The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

13 hours ago, snafu said:

Trump’s reasons are what they are. Whatever he says his motives were, I think people will interpret them and make conclusions according to their own personal biases. You said yourself that you want to know whether he had honest or corrupt purposes. The truth isn’t so binary.  And for this reason the motives are not material. 

Ask yourself honestly whether the President should be removed on such a thin pretext whereby you or anyone else can disagree over an interpretation of the President’s motives. 

Ask yourself whether Biden shouldn’t be investigated for corruption merely because he declared his candidacy for President. It didn’t stop anyone from questioning whether Trump was “pure” in 2016 and beyond. 

@keepthefaith already nearly summarized the other main reasons why mixed motives are a dangerous thing when impeaching a President. Are you going to have a test about what motives were more or less influential? 

Let the voters decide in November. 

With all due respect, were you drinking even more than me?   Motivations are not material?  The truth is too vague?  Sorry, that seems plain silly to me.  The primary reason we can't get to the bottom of the motive question is due to the WH blocking.  That should enter into your thinking, imo

Honestly, do you really think if Trump had all sorts of emails and texts and witnesses that could easily exonerate him, that he would really hold them back from Congress to protect future Presidents?  When has he done something like that before, as opposed to what is best for Donnie ?

I used a football analogy before.  If there is strong suspicion that one team is paying off the officials, does it make sense to ignore that possibility, not investigate, and say, let it be decided on the field?

Edited by Bob in Mich

4 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

With all due respect, were drinking even more than me?   Motivations are not material?  The truth is too vague?  Sorry, that seems plain silly to me.  The primary reason we can't get to the bottom of the motive question is due to the WH blocking.  That should enter into your thinking, imo

Honestly, do you really think if Trump had all sorts of emails and texts and witnesses that could easily exonerate him, that he would really hold them back from Congress to protect future Presidents?  When has he done something like that before, as opposed to what is best for Donnie ?

I used a football analogy before.  If there is strong suspicion that one team is paying off the officials, does it make sense to ignore that possibility, not investigate, and say, let it be decided on the field?

Here's a basketball analogy of your posts:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well MY opinion really isnt relevant to anything , is it but since you want to know, I think his motivation was as Sondland said, to have them do the right thing  and look into what Ukraine's role was in the 2016 election, i think Trump is pissed the Ukraine was out to get him and i cant blame him and it is also Trumps job to investigate corruption according ot a pact they have with the Ukriane.   The fact Biden is running for President is irrelevant (except for the political sideshow we have going on), does Biden have immunity?  Entire thing is afarce.  To me clearly Biden is dirty.  Biden is also a walking gaffe machine and frankly would be easy for Trump to beat him so i dont think Trunmp had some super secret Macheviallioan plot to thwart Biden because he is a candidate.  Just what the appeal is for Biden is beyond me, a corrupt ol feeble minded white guy, reads like a lot of ex president we have had.

I appreciate the reply.  Of course, we disagree but thanks. 

Well MY opinion really isnt relevant to anything , is it but since you want to know, I think his motivation was as Sondland said, to have them do the right thing  and look into what Ukraine's role was in the 2016 election, i think Trump is pissed the Ukraine was out to get him and i cant blame him and it is also Trumps job to investigate corruption according ot a pact they have with the Ukriane.   The fact Biden is running for President is irrelevant (except for the political sideshow we have going on), does Biden have immunity?  Entire thing is afarce.  To me clearly Biden is dirty.  Biden is also a walking gaffe machine and frankly would be easy for Trump to beat him so i dont think Trunmp had some super secret Macheviallioan plot to thwart Biden because he is a candidate.  Just what the appeal is for Biden is beyond me, a corrupt ol feeble minded white guy, reads like a lot of ex president we have had.

Honest question, do you think Trump University was a scam business? I mean once a corrupt person, always a corrupt person. 

Trump University is a worse scam than anything Hunter Biden did. 

• Haha (+1) 1

….your morning dose of Cali-FECES from Broom Hilda....SMH...………..

Pelosi argues Trump 'cannot be acquitted,' suggests defense team should be disbarred

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

In scathing comments Thursday as her party appeared on the verge of defeat in the Senate impeachment trial, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi argued that President Trump "cannot be acquitted" if the trial lacks the witness testimony and documentation that Democrats have been seeking.

The San Francisco Democrat also fired on Trump's impeachment defense team, saying they've "disgraced themselves" during this week's trial and suggesting they deserve disbarment over their trial remarks.

The comments came hours before Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., said he would not back efforts by Democrats to have witnesses testify at the Senate trial – all but sealing an acquittal for Trump.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-defense-team-disgraced-themselves-deserve-disbarment-pelosi-suggests

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

15 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

The truth is TYTT's take doesn't mean anything either way.  Just looking to exchange thoughts.  I read posts here often and am tempted to weigh in but usually conclude, why bother? 

I have some injury/health issues.  I search for a distraction at times.  Posting gives a decent distraction, lol, as I am a popular punching bag.  I value opinions and the learning but mostly I am trying to get through a bad stretch. 

As an aside, If TYTT gave an answer I didn't like I wouldn't harass the hell out of him for years.

Actually a very level headed and fair comments.  You do take a lot of abuse here, i dont know your "history" here so i have no idea if in fact it is "deserved" or not.  I try not to get emotinal either way.  I am not a great Trump fan, some of what he does, his comments, are just crazy but his policies have been spot on and the economy is doing great.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Honest question, do you think Trump University was a scam business? I mean once a corrupt person, always a corrupt person. 

Trump University is a worse scam than anything Hunter Biden did. 

BIG BIG differnce my friend.

Yea Trump University was proabaly a borderline "scam" but that was a a privater citizen, the peolpe that got those diplomas got a "degree" from a cheap univeristy for having done very little, they got what they paid for, a cheap diploma for a fly by night university.  And it was all in the private sector.  You want to call it a scam, yeah fine by me.  Are all the universities that you can get degress on line "scams", eh depends how you look at them.

What Biden did was abuse his office for personal game, he violated the public trust, it was the ultimate in a corrupt act.

• Like (+1) 2

What a great day !

Two losses for transatlantic twits: Brexit finally happens, impeachment collapses

by Sohrab Ahmari

Original Article

How much punishment must liberal elites on both sides of the Atlantic endure before they learn not to try to undo the will of voters? That such trickery only invites fiercer and more decisive popular backlashes? This week, elites on both sides of the Atlantic had their knuckles rapped on ­exactly these points — yet again. The United Kingdom finalized its divorce, once and for all, from the European Union — despite three years of underhanded ­efforts from “Remoaners” determined to keep the marriage going.

Acquittal AND Brexit.................... My cup runneth over

TeaCup190803.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually a very level headed and fair comments.  You do take a lot of abuse here, i dont know your "history" here so i have no idea if in fact it is "deserved" or not.  I try not to get emotinal either way.  I am not a great Trump fan, some of what he does, his comments, are just crazy but his policies have been spot on and the economy is doing great.

Thanks.  I appreciate the comments and civility.

lol, I generate new hate each day but primarily, most here came to dislike me from the 'Know Anyone With a Disease' PPP thread that I began in 2014.  It is a medical marijuana thread.  Back then I lived in Michigan that had approved it years earlier than NY state.  I tried to be educational but battling through all the ignorance, snark, and drug pusher allegations, things often devolved into insult exchanges. 

This thread: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/169052-know-anyone-with-a-disease-read-this/

Edited by Bob in Mich

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

BIG BIG differnce my friend.

Yea Trump University was proabaly a borderline "scam" but that was a a privater citizen, the peolpe that got those diplomas got a "degree" from a cheap univeristy for having done very little, they got what they paid for, a cheap diploma for a fly by night university.  And it was all in the private sector.  You want to call it a scam, yeah fine by me.  Are all the universities that you can get degress on line "scams", eh depends how you look at them.

What Biden did was abuse his office for personal game, he violated the public trust, it was the ultimate in a corrupt act.

So Trump has changed to an honest person? Doubt that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

So Trump has changed to an honest person? Doubt that. 

So you asked a question, i answered and you ignored what i said.   Strange no mention of Biden from what i said.  And i never said or intimated because ofTrump University, Trump wasnt honest, as i said it was a fly by night university for fly by night degrees, runnijng that doesnt mean he is "dishoinest".   

You really dont want to debate, you want to preach and proselytize

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So you asked a question, i answered and you ignored what i said.   Strange no mention of Biden from what i said.  And i never said or intimated because ofTrump University, Trump wasnt honest, as i said it was a fly by night university for fly by night degrees, runnijng that doesnt mean he is "dishoinest".   

You are more right than wrong 

• Haha (+1) 1

A bit more information on how scammy?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/federal-court-approves-25-million-trump-university-settlement-n845181

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Sorry but that means nothihng to me, any fool that would enroll in Trump University had to have known what they were getting into. As far as settling, that means nothing to me as well, he was running for president and $25 million for it to go away was worth every penny to him, settling doesnt imply guilt at all, business decsion. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

With all due respect, were drinking even more than me?   Motivations are not material?  The truth is too vague?  Sorry, that seems plain silly to me.  The primary reason we can't get to the bottom of the motive question is due to the WH blocking.  That should enter into your thinking, imo

I think, Robby, it's hard for folks to grasp where you're coming from at times. I mean, I know where you're coming from, I just don't know why you would ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever think that in such a highly partisan "investigation" that any supporter of the president would push for more/extended hearings on this.  

See, in my opinion, it makes the most sense to avail oneself of every legal and rational argument or procedural opportunity to close this out with the knowledge that your adversary failed.  I know you know the dems would follow that process, and we can both agree they already did in setting up the impeachment case to begin with.  If the evidence they had was strong enough to carry the day legally, after the house had completed it's dirty work, there would be little reason not to move forward.  Again, they didn't even carry their own partisan party on this issue.  How the heck does that happen if they have the Trumpsta dead to rights?

I get the "what were his motivations" angle, and "why can't we just talk more, where's the harm in that if you're innocent?" approach.  That's a law enforcement/big government tactic used all the time.  Let's acknowledge that as 'fishing', but let's also agree that has absolutely nothing--zero, nada, zilch--to do with what is in the best interest of the subject of the investigation.  

If the WH "blocking" witnesses is illegal, the dems should have at it.  If not, just like Schiff, Biden or Biden Jr aren't out begging to testify voluntarily to help us all understand this polarizing events of days past, the R's should rightly tell the enemy to suck a nut.  

I do agree though, DJT is the first President/politician who did not go to the Mother Theresa Slums of Mumbai Selflessness Training Academy.  I think as citizens were should all be grateful that prior to #45, we had 44 presidents (44.5 if you include Popular Vote Queen and Haffa-Prez Hillary C) who sacrificed everything for the good of all people everywhere.  May God Bless them, may God Bless them all. 

• Like (+1) 1