Best Football Play by Play Announcers

1 hour ago, eball said:

Nobody likes Musberger?  He can get a little corny but he paints a good picture of what you're watching...and he'll comment on the eye candy too.

Just came to add this.  From a standpoint of accurately describing what was happening, I always thought he was right at the top.  And for those who are annoyed by his exuberance on TV, check him out doing a game on radio.  He is far and away the best radio play by play guy out there.

Best:

Curt Gowdy was the best play by play for me in any sport

Merlin Olsen as color for the NFL

Harry Kalas for baseball, there isn't even second place

Worst:

Enberg

Diefdorf for color, it was a great time when he told us 8 times in about 15 minutes that a playoff game cannot end in a tie, what would we have done that night without that wisdom?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gomper said:

Greg Papa. Voice of the 49'ers. His work on the Ravens game last week was brilliant. 

I do like Papa.  Also, Sean Mcdonough.

Buffalo native Don Criqui was one of my all time favorites, especially for Notre Dame and AFC Central games.

Keith Jackson and Verne Lundquist for SEC games.  Lundquist also for golf.

Never been a fan of any Alberts or Gumbels.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

Hmm, I remember him saying "wait a minute" all too often.  Is it a TD or not?  WTH!

Dr. Ed Gusevitch (sp?) and the rest of the spotters suffered from failing vision.  That booth crew was together a long time.

Again an upvote for Eric Wood.  I find his colour and analysis much easier on the ears than Kelso.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

For the guys who mentioned Gus Johnson, to me he belongs on CBS doing March Madness.  It was a sad day for college basketball when he left to go to Fox.  

I like Kevin Harlan & I like Tesitorre.  Musberger & Jackson were also good.  I don't get why you guys complain announcers not making intelligent points & such.  I like guys that get excited & try to bring the emotion of the arena/stadium into your living room.  A guy like Pat Summerral was so boring.  

I will never forget NCAA Tournament BYU/Florida when Fredette was playing for the Cougars.  Cougars tied the game with about 20 seconds left on a Jimmer 3 & Johnson screams to len Elmore "if your BYU do you foul"  Elmore screams "Gus it is a tie game for Christ Sakes"   Not one of Gus' finer moments but no one brought the Madness like Gus Johnson.  He seems out of place at Fox.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gordio said:

For the guys who mentioned Gus Johnson, to me he belongs on CBS doing March Madness.  It was a sad day for college basketball when he left to go to Fox.  

I like Kevin Harlan & I like Tesitorre.  Musberger & Jackson were also good.  I don't get why you guys complain announcers not making intelligent points & such.  I like guys that get excited & try to bring the emotion of the arena/stadium into your living room.  A guy like Pat Summerral was so boring.  

I will never forget NCAA Tournament BYU/Florida when Fredette was playing for the Cougars.  Cougars tied the game with about 20 seconds left on a Jimmer 3 & Johnson screams to len Elmore "if your BYU do you foul"  Elmore screams "Gus it is a tie game for Christ Sakes"   Not one of Gus' finer moments but no one brought the Madness like Gus Johnson.  He seems out of place at Fox.  

Summeral and Madden droned on and put you to sleep imo. Neither captured the excitement of the moment and Maddens shtick got old pretty quick. I know many liked that duo, but to me they were among the worst to listen to. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 2

the worst are all Canadian pro sports announcers

they are trained to scream over anything at any time, i guess the producers believe fans won't stick around unless every second is the most exciting thing that ever happened

1 hour ago, gomper said:

Greg Papa. Voice of the 49'ers. His work on the Ravens game last week was brilliant. 

The amount of prep work he does for each game is amazing. He has an afternoon radio show where he essentially breaks down film on the radio of key plays and techniques. He makes it very digestible even over the radio.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

More nostalgia for me than anything. I grew up with him in the late 80s and 90s on ABC MNF. He has a good voice for it too. I like still seeing him around. Collinsworth as the colorman though really ruins the vibe these days.

Dan Fouts and Rich Gannon are idiots as well. 

• Like (+1) 1