How To Stop The Ravens

Dr.Sack

Will Lamar Jackson Pass 24 or more times?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lamar Jackson Pass 24 or more times?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will The Bills Keep Jackson under 70 yards rushing?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Josh Allen complete 60% or more of his passes?

• Yes
    • No

Here is how the Bills take down the Ravens. Mother nature won't be on our side as game time temps will be around 41-44F, and the wind is expected to be around 15mph coming from the south with only a 10% chance of precipitation. This won't be a rain soaked nor'easter game Baltimore played last week which helped slow the Ravens fast-pace run heavy offense. 

• Counting his playoff game Lamar is 12-0 we he rushes over 70 yards. Lamar is 4-4 when he rushed 69 yards or less. 
  • Lamar is 6-4 when he attempts 24 or more passes. Lamar is 10-0 when he attempts 23 or less passes. 
  • Josh Allen is 11-0 as a starter when his completion percentage is 60% or higher. Josh Allen is 3-10 when his completion percentage dips below 60%. 
  • Josh Allen is 10-3 as a starter he scores a rushing TD, 4-7 when he doesn't. Josh Allen is 13-4 when he passes for a TD, 1-6 when he doesn't. 

If I'm McDermott I commit all resources to stopping the Ravens running attack. Make sure Jackson and Ingram are shut down. Hit them, and swarm to the ball. This is what Belichick told the Giants defense before Super Bowl XXV; "We win if Thurman runs for over 100 yards." The idea being he wanted to invite the Bills to run slowing down the K-Gun no-huddle offense. Belichick deployed a 3 man front with as many as 8 defense backs to frustrate and slow our offense. 

The Bills must use the same philosophy this week, except with the idea, "we win if we force Jackson to pass 24 or more times". The Bills will need to crowd the line of scrimmage and put their corners on an island daring Jackson to pass in what hopefully is a swirling wind. The first team to stop Jackson was the Chargers in their playoff matchup last season. They deployed a 7 defensive back strategy to confuse the Ravens and have the speed to track Jackson. The Ravens have developed counters to this using large 3 TE sets, and a heavy dose running to get teams out of this defensive alignment.

The Ravens loaded up on TEs and deploy a lot of play action - with their TEs feigning run blocks and slipping out to the 2nd level unguarded. Our D saw this last week on Witten's redzone TD grab. The tactics to counter this is simply man play recognition, and using more d-linemen set wide to swarm into the TEs to make them commit to blocking. This will look a lot like the Bears 46-defense - 8 men in the box, mixing in bigger personnel aligned in new fronts to crowd the line of scrimmage. Old school offense will meet old school defense this week. 

We have a running game machine coming to town. 208 yards per game on average. Looking at the Ravens two losses to Cleveland and Kansas City they kept close in the running game metric. The best blue print though was in how Pittsburgh handled the Ravens in a close 23-26 OT loss. Interestingly had the Steelers pulled off this upset it would have dropped the Ravens to 2-3 on the season and handed them their 3rd consecutive loss. The Steelers limited the Ravens to less total offensive yards on a better weather day than the vaunted 49ers defense, albeit the Steelers were at home. 

For our offense it's simple. Run an efficient offense, stay committed to the run, and take advantage of Ravens rush defense. 

We win if Allen plays an efficient game 60% completion percentage, and gets us into the end zone and doesn't turn this in a FG battle, where we know Tucker is miles ahead of House Money. McDermott has to show a willingness to go for it on 4th down and not fear giving the Ravens a short field. The ultimate goal is keeping the Ravens out of the end zone and keeping their offense off the field which will result in more Jackson passes. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hit Jackson as much as possible. This might be a game we want to take a couple roughing penalties. Don't play dirty, but make Jackson pay for leaving the pocket.

Don't worry about the running backs or misdirection with the handoffs. Just assume Jackson is getting it and hit him. I think we win if the running backs get the majority of their yards and we hold Jackson (as you also mentioned) to as little rushing yards as possible. I just don't think he can get it done if he is forced to stay in the pocket and throw.

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano and Taron Johnson are the keys to this game. They need to take the TE and slot guys out of the game and limit Lamar if he decides to run.

Maybe we should line up White against Andrews? to take away Lamar's favorite target. 

I think you stop the Ravens by containing the run. You allow TreDavious White to play 1 on 1 and you give the other guys help. Force Lamar to beat us with his arm. We have a decent secondary. The occasional DB blitz may pay dividends as well as Jackson’s speed may be mitigated on some level. We need to clog up running lanes and just force their running attack outside.

19 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

I think you stop the Ravens by containing the run. You allow TreDavious White to play 1 on 1 and you give the other guys help. Force Lamar to beat us with his arm. We have a decent secondary. The occasional DB blitz may pay dividends as well as Jackson’s speed may be mitigated on some level. We need to clog up running lanes and just force their running attack outside.

I agree that forcing Lamar to pass is a path to success, yet think also important to stop Ingram from running. As I don't mind if Lamar runs because he can't run all day and win. Essentially leave the game in Lamar's hands and stop his TEs and Ingram and think you can stop the Ravens.

Edited by The Jokeman

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe we should line up White against Andrews? to take away Lamar's favorite target. 

I think Milano or Tremaine can handle Andrews. Tre White and DBs have to watch out for Hollywood Brown going deep. 

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree that forcing Lamar to pass is a path to success, yet think also important to stop Ingram from running. As I don't mind if Lamar runs because he can't run all day and win. Essentially leave the game in Lamar's hands and stop his TEs and Ingram and think you can stop the Ravens.

I heard Steve Tasker say that on the read-option play, we should be delivering a hit each & every time on Lamarr. I don't know if that is a good plan or not.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billykay said:

I heard Steve Tasker say that on the read-option play, we should be delivering a hit each & every time on Lamarr. I don't know if that is a good plan or not.

Yep.  Blow up the mesh point.  Hit Jackson everytime.