Defending our decision to draft Josh ?? really

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Legit football conversation relevant to the Bills, so still open, but be aware the OP link has been said to contain malware it tried to install on a member's computer.

Click at your own risk.

Before the draft, people were talking up Rosen.  If he ended up lighting it up, we could discuss potential mistakes.  Someone many draft experts thought was better was passed over.  However, precious few people tagged Lamar as a star prospect.  We took Allen over a qb many considered worse.  Since McBeane did not have a crystal ball, no, this could not be called a mistake in any sense.  That being said, I'm still happier with Allen.

54 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

https://clutchpoints.com/sean-mcdermott-defends-bills-picking-josh-allen-over-lamar-jackson/

On the topic of anyone and everyone who can write a horrible article these days 

So now we have to defend our choice for passing on Lamar?

"A glaring error of not picking Lamar hangs above our heads"

Sorry I don't even think twice about having Lamar instead of Josh. I think both QB's are where they are supposed to be. 

What ????

If we had to do the draft all over again knowing what we know NOW I would STILL take Josh over EVERY QB in that draft !!!!

And like Tiger J said clutch point can go and stuff it 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the Aaron Maybin pick to me....

I still think this is a worse pick than Mike Williams.

Williams at least had the talent to live up to his selection, just super lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it me or do sports writers in general just seem to be dumb as rocks?  I mean these guys are paid to write about football and yet they seem more ignorant about the sport then a fan that chugged a fifth of whiskey and jumped through a table into a cook fire!

A couple of points that this guy might consider before writing something so stupid:

*  Unless there is evidence that McD & Bean were willing to completely remake their offense into one that suited Jackson's special skill set this entire discussion is a moot point.  And for the record I am aware of no such plans by the Bills.  Had the Bill's traded down to take Jackson later in the draft they would have made the same mistake that every other NFL team not named Baltimore would have made:  tried to have Jackson run less and throw more from the pocket. 

Give the Ravens & Harbaugh all the credit in the world for seeing what was possible with Jackson and doing what needed to be done to make it happen.  But pretending that teams ahead of the Raven's could have drafted LJ and had the same production is ignorant.

*  The Bills passed on Marino to draft Kelly.  Both teams were more then happy with their QB choice.  To argue that the Bills regret passing on Jackson in favor of Allen is along the same lines.  It's dumb and doesn't leave open the real possibility that both QB's will excel for their teams over their careers.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Wouldn't be sweet if Lamar just had one of those bad days that everyone has every now and then.

It would be even better if it was the Bills' D who forced him into that day by confusing him in the passing game and hemming him in in the run game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

https://clutchpoints.com/sean-mcdermott-defends-bills-picking-josh-allen-over-lamar-jackson/

On the topic of anyone and everyone who can write a horrible article these days 

So now we have to defend our choice for passing on Lamar?

"A glaring error of not picking Lamar hangs above our heads"

Sorry I don't even think twice about having Lamar instead of Josh. I think both QB's are where they are supposed to be. 

Ooh, ooh, don't forget Mahomes and Watson too!!! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Bufflow4 said:

When all is said and done, Josh will be the best of the 2017 2018 QB draft class

Fify

• Like (+1) 1

When all is said and done 10 -15 years from now LJ  will not even be in the conversation.  For all of you sports card collectors don't waste your money buying Jackson's rookie cards load up on Josh Allen. Just sayin

Edited by ALLEN1QB

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

I like Jackson, he is the combination of RGIII's size and speed with Tyrod Taylor's arm.  Plus he is with Greg Roman, and we all know what offense he ran with Tyrod.  The same one he is running in Baltimore.  It works, and although he doesn't have TT's arm talent, Jackson is an even better athlete than TT.   So that's that.

Defenses will figure out and pen in Jackson, just as they did RGIII and Tyrod . Or he will get blown up like RGIII did. Then,either way he will have to play from the pocket, which he doesn't have the arm talent to succeed, similar to Vick. 

I don't see Jackson lasting long, but he will be amazing and exciting to watch in the meantime, just as TT and RGIII were.  

Josh is more of the type of player who will have a long career in the NFL.   Big, tall , strong , big arm, can play in the pocket all day if he has to. 

McBeanes made the right choice in the draft.   again. 

Trust the Process.

Lamar = 2012 Colin Kaepernick, who also ran a Greg Roman offense.. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I like Jackson, he is the combination of RGIII's size and speed with Tyrod Taylor's arm.  Plus he is with Greg Roman, and we all know what offense he ran with Tyrod.  The same one he is running in Baltimore.  It works, and although he doesn't have TT's arm talent, Jackson is an even better athlete than TT.   So that's that.

Defenses will figure out and pen in Jackson, just as they did RGIII and Tyrod . Or he will get blown up like RGIII did. Then,either way he will have to play from the pocket, which he doesn't have the arm talent to succeed, similar to Vick. 

I don't see Jackson lasting long, but he will be amazing and exciting to watch in the meantime, just as TT and RGIII were.  

Josh is more of the type of player who will have a long career in the NFL.   Big, tall , strong , big arm, can play in the pocket all day if he has to. 

Trust the Process.

LJ has a strong arm.

Last year Josh was running out of his mind , I know he had at least 2 games where he had over 100 yards rushing, and there were few close to a 100 , and correct me if I’m wrong he was criticized by everyone including our own idiots on WRG , cuz all I’ve heard was THIS IS THE PASSING LEAGUE , and that a QB has to be able to throw the ball from the pocket ,  and how running game / and good defense is sooooo 1970’s !!!!

Trust the Process.

I couldn’t agree MORE !!!!!

Yep. The Bills made a huge mistake drafting Allen. Someone needs to take the blame and fall on the sword for drafting a qb that only has a 9-3 record this year, the most rushing td's this season by a qb, appears to be a great leader and teammate, is progressing every game/learning from the bad games, and plays to win.

Huge blunder McDermott......

Edited by loyal2dagame
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Last year Josh was running out of his mind , I know he had at least 2 games where he had over 100 yards rushing, and there were few close to a 100 , and correct me if I’m wrong he was criticized by everyone including our own idiots on WRG , cuz all I’ve heard was THIS IS THE PASSING LEAGUE , and that a QB has to be able to throw the ball from the pocket ,  and how running game / and good defense is sooooo 1970’s !!!!

I couldn’t agree MORE !!!!!

Big difference between running because your not making your reads or not throwing a pass that you should and designed runs. Lets not get confused. Lamar Jackson is running designed runs and making reads throwing the ball. Josh last year was having a hard time and relying on his athletic ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Trust the Process.

I agree with good chance he doesn't last long either due to injury or teams figuring him out.  Was a bit surprised that you think he has a weaker arm even than TT??  and I thought that was the biggest knock on  TT, a weak arm. 

man, if the Bills are supposed to regret passing on Jackson, how are the Dolphins, Jets, and Cardinals supposed to feel???  Or how should the Pats*** feel for thinking Brady would last forever and not taking Jackson??

in all seriousness, I'd rather have Josh. He fits our offense better.  And I think Jackson is a better fit for the Balt offense.  

Edited by RyanC883

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Trust the Process.

Like has happened to all running QB's in the past. They have early success and everyone goes crazy over them. They all either get figured out and have to become a qb instead of a rb or they get injured. Even Cam failed when he had to be a qb. Long term I will take Josh every time. More of a Favre/Rodgers type not a Kordell Stewart.