Best Football Play by Play Announcers

In your opinion, who are or were the best play by play NFL announcers? The reason why I bring this topic up is because I think Al Michaels is the best and I can't wait to hear him call the Bills vs. Steelers Sunday night football game, it's been so long. 

Here's my list:

1. Al Michaels
2. Jim Nantz
3. Gus Johnson
4. Kevin Harlin
5. Mike Trico
6. Joe Buck
7. Marv Albert
8. Dan Hicks
9. Greg Gumbel
10. Chris Myers

• Like (+1) 3

I’m impressed! I watch football every weekend....and I couldn’t have named 10 if you gave me an hour. Like uniforms (unless it’s putrid throwbacks!), announcers are something I pay very little attention to. I like Romo as a color guy, and I guess I like Michaels and Nantz. The rest are just background noise unless I’m curious about something. 

I know others pay a lot of attention to them, I’m probably the anomaly. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m impressed! I watch football every weekend....and I couldn’t have named 10 if you gave me an hour. Like uniforms (unless it’s putrid throwbacks!), announcers are something I pay very little attention to. I like Romo as a color guy, and I guess I like Michaels and Nantz. The rest are just background noise unless I’m curious about something. 

I know others pay a lot of attention to them, I’m probably the anomaly. 

I like Romo too.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Al Michaels wouldn’t even crack my Top 5 anymore, although he’s still not bad by any means.

More nostalgia for me than anything. I grew up with him in the late 80s and 90s on ABC MNF. He has a good voice for it too. I like still seeing him around. Collinsworth as the colorman though really ruins the vibe these days.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I honestly turn the volume off when I watch the game. 

Watching football like a monk. I like it! It is kind of a sacred event lol. Really though, 90% of commentators rarely add anything of substance. Everyone will see this weekend when they hear " the wisdom" of dan fouts. 

Edited by Bferra13

Growing up in Steeler territory, Myron Cope always cracked me up when he would go all Hulk apoplectic and barely get an intelligible word out if the Steelers went sideways—I know he was color and not play by play, but always stood out as very “unique” in his delivery. 

I know this is not part of the topic, however I must voice my opinion on our own John Murphy. I can not listen to him, he tries too hard to make the good plays imaginative and he fails miserably. His touchdown calls are a failed try of announcing greatness at every try. He is a bad version of Jon Gurtler when he was the PBP for the Sabres till he was fired for the HOLY ZHITNIK call...LOL

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Halloween Land said:

In your opinion, who are or were the best play by play NFL announcers? The reason why I bring this topic up is because I think Al Michaels is the best and I can't wait to hear him call the Bills vs. Steelers Sunday night football game, it's been so long. 

Here's my list:

1. Al Michaels
2. Jim Nantz
3. Gus Johnson
4. Kevin Harlin
5. Mike Trico
6. Joe Buck
7. Marv Albert
8. Dan Hicks
9. Greg Gumbel
10. Chris Myers

Joe Buck? Joe Buck?

He is the WORST. Like Jean-Ralphio Saperstein wooooooorst announcer in the world.

• Like (+1) 2