Best Football Play by Play Announcers

19 hours ago, Foxx said:

the 'traditional' lines are mostly blurred in today's world.

perhaps we need to cis-label them. :lol:

@DC Tom would be proud...

i don't give him much credit for telling us 3 times that "it will go to Edelman"

i think the ENTIRE UNIVERSE knows this outside of the DC of the team playing the Pats that day

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Kevin Harlan is far and away my favorite.  Especially on the radio...nobody paints a clearer picture than him.  I almost can see the action taking place in my mind as he is announcing it...

football and baseball are much better served by radio

and the NFL radio is usually local broadcasts that tell you the real inside stuff as well as formations and subs for every play

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Kevin Harlan is far and away my favorite.  Especially on the radio...nobody paints a clearer picture than him.  I almost can see the action taking place in my mind as he is announcing it...

He has a good voice - but i get a basketball vibe from it?  I dunno.  Nantz always seemed like football... even though he does golf and all these other things.  I dunno, nothing I'm saying/thinking on this topic is making any sense.

10 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Curt Gowdy and Al De Rogatis(sp) old time AFL on NBC.

I like Ian Eagle but I'm used to him from the Brooklyn Nets games and know what to expect.

Johnny Esaw

Ernie Afaganis

Don Wittman

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

Van Miller was so much classier and better

Van Miller was the quintessential announcer in that he called a great game that you could follow easily if you weren't watching the game, he was a homer but not an over the top homer (IMHO) and he was fungible - could call basketball, football, probably dog fights if asked to....

I always liked Pat Summerall and John Madden, even if Madden had to say, "BOOM!" and "Here's a guy..." 62 times a game.

Romo and Nantz are alright. I kinda like when Romo gets on a roll and just starts calling out every offensive play before it happens. Or he'll call out whatever options the offense has in that situation.

I kinda don't mind Buck and Aikman, but since they've covered more Thursday night games this year I've discovered that Aikman uses the same tropes for just about every game. At times he'll kinda trail off in the middle of saying something and you can tell he's trying to word it differently than he usually does but it comes out the same. 

How about all-time worst play-by-play and commentary guys?

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

Van Miller was the quintessential announcer in that he called a great game that you could follow easily if you weren't watching the game, he was a homer but not an over the top homer (IMHO) and he was fungible - could call basketball, football, probably dog fights if asked to....

it was an honour and privilege to listen to that man for so many years, great he got to call the Kelly years as a part of it.

55 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Enberg and Dierdorf

hands down

the worst of it is they snaked away the mic from the bests of all time in Curt Gowdy and Merlin Olsen

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND the reason RJ is so awesome:  Started in Radio!!! Old school.

...LMAO....RJ's instantaneous one liners are the bomb.com......watching a game one night and Miller makes a miraculous save.....immediately RJ says, " call a cop...call a cop....Miller just robbed him blind".....

33 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I'm surprised that so many people don't like Dan Fouts.  I think he's insightful and funny.  Seriously.

he's just another rambling ex-jock, he sure didn't perform as he demands the current generation do out there....  Phil Simms was the worst, pretending he was an above-average QB for his best seasons.

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Wow. I listen to Harlan the only picture I get in my mind is a mangled mesh of spaghetti players being called out for the wrong teams is a Harlan special "It's 85 that's Lee Smith"....... it was the Broncos number 85 Kevin. Oh well. 

He is brutal. Great voice. Dreadful commentator. 

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I always liked Pat Summerall and John Madden, even if Madden had to say, "BOOM!" and "Here's a guy..." 62 times a game.

Romo and Nantz are alright. I kinda like when Romo gets on a roll and just starts calling out every offensive play before it happens. Or he'll call out whatever options the offense has in that situation.

I kinda don't mind Buck and Aikman, but since they've covered more Thursday night games this year I've discovered that Aikman uses the same tropes for just about every game. At times he'll kinda trail off in the middle of saying something and you can tell he's trying to word it differently than he usually does but it comes out the same. 

Buck and Aikman are useful sleep aids for a part time insomniac like myself. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Another old time guy:  Vin Scully.  Guys like him and Enberg could call anything and make it sound great.  And even farther back an announcer who I don’t think ever got the credit he deserved: Chris Schenkel.  He did some football , and was smooth enough to make bowling exciting every Saturday.