Defending our decision to draft Josh ?? really

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Legit football conversation relevant to the Bills, so still open, but be aware the OP link has been said to contain malware it tried to install on a member's computer.

Click at your own risk.

Do you all think it was a  mistake for Bears to take Trubisky? If not, then it wasn't a "mistake" for the Bills to pass on Mahomes, Watson, Jackson. 

Think about how you feel about the Trubisky pick for a more unbiased opinion. 

Just now, Dante said:

Like has happened to all running QB's in the past. They have early success and everyone goes crazy over them. They all either get figured out and have to become a qb instead of a rb or they get injured. Even Cam failed when he had to be a qb. Long term I will take Josh every time. More of a Favre/Rodgers type not a Kordell Stewart. 

Josh isn't a running Quarterback? Lamar doesn't have the most passing TDs in the league?

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Big difference between running because your not making your reads or not throwing a pass that you should and designed runs. Lets not get confused. Lamar Jackson is running designed runs and making reads throwing the ball. Josh last year was having a hard time and relying on his athletic ability. 

Last year Josh had to make the best of what he had / to work with , 

what about all this talk about 

ITS THE PASSING LEAGUE ??

so we all agree that you can still win in this league by running the ball WELL and playing good defense ? 

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Do you all think it was a  mistake for Bears to take Trubisky? If not, then it wasn't a "mistake" for the Bills to pass on Mahomes, Watson, Jackson. 

Think about how you feel about the Trubisky pick for a more unbiased opinion. 

Josh isn't a running Quarterback? Lamar doesn't have the most passing TDs in the league?

I don't think Josh is.He is a qb that can run if needed. Lamar's is a rb first qb second that runs a college offense. He get's 100 yds passing a game. When the primary threat of his run game gets controlled we will see how good a qb he really is. I mean, it's all personal taste. I never have like running qbs because they simply don't win. I will take a field general that distributes the ball within a system every time. 

Just now, Dante said:

I don't think Josh is.He is a qb that can run if needed. Lamar's is a rb first qb second that runs a college offense. He get's 100 yds passing a game. When the primary threat of his run game gets controlled we will see how good a qb he really is. I mean, it's all personal taste. I never have like running qbs because they simply don't win. I will take a field general that distributes the ball within a system every time. 

Yeah, in a rainstorm, in a win. Funny how when Josh gets criticized for poor play or low production in a win you and others will point to the scoreboard or Bills record. Try and be consistent in your analysis.

You conveniently skipped over my comment about Lamar leading the league in pass TD. How do you fit that into your skewed homer view ?

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Yeah, in a rainstorm, in a win. Funny how when Josh gets criticized for poor play or low production in a win you and others will point to the scoreboard or Bills record. Try and be consistent in your analysis.

You conveniently skipped over my comment about Lamar leading the league in pass TD. How do you fit that into your skewed homer view ?

Not a homer. Thread just happens to be about Josh. It could be about Mahommes, hell Kirk Cousins,  I would say the same thing. It's great Lamar has the most td's. I feel, imho, that he won't be able to sustain once the college rpo game is solved and by next season it will be. Just like every other running qb base offense has been before it. That's all. I get it. It's hard to argue with results today but I still would never trade Josh for him considering long term. 

32 minutes ago, Putin said:

Last year Josh had to make the best of what he had / to work with , 

what about all this talk about 

ITS THE PASSING LEAGUE ??

so we all agree that you can still win in this league by running the ball WELL and playing good defense ? 

Have you played QB or coached QB's? Josh last year was clearly a QB having trouble with the speed of the game. Luckily for Josh he is a tremendous athlete which helped offset that to some degree. The point is that is not desirable and not going to lead to long term success. Hence this year he is much improved on and his running numbers are down. Lamar has success running the ball by design. There is no desire for him to run less because he is ditching the pocket. Two different things. 

You can win with a balanced attack and good defense. At some point you will need to throw the ball. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

Unless we had Roman as OC Lamar would not look like he does with Baltimore. 

Lamar is a better passer and a better runner than Josh.  Why couldn't Lamar run our offense?

Lamar throws at a higher completion percentage and QB rate than Josh and has thrown 9 more TDs and 3 less picks than Josh.

Lamar's not just a great running QB, he is also an excellent passer.  He passes on average 28 times per game at a high level.

Personally I would trade Josh for any of the other 3 we passed on, Mahommes, Watson, or Lamar.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Lamar is a better passer and a better runner than Josh.  Why couldn't Lamar run our offense?

Lamar throws at a higher completion percentage and QB rate than Josh and has thrown 9 more TDs and 3 less picks than Josh.

Lamar's not just a great running QB, he is also an excellent passer.  He passes on average 28 times per game at a high level.

Personally I would trade Josh for any of the other 3 we passed on, Mahommes, Watson, or Lamar.

Are you seriously asking these questions?

Look again at how Lamar did at the end of last season in Baltimore, running an offense that was not designed for him.

Yes, Lamar is a better runner than Josh.  Far better.  As his own LT said "in my opinion he's a generational talent as a runner"

Yes, Lamar has a good arm and can pass well, but he's doing it in the context of the offense installed for him.   Last year, when he was plugged into a conventional offense, he had a similar completion percentage and averaged 75 YPG.  Would he succeed eventually in that system, yes, I believe he would, but he wouldn't be leading the MVP convo this year.

It wouldn't have been a wrong decision to draft any of the three you mention, but Lamar in particular at this point is producing the performance he is producing in a specific system.  Don't have that system, don't expect the same results.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Most Bills fans are just happy we didnt pick a bust like Rosen or someone. To say you wish we picked anyone else would almost come off as unappreciative of what we have and after so many failed attempts at replacing Jim Kelly, not many of us want to be unappreciative. I mean we sit here in early December with a realistic shot at the Division and a 97% chance to make the playoffs. This is the best situation we've been in in over 20 years.  We arent about to sit back and complain about our QB.

Now with that said, there are many who, in a redraft, would still pick Josh over Lamar simply because they  don't prefer his HEAVY running style and think he wont have longevity, which history has proven the odds are in that favor. Anyone who, with a do-over, would still trade that pick to KC and not select Mahomes, is being plain foolish. However, it's not foolish to refuse to admit it. There is simply no point in discussing such hypotheticals. We selected Josh to be the guy, he is a winner with plenty room to grow and we are happy.

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

WARNING: One user below claims this website attempted to install Malware on his computer.  Click the link below at your OWN RISK

https://clutchpoints.com/sean-mcdermott-defends-bills-picking-josh-allen-over-lamar-jackson/

On the topic of anyone and everyone who can write a horrible article these days 

So now we have to defend our choice for passing on Lamar?

"A glaring error of not picking Lamar hangs above our heads"

Sorry I don't even think twice about having Lamar instead of Josh. I think both QB's are where they are supposed to be. 

I don't even think about Lamar, Josh is our QB and will be long after Jackson is done.

• Like (+1) 1

Between Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, and Deshaun... Josh is by far the most intelligent. You win over the long haul in the NFL with your brain. I have more confidence in Allen to figure out how to beat the cream of the crop defensive gameplans you see in the playoffs than the other guys.

5 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Between Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, and Deshaun... Josh is by far the most intelligent. You win over the long haul in the NFL with your brain. I have more confidence in Allen to figure out how to beat the cream of the crop defensive gameplans you see in the playoffs than the other guys.

Agreed. While Allen is far from where he needs to be, all of his shortcomings are teachable. 

16 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

How can you say Josh is by far the most intelligent? Please dont say his wonderlic score.