The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

42 minutes ago, B-Man said:

McConnell doesn’t have the votes to block witnesses yet — but it sounds like he will by Friday

The headlines going around this evening, all to the effect that “McConnell doesn’t have the votes!”, are misleading when you read down into the stories themselves. Republicans sound much calmer and more resolute about ramming through an acquittal verdict without witnesses than they did 24 hours ago, in the first flush of the NYT’s story on Sunday night about Bolton’s book. McConnell doesn’t have the votes yet but as of Tuesday night Collins and Romney remain the only two Republicans willing to say it’s highly likely they’ll vote to call witnesses. Murkowski is interested in hearing from Bolton but won’t go any further than that now. And no one thinks Lamar Alexander’s going to blow up his buddy Mitch’s plans for a quick ending to the trial.

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/01/28/mcconnell-doesnt-votes-block-witnesses-yet-sounds-like-will-friday/

At one time I thought Romney a decent human being.  Now I see him as a cross between Eddie Haskel and the kid from Cobra Kai who cheapshotted Daniel-San in Karate Kid.  He’s basically a 3rd rate actress promising multiple  points of entry on the political version of Harvey Weinsteins casting couch. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

What’s more fun?????

This impeachment nonsense, or.............

the nonsensical debate on the Bills passing on Mahomes?

I find it interesting that the lefties here never post on football.  Why then come to PPP other then to stir things up?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well here's the point. You find truth where you see it. You see references to a constitutional scholar as a "backslap", I see it a ls reference to a constitutional scholar.  You see this whole debacle as a pursuit of truth, I see it as a debacle of the highest order. You see Adam Schiff as a seeker of truth, I see him simply as a partisan who likely is pursuit of something, but the truth ain't it. 

Finally, being a natural born skeptic, I look at every president in the history of the country as having been impeachable if this is the standard we're going to use moving forward.  If that's the case, so be it. 

Lonny, again, you seem like a nice guy and if you ever get out this way, look me up and we can get a bite and a few beers.  Sounds like an enjoyable evening.

I just disagree with your political views by the maximum possible amount.  lol

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

At one time I thought Romney a decent human being.  Now I see him as a cross between Eddie Haskel and the kid from Cobra Kai who cheapshotted Daniel-San in Karate Kid.  He’s basically a 3rd rate actress promising multiple  points of entry on the political version of Harvey Weinsteins casting couch. 

He was the Repub nominee.  Just asking but did it ever strike you as odd that so many formerly 'deemed reasonable folks' become a-holes once they speak against Trump?  In fact immediately upon talking against Trump the transformation seems to take place.  Odd to me

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

He was the Repub nominee.  Just asking but did it ever strike you as odd that so many formerly 'deemed reasonable folks' become a-holes once they speak against Trump?  In fact immediately upon talking against Trump the transformation seems to take place.  Odd to me

Romney's always been a quisling.

Totally without any kind of backbone. Just look at his time in Mass.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Romney's always been a quisling.

Totally without any kind of backbone. Just look at his time in Mass.

The last time I had any real respect for Romney was during that first debate against Obama. After that, he just sort of fizzled out. Once it looked like Trump was going to win the nomination, Romney went full McCain against Trump, proving to me that he was just another uniparty douche. As far as I'm concerned, Romney can go ***** himself.

• Like (+1) 8

4 hours ago, Azalin said:

The last time I had any real respect for Romney was during that first debate against Obama. After that, he just sort of fizzled out. Once it looked like Trump was going to win the nomination, Romney went full McCain against Trump, proving to me that he was just another uniparty douche. As far as I'm concerned, Romney can go ***** himself.

Makes me wonder what Obama found on him while spying during that election. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

did you ever notice that the MSM portrays some Republicans as moderates or mavericks and the kind that even Liberals could vote for?  Until those Republicans are actually on the Presidential ballot, and then they become raysis warmonger super mecha literal Hitlers that take peoples jobs and give them Cancer.  Then when those Republicans are no longer a threat, they are painted as the moderate and reasonable Republicans again?

• Like (+1) 13

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

did you ever notice that the MSM portrays some Republicans as moderates or mavericks and the kind that even Liberals could vote for?  Until those Republicans are actually on the Presidential ballot, and then they become raysis warmonger super mecha literal Hitlers that take peoples jobs and give them Cancer.  Then when those Republicans are no longer a threat, they are painted as the moderate and reasonable Republicans again?

YUPPPPPPPP

8 hours ago, snafu said:

It started before Trump, but it is worse now.

Dems lose in 2016 and call for the Electoral College to be abolished.

Hate the President, the “steady state” Obama holdovers manufacture a bogus investigation into collusion.

Trump puts a couple Supremes in place and Dems call for the Court to be enlarged to 15.

Dems can’t find a viable candidate so they lower the impeachment threshold and shove it through by a partisan vote.

Can’t win by following the rules so they go for complete rules change in response.

Clinton tried to bully Trump into saying he’d accept the results of the election and then freaked out when he said “let’s see”. Then she lost and she still hasn’t accepted the results. Half the country has followed her lead and thrown a temper tantrum since November 2016. The hate and rhetoric actually comes from the left.  Same happened with Bush in his first term to a much lesser extent. Dems wouldn’t legitimize him because of the Florida mess.

If ever I was going to plagiarize someones writings......this would be it. Last 4 years in a nutshell. My biggest fear is when are they planning assassination? The hate is unbelievable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

If ever I was going to plagiarize someones writings......this would be it. Last 4 years in a nutshell. My biggest fear is when are they planning assassination? The hate is unbelievable. 

I bet this is the break the glass plan 2020

23 hours ago, snafu said:

What more do you need to know?

Would it confirm what you suspect, or change your mind?

The answer is, I want to know the truth.  What other investigations have you seen where people lobbied to not learn the truth?  Aside from not wanting to hear grisly details of violent attacks or accidents, I can't think where folks want to turn away from available case facts.  I suppose there are various legal issues with concealing facts from juries, but that is not what we have here.  In this case we have Bolton, a key player, that has information and claims to be willing to tell us all what he knows.

I want all of us to agree on what actually happened and whether or not that behavior is now legal going forward.  Right now, without any further evidence or witnesses, can we agree on what happened?  I don't think we can at this point.  And, can we now determine whether that behavior is legal going forward?   Well, once we know the actual truth, we maybe can but certainly we can't at this time.

I see Trump as trying to tilt the 2020 election playing field by soliciting help from foreign countries.  He continues to fall into this.  Told by George Stephanopoulos that the FBI says he shouldn't accept election aid from foreign countries, he claims the FBI is wrong.  There is no doubt in my mind that if the Ukraine scheme worked out for Trump, he would replay the scheme with other countries and with future opponents.

Who in the Republican Congress can control Trump's actions if and when he starts to get out of line or when he goes too far with his tweets?  Which Republicans consistently stand up to Trump?  I will tell you.....I can't think of any.  Sure, on various issues some have voiced occasional squeaky protestations but by and large, the Repubs in Congress have been bullied and clearly fear crossing Trump.

So, how do you think, if not by using impeachment inquiry, could the Dems keep Trump from repeating this scheme with future countries/candidates?  Nearly everyone blames House Dems for this impeachment saga.  I would suggest that if Congressional Republicans showed any ability to stand up to Trump's shady inclinations, there would be no impeachment happening right now.

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

The answer is, I want to know the truth.  What other investigations have you seen where people lobbied to not learn the truth?  Aside from not wanting to hear grisly details of violent attacks or accidents, I can't think where folks want to turn away from available case facts.  I suppose there are various legal issues with concealing facts from juries, but that is not what we have here.  In this case we have Bolton, a key player, that has information and claims to be willing to tell us all what he knows.

I want all of us to agree on what actually happened and whether or not that behavior is now legal going forward.  Right now, without any further evidence or witnesses, can we agree on what happened?  I don't think we can at this point.  And, can we now determine whether that behavior is legal going forward?   Well, once we know the actual truth, we maybe can but certainly we can't at this time.

I see Trump as trying to tilt the 2020 election playing field by soliciting help from foreign countries.  He continues to fall into this.  Told by George Stephanopoulos that the FBI says he shouldn't accept election aid from foreign countries, he clams the FBI is wrong.  There is no doubt in my mind that if the Ukraine scheme worked out for Trump, he would replay the scheme with other countries and with future opponents.

Who in the Republican Congress can control Trump's actions if and when he starts to get out of line or when he goes too far with his tweets?  Which Republicans consistently stand up to Trump?  I will tell you.....I can't think of any.  Sure, on various issues some have voiced occasional squeaky protestations but by and large, the Repubs in Congress have been bullied and clearly fear crossing Trump.

So, how do you think, if not by using impeachment inquiry, could the Dems keep Trump from repeating this scheme with future countries/candidates?  Nearly everyone blames House Dems for this impeachment saga.  I would suggest that if Congressional Republicans showed any ability to stand up to Trump's shady inclinations, there would be no impeachment happening right now.

Fast and Furious.  Eric Holder. Stop being a hypocrite.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Fast and Furious.  Eric Holder. Stop being a hypocrite.

Not being a hypocrite.  I said I couldn't think of a case and you pointed out where it apparently happened.  OK. 

I never paid attention to that issue back then.  I guess I had a life then.  I seem to recall the Republicans jumping up and down about a lot of things that seemed to, after investigation, turn out to be not much.  Again, I didn't pay very close attention then though so maybe I was wrong to think this a small issue.

So, Congressional Dems wanted to hide the truth?  OK, lets accept that for discussion purposes.  Do you think that hiding truth back then was appropriate?  If not, then do you think the hiding is appropriate now?  Is your position consistent ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Not being a hypocrite.  I said I couldn't think of a case and you pointed out where it apparently happened.  OK. 

I never paid attention to that issue back then.  I guess I had a life then.  I seem to recall the Republicans jumping up and down about a lot of things that seemed to, after investigation, turn out to be not much.  Again, I didn't pay very close attention then though so maybe I was wrong to think this a small issue.

So, Congressional Dems wanted to hide the truth?  OK, lets accept that for discussion purposes.  Do you think that hiding truth back then was appropriate?  If not, then do you think the hiding is appropriate now?  Is your position consistent ?

Did you think hiding was ok when the house ran there impeachment trial? Did you think that was wrong as well?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I dont think hiding the truth is appropriate then, now or in the future. 

To keep things contemporary are the Dems currently hiding the truth by sealing the testimony of Michael Atkinson? Is your position on Bolton AND Atkinson consistent?

• Like (+1) 3