Johnson was great at coming off the bench and playing good for one game, he could never put two good games together. In hindsight, it was a terrible move on John Butler's part for trading for Johnson, giving up a first and a fourth round picks for him. Flutie was a good game manager and had good scrambling ability, which was needed behind the Bills terrible O-line of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

RJ led us down the field for what should have been the GW FG on a clutch drive. You can point to the stats,  but if you recall, that Tenn Def was ridiculous with Kearse. He was unblockable all year and I don’t think tenn lost at home that year. 

for how Flutie was playing down the stretch in the regular season compared to how RJ

looked in that last regular season game, I can see why the team made the call. And I was a fan of both guys! 

No...it was a terrible decision. There is a reason why that was the first time in history that decision was made...and like the last. You don't bench your healthy starting QB for the backup based on how he looked in a week 17 meaningless game. RJ was a statue and because of Kearse is the exact reason Flutie needed to be back there. Those sacks and fumbles and the safety killed us. Doesn't happen with Flutie back there. TERRIBLE DECISION!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

. Flutie is one of the best QB's to have played for the Bills. I'm not just saying that, it's a fact.

that's testimony to how much the franchise has SUCKED in QBs outside of not-even-a handful of them, some darn good ones there in that list

The Bears have been way more pitiful in QB history...  that's about it offhand.

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Flutie hate is silly. Flutie is one of the best QB's to have played for the Bills. I'm not just saying that, it's a fact. He's one of the few that took us to playoff games. He's one of the very few that have a winning record.

And what do all of you haters think he did that was so horrible? He wanted to play. He didn't respect Johnson because Flutie knew he sucked. He was vocal about it. Why is that such a big deal, especially when he was right? Rob Johnson was a crappy QB. If things weren't so political for the Bills those years, it would have been clear that Flutie should have been starting the whole time.

The hate comes from Flutie undermining Johnson, even if you  think your better you don't campaign. Instead he divided the locker room. In terms of RJ's crappiness, the kid has ONE NFL start before he got here. Sure he struggled his first two games against San Diego and Miami. Yet that 3rd game against the Rams he was pretty good and we should have realistically won that game if Flutie could have killed that clock in the end to avoid the Rams getting the ball and win in last few seconds. The game following that he beats a 49ers team. He gets hurt vs Indy and doesn't play again until Week 17 when he plays great against New Orleans. Yes, Flutie played well in 1998 but he outright sucked in 1999, Phillips played RJ in the finale and played great again showing a spark that the offense hadn't seen all season beating a Colts team that Flutie lost to in our season opener that year. So that's why Flutie got benched right fullyso or not. Those that clamor record only didn't want to see Flutie's horrible stats, they just accepted the win for the win. Hell people complain about Josh's struggles last year, Flutie's completion percentage in 1999 was worse!!! despite playing how many games in the USFL, NFL and CFL prior to that? To me the biggest flaw in supporting Flutie is he didn't play well and he wasn't going to be a long term answer at QB at his age. Toss in Flutie's renegotiated contract after 1998 killed our cap.  At least with RJ there was hope with youth on his side, yet again his inability to play through injuries, inability to be consistent cost him his job ultimately but I would like to have seen him in 1998/1999 with more playing time to see if he could have come out of it, if he didn't oh well we just get rid of him that much faster.

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

No...it was a terrible decision. There is a reason why that was the first time in history that decision was made...and like the last. You don't bench your healthy starting QB for the backup based on how he looked in a week 17 meaningless game. RJ was a statue and because of Kearse is the exact reason Flutie needed to be back there. Those sacks and fumbles and the safety killed us. Doesn't happen with Flutie back there. TERRIBLE DECISION!

You're right with Flutie we probably see him throw 2 or 3 interceptions instead of taking the sacks RJ took and the Titans end up getting a few more FG attempts and the game out of reach in the 4th Quarter because everyone can play this revisionist history game since nobody knows for sure what Flutie would have done it that game.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

The hate comes from Flutie undermining Johnson, even if you  think your better you don't campaign. Instead he divided the locker room. In terms of RJ's crappiness, the kid has ONE NFL start before he got here. Sure he struggled his first two games against San Diego and Miami. Yet that 3rd game against the Rams he was pretty good and we should have realistically won that game if Flutie could have killed that clock in the end to avoid the Rams getting the ball and win in last few seconds. The game following that he beats a 49ers team. He gets hurt vs Indy and doesn't play again until Week 17 when he plays great against New Orleans. Yes, Flutie played well in 1998 but he outright sucked in 1999, Phillips played RJ in the finale and played great again showing a spark that the offense hadn't seen all season beating a Colts team that Flutie lost to in our season opener that year. So that's why Flutie got benched right fullyso or not. Those that clamor record only didn't want to see Flutie's horrible stats, they just accepted the win for the win. Hell people complain about Josh's struggles last year, Flutie's completion percentage in 1999 was worse!!! despite playing how many games in the USFL, NFL and CFL prior to that? To me the biggest flaw in supporting Flutie is he didn't play well and he wasn't going to be a long term answer at QB at his age. Toss in Flutie's renegotiated contract after 1998 killed our cap.  At least with RJ there was hope with youth on his side, yet again his inability to play through injuries, inability to be consistent cost him his job ultimately but I would like to have seen him in 1998/1999 with more playing time to see if he could have come out of it, if he didn't oh well we just get rid of him that much faster.

I honestly don't care that he "undermined" Johnson. Johnson sucked. Flutie was better. Doesn't mean Flutie was great, just means he deserved to play over Johnson.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I honestly don't care that he "undermined" Johnson. Johnson sucked. Flutie was better. Doesn't mean Flutie was great, just means he deserved to play over Johnson.

Johnson outplayed Flutie in 1999 plain and simple. I care that he undermined Johnson because it's unprofessional. I mean do you think Fluie would be part of the process we have here now? Nope and he'd be out the door. 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

But what convinces some people the Bills would have beaten the Titans if Flutie had played? There is nothing in his NFL past or future that suggest that.

Well let's see.

RJ took more sacks the Flutie did all year (TWICE as many than he did all year besides the opener)
RJ had more fumbles than Flutie had all year

RJ took a safety which Flutie hadnt given up all year

RJ had less passing yards than Flutie had all year

Rob Johnson was a statue in the pocket. WRONG GUY to stick back there against that Titans pass rush. HUGE MISTAKE and there is PLENTY OF EVIDENCE to back my point in a game that came down to the last play. RJ had BY FAR the worst showing at QB for the year all season and you say what evidence do we have Flutie would have won??? Be realistic. Obviously nobody knows for sure what would have happened by my goodness the odds are HEAVILY stacked in the favor of my train of thought.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Would it be improper of me to boo him?

Nope.  And any members of the Bills' defense during his tenure would be well within their right to boo him, as well.

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Well let's see.

RJ took more sacks the Flutie did all year (TWICE as many than he did all year besides the opener)
RJ had more fumbles than Flutie had all year

RJ took a safety which Flutie hadnt given up all year

RJ had less passing yards than Flutie had all year

Rob Johnson was a statue in the pocket. WRONG GUY to stick back there against that Titans pass rush. HUGE MISTAKE and there is PLENTY OF EVIDENCE to back my point in a game that came down to the last play. RJ had BY FAR the worst showing at QB for the year all season and you say what evidence do we have Flutie would have won??? Be realistic. Obviously nobody knows for sure what would have happened by my goodness the odds are HEAVILY stacked in the favor of my train of thought.

YOUR TRAIN OF THOUGHT IS FLAWED WHEN IGNORE  DON'T LOOK AT HOW CRAPPY OUR OFFENSE WAS IN 1999 UNDER FLUTIE  THE LAST 6 GAMES HE STARTED!!!!!

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

LOOK AT HOW CRAPPY OUR OFFENSE WAS IN 1999 UNDER FLUTIE  THE LAST 6 GAMES HE STARTED!!!!!

DOES 

NOT 

MATTER

None were as CRAPPY as RJ's game. IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION!

You dont make that change for game 1 of the playoffs. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE AND WILL LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. Plenty of QBs entered the playoffs struggling. Eli won both his superbowls following subpar seasons. YOU STICK WITH YOUR STARTER. YOU STICK WITH WHAT EARNED YOU A PLAYOFF SPOT. 

T

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

DOES 

NOT 

MATTER

None were as CRAPPY as RJ's game. IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION!

You dont make that change for game 1 of the playoffs. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE AND WILL LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. Plenty of QBs entered the playoffs struggling. Eli won both his superbowls following subpar seasons. YOU STICK WITH YOUR STARTER. YOU STICK WITH WHAT EARNED YOU A PLAYOFF SPOT. 

T

IF someone tackles Dyson on the kickoff nobody cares how bad RJ played because he won us the game when he left the field, he gets the Flutie treatment and treated as a hero and most likely don't care about Flutie until the next season, yet even with Flutie or RJ we would never had won a Super Bowl against the Rams, so who cares?

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

The year before in the playoffs, Flutie FUMBLED to lose the game. He was the goat in that game. What in the world makes people think the outcome would have been different against the Titans? If you really think Flutie was The Man for that job, what became of his career after that year? Did he "just win" after that? Flutie was done. Truth is, he was done much earlier than the Bills realized.

I'm not defending RJ here. As it turns out, his career in the NFL was as forgettable as Flutie's was after that year. But he was young, had an arm (something Flutie lacked by then) and was clearly the QB of the future for the Bills---if anyone on the roster was going to get that job. His performance the game before was pretty impressive and IMO he deserved to get the start.

I hear what you're saying and I agree with your take on Flutie's arm being shot but accusing Flutie of "fumbling" the Miami playoff game away is conveniently ignoring the fact that he took a massive blind side hit from Miami's defensive line on that last offensive play of the Bills. A hit that should have been picked up by Thurman. Any Bills QB past or present would have been separated from the ball on a hit that hard. In addition, it was an earlier fumble by Moulds right at the start which should have been a long bomb TD that was also killer.  Flutie' s NFL career was mediocre, I agree but had far more interesting moments than that total fraud Johnson.

Edited by Livinginthepast

36 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Johnson outplayed Flutie in 1999 plain and simple. I care that he undermined Johnson because it's unprofessional. I mean do you think Fluie would be part of the process we have here now? Nope and he'd be out the door. 

You cant outplay a 15 game starter who went 10-5 IN ONE GAME. A MEANINGLESS GAME! NO PRESSURE.  Yes he had a 122 QB Rating. Flutie had 122 or better 3 TIMES THAT YEAR including a 133 rating against a playoff team.

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You cant outplay a 15 game starter who went 10-5 IN ONE GAME. A MEANINGLESS GAME! NO PRESSURE.  Yes he had a 122 QB Rating. Flutie had 122 or better 3 TIMES THAT YEAR including a 133 rating against a playoff team.

What Flutie do his last 6 games? The offense was stagnant and that's why he got benched. The Colts game wasn't meaningless as they were playing for home field advantage, if it was meaningless Peyton would never had started. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

IF someone tackles Dyson on the kickoff nobody cares how bad RJ played because he won us the game when he left the field, he gets the Flutie treatment and treated as a hero and most likely don't care about Flutie until the next season, yet even with Flutie or RJ we would never had won a Super Bowl against the Rams, so who cares?

WRONG! We win that game and MANY would have been clamoring that we go back to Flutie. AGAIN he threw for LESS yards than Flutie did all year. Got sacked MORE time. Had MORE fumbles. MORE safeties. And cause he led a game winning FG drive it would erase the HORRIBLE game? RJ completed 2 passes that drive for 23 yards. WOW!!! WHAT A HERO! Come on man. 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

What Flutie do his last 6 games? The offense was stagnant and that's why he got benched. The Colts game wasn't meaningless as they were playing for home field advantage, if it was meaningless Peyton would never had started. 

Flutie had a 140 QB Rating in one of these last 6 games you speak of. We went 4-2. HOW SPOILED WE WERE!!! Let's bench the last QB who will lead us to the playoffs for the last time in the next 18 years cause he is in a slump. NO TEAM DOES THIS. NEVER HAPPENED. STOP DEFENDING THIS!!!

Edited by StHustle
  • Haha (+1) 2