Doug Flutie to be legend of the game this Sunday

Like him or not, the story of the Buffalo Bills can’t be told without him.  And we might not have a franchise now had he not jolted the fan base and spurred the suite and luxury sales we needed to keep the team here.  He’s welcome back, especially since it should help break the Flutie Curse (if one believes in such things :))

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Dean said:

And he fumbled away the previous year's playoff loss!

Oh wait, that was Skin Flutie! 

he biffed every playoff game in the NFL, was HANDED the 86 Bears and stunk

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

but the Bears' defense gave up points, how is that Doug's fault? [/sarcasm]

he lost the Bears locker room so bad that when Dexter Manley jumped offside and went right on to take Doug down, after the play was whistled over, nobody came to help the QB on the ground

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he lost the Bears locker room so bad that when Dexter Manley jumped offside and went right on to take Doug down, after the play was whistled over, nobody came to help the QB on the ground

Toss in he crossed the picket line a few years later. The guy wasn't well liked but a lot of fans don't seem to know. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Toss in he crossed the picket line a few years later. The guy wasn't well liked but a lot of fans don't seem to know. 

are there a lot of anecdotes from NFL teammates about what a great guy he was?

it was very sad in that documentary when he threw the football right at his son's face, i guess he wanted to show us what happens when you do this.... we kind of knew what would happen before it hit him and he barely reacted.... :(

nonetheless hope it goes well on Sunday and he gets a got reception from the fans!!

44 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he biffed every playoff game in the NFL, was HANDED the 86 Bears and stunk

You seem to be on a Ray Finkle hating Dan Marino level of hatred towards Flutie. Is your bedroom full of flutie posters with targets on them? Just curious. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DocLawless said:

You seem to be on a Ray Finkle hating Dan Marino level of hatred towards Flutie. Is your bedroom full of flutie posters with targets on them? Just curious. 

nope, a certain type of predictable person in my life worshipped Flutie during his career, it wasn't a profile i would wish on anyone... it was sad...

the CFL connection made him more esteemed up here, he had great success with the Argos for awhile.

• Like (+1) 1

I still remember that bootleg against Jacksonville.  Love him or hate him, he's the only Bills QB since Jim Kelly with a winning record (JA currently notwithstanding).  He's a malcontent when he's benched behind inferior QB's.  We win the Titans game if Wade wasn't a ***** about starting Scrub Johnson.  Flutie was fine here until that happened.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....will his ego fit through the tunnel?...just askin'............

My work is hosting someone that was relevant some 20+ years ago(more like 30+) and you would not believe how entitled they are acting because of it with all the pre-visit conditions as well as everything they need when they arrive. 

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Like him or not, the story of the Buffalo Bills can’t be told without him.  And we might not have a franchise now had he not jolted the fan base and spurred the suite and luxury sales we needed to keep the team here.  He’s welcome back, especially since it should help break the Flutie Curse (if one believes in such things :))

Nice post, but it never was the Flutie Curse, it was the Ralph Curse, and we are finally seeing signs that it's over. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

As a kid, I loved Flutie.  He was one of my favorite players and seemed like the greatest guy ever.  

The more I read into the Flutie vs Johnson competition, the media reported that Flutie was constantly lobbying behind the scenes to be the starter.  It also sounds like he was a locker room politician and I remember Thurman alluding to the fact the he didn’t like Flutie.  It’s very surprising because Doug seems like the nicest guy but multiple people reported it.  

It seems like Doug was in kind of a bad situation.  He signed with the Bills as

the most popular player in the CFL.  He probably signed with the intent to be a starter and then a month later or so, the Bills trade a 1st rounder for RJ.  

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

As a kid, I loved Flutie.  He was one of my favorite players and seemed like the greatest guy ever.  

The more I read into the Flutie vs Johnson competition, the media reported that Flutie was constantly lobbying behind the scenes to be the starter.  It also sounds like he was a locker room politician and I remember Thurman alluding to the fact the he didn’t like Flutie.  It’s very surprising because Doug seems like the nicest guy but multiple people reported it.  

It seems like Doug was in kind of a bad situation.  He signed with the Bills as

the most popular player in the CFL.  He probably signed with the intent to be a starter and then a month later or so, the Bills trade a 1st rounder for RJ.  

Well, that's exactly what happened. Instead of handling it like a pro, he whined like a baby. He was exciting and had some talent. He could have been a great mentor relief pitcher, and probably would have had MORE success in the NFL. But his inability to be a team player really hurt the team, and Skin's NFL production and legacy.