Best Football Play by Play Announcers

14 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

In your opinion, who are or were the best play by play NFL announcers? The reason why I bring this topic up is because I think Al Michaels is the best and I can't wait to hear him call the Bills vs. Steelers Sunday night football game, it's been so long. 

Here's my list:

1. Al Michaels
2. Jim Nantz
3. Gus Johnson
4. Kevin Harlin
5. Mike Trico
6. Joe Buck
7. Marv Albert
8. Dan Hicks
9. Greg Gumbel
10. Chris Myers

Where's Murph on this list ????

6 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

“Across the painted numbers”

I don’t think ESPN would ever fire a crew mid-season. I’d look terrible. But I highly doubt Tessatore and Booger are back next year. They are the worst listen in all of sports (any sport).

No idea why they don’t have Steve Young doing the color commentary for those games. He is at the stadiums for the pre, half, and post game shows. He’s well spoken and explains the game well. Not sure who ESPN could bring in to do play by play. Honestly Mike Breen might be a good option (although he does mostly NBA for them).

Mike Breen is AWFUL! So punchable. "Puts it in!" "Baaaaaaang!"

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Congratulations on spelling Kevin Harlan's name correctly.  :wallbash:

I know. It's like one person misspelled it and then most everyone else followed suit. ? It ain't difficult!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Without having looked at any other posts in this thread......

1. Keith Jackson

2. Marv Albert

3. Howard Cosell

4. Dick Enberg

5. Jim Nantz

6. Ron Franklin

7. Pat Summerall

8. Charlie Jones

9. Kevin Harlan

10. Brent Musberger

no Bob Ufer, the King of Vocal Fry?

15 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Without having looked at any other posts in this thread......

1. Keith Jackson

2. Marv Albert

3. Howard Cosell

4. Dick Enberg

5. Jim Nantz

6. Ron Franklin

7. Pat Summerall

8. Charlie Jones

9. Kevin Harlan

10. Brent Musberger

I completely forgot about Mike Patrick.

I would put him at # 7 and move everyone down a notch. Sorry about that Brent, but you deserve an honorable mention.

Also like all the love being shown to Greg Papa, he is a great announcer.

A shout out to Skip Carey when Sunday Nitro was on TNT. He was a very good football play-by-play announcer. Showed he could do more than baseball.

Edited by Mark Vader

I can't tell you about past play by play guys like some of our older posters. 

I think the top 3 now are:

1 Al Michaels

2 Jim Nantz

3 Mike Tirico

I can't believe so much love for Kevin Harlan. He is absolutely brutal. He has a good voice. But my god his commentary is atrocious. 

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I like Romo too.

Romo is one of the color guys, not play by play.

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

... Im also a big fan of Kevin Burkhart? The former Mets guy. Not sure if he does Mets games anymore I don’t have SNY in Tennessee and I don’t watch the Mets much anymore. He’s a good play by play guy though 

right. Burkhardt is very under appreciated.

Edited by Foxx

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Romo is one of the color guys, not play by play.

I know.  I should have noted that.  I figure throw him in there.  Shut up the play by play and just let Romo talk.  Like @Buffalo_Gal said, sans the eye candy remark... NOT that there is anything wrong with that... ? LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they have given Romo license to talk the whole time if he wants, fortunately he has something useful to say

the 'traditional' lines are mostly blurred in today's world.

perhaps we need to cis-label them. :lol:

@DC Tom would be proud...

16 hours ago, eball said:

Nobody likes Musberger?  He can get a little corny but he paints a good picture of what you're watching...and he'll comment on the eye candy too.

After saying I don't hate any of them, I gotta admit, I have never liked Musberger...but that goes back to his days as the voice of the NBA, back when the Braves were still a thing.

20 minutes ago, SJ Bills backer said:

Collinsworth hates the bills and makes a large prodigious sucking sound - how dare you rate him #1

Not the first time I have heard/read this...but can you give one example of Collinsworth "hating" the Bills?  Personally, I think he is pretty solid...and I am not sure I have ever heard him talk about the Bills enough (at least in the last 20 years) to gauge that he "hates" them.  If he just pointed out that they weren't very good, chances are, he was right, in this century.  I really think the only announcer I have ever heard who had a bias against the Bills (and he admitted it later) was Steve Tasker, in his stint as a color commentator.