The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

CNN, the Washintgon Post, the NYT, the LA Times, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, Politico, The Hill, USA Today, NPR, Vox, The Atlantic, and Bloomberg are all calling them "witnesses."

Who's gaslighting whom?

Fact witnesses and expert witnesses are both witnesses. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, it actually isn't.  The modern university system was built on military cooperation, so it's entirely accurate to call them a pillar of the nation on par with the military.

Probably not what he meant, though.

In design sure. 

In implementation no. 

Endowments and dark money funding the universities for decades has changed that equation mightily. 

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

I mean I was just quoting someone else when I said that it was a pillar on par with the military.  Not even an original idea or anything.  

Of course you were. Why have an original thought when you can show your deference to your betters by appealing to authority?

12 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

My wife did for her graduate degree. At least half of her classmates I’ve met are insufferable.

Hubby has a very "prestigious" education.  When we first started dating, my family thought he was a condescending snob. LOL  No one would call him that now. I think it is just what the Ivy League and "upper tier" graduate schools produce as it is so insular and moneyed. If you (generic "prestigious"-school -graduate "you") venture out into the real world, you mellow and expand. If you stay locked in an ivory tower away from deplorables, you don't grow, and pretty soon, you start believing your own bull####.  

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Of course you were. Why have an original thought when you can show your deference to your betters by appealing to authority?

Oh idk, because an original thought isn't always necessary as part of a supporting argument?  I mean I get the slight you're trying to send but... yeah lol.  

You go ahead and keep on thinking you are the one with all the answers while you try to portray the experts as holier-than-thou.  Oh boy.  

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hubby has a very "prestigious" education.  When we first started dating, my family thought he was condescending snob. LOL  No one would call him that now. I think it is just what the Ivy League and "upper tier" graduate schools produce as it is so insular and moneyed. If you (generic "prestigious"-school -graduate "you") venture out into the real world, you mellow and expand. If you stay locked in an ivory tower away from deplorables, you don't grow, and pretty soon, you start believing your own bull####.  

Which is why hundreds a year are directly funneled into the government leviathan before ever stepping foot in the real world. 

That's how you build an establishment political class of bureaucrats who think they, not the President, should be in charge because they went to Harvard.

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

Oh idk, because an original thought isn't always necessary as part of a supporting argument?  I mean I get the slight you're trying to send but... yeah lol.  

You go ahead and keep on thinking you are the one with all the answers while you try to portray the experts as holier-than-thou.  Oh boy.  

You misunderstand me completely if you think my position is that I have all the answers. It's quite the opposite. The only thing I know for certain is that I do not know everything. 

That causes me to question things more than most, and look deeper. 

We are, right now, in an information war. It's global, it's bigger and more invasive than any that has come before it. The position you're advocating for is one of laziness and only assures your own ignorance. Outsourcing your own freethinking to your "betters" because of where they went to school is how you assure that you stay a debt slave for life. Just trying to get you to open your eyes, bud. :beer: 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

stay a debt slave for life

Another topic for another time and one I think we'd share a lot of common ground on.  I gotta run to lunch with the old man but either way it's always nice chatting back and forth.  

You have a good one (and same to everyone else).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hubby has a very "prestigious" education.  When we first started dating, my family thought he was condescending snob. LOL  No one would call him that now. I think it is just what the Ivy League and "upper tier" graduate schools produce as it is so insular and moneyed. If you (generic "prestigious"-school -graduate "you") venture out into the real world, you mellow and expand. If you stay locked in an ivory tower away from deplorables, you don't grow, and pretty soon, you start believing your own bull####.  

I generally agree, but these were graduate students who had supposedly already spent time in the “real world.”  

54 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Everyone knows the 4 witnesses were not fact witnesses. 

A medical examiner called to the stand in a murder case is not a fact witness.

Why is the right gaslighting the public with this lame narrative?

13 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Fact witnesses and expert witnesses are both witnesses. 

Make up your ***** mind.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

Another topic for another time and one I think we'd share a lot of common ground on.  I gotta run to lunch with the old man but either way it's always nice chatting back and forth.  

You have a good one (and same to everyone else).  

:beer: 

(I really wasn't trying to insult you, my dude, just early morning commuting and texting. I always appreciate your participation)

13 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

I generally agree, but these were graduate students who had supposedly already spent time in the “real world.”  

Depends on the "real world" job in those two years, I guess.  And then they head back to school for reimmersion. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

14 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

<snip> The only thing I know for certain is that I do not know everything. 

That causes me to question things more than most, and look deeper. 

<snip>

Dammit, you're Socrates?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Uncle Joe said:

Dammit, you're Socrates?

I did a past life regression once for my day job (research about scammers for a comedy) -- I was REALLY banking on having that be one of my past lives, even tried to lead the person doing the reading down that path... 

But it turns out I was just a farmer in Indonesia who drown in a river. :lol: 

I wanted my money back. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I did a past life regression once for my day job (research about scammers for a comedy) -- I was REALLY banking on having that be one of my past lives, even tried to lead the person doing the reading down that path... 

But it turns out I was just a farmer in Indonesia who drown in a river. :lol: 

I KNEW it!

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Capco said:

If we need to have a conversation about reforming parts of higher education, that's fine.  But what we're seeing instead is a wholesale dismantling of the respect and trust in that institution.  That's what should alarm you.  

Part of the problem with all of this higher ed issue is the ridiculous belief that simply 'being from Harvard' or 'being from Yale' etc. immediately means you are intelligent and must be considered an authority on whatever topic that Harvard or Yale graduate is speaking about.

That's simply not the case, and the degree does not grant them immediate classification of intelligence. It simply grants them a better opportunity to prove they are intelligent. People like Warren and Obama prove this on a regular basis every time they open their Ivy League mouths. They're not near as smart as we're supposed to believe they are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Capco said:

"Never before, in the history of the republic, have we been forced to consider the conduct of a president who appears to have solicited personal, political favors from a foreign government."

Is it that Trump supporters simply think the above is bogus/hot air?  Or do they just not care and turn a blind eye even if they think he did do what he is being accused of, perhaps by citing other presidents who they think did the same or worse?  

I'd hope it's mostly the former.  

They don't care.