A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

8 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

What about it "isn't a good look"...what does that mean?

How might it be taken? There was nothing derogatory about it. 

It isn't a good look because it's not necessary, and it's opening the door to a conversation thread that isn't beneficial- obviously. 

It can be taken as offensive, as it was. It shouldn't be, and I'm not personally upset he said that, but his job did suffer, and he did get backlash. So for the sake of his career, it would have been wise to leave it off.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. People should be able to consider how their words and actions affect others. On the other hand, people should also not go out of their way to find something offensive in other people's words and actions.

A good way I heard to look at this is there are people who find nothing offensive and think everything is manufactured outrage. More than likely, it’s because they might be racist.  Then there are the other people who find everything offensive and look to be outraged.

Most things tend to be in the middle and should be judged on a case by case basis.  Bill Polian suggesting that a heisman winning QB should be a wr reeks of something other than football.  This case is just a bad way of describing something and everyone will move on from in a day or two.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

A good way I heard to look at this is there are people who find nothing offensive and think everything is manufactured outrage. More than likely, it’s because they might be racist.  Then there are the other people who find everything offensive and look to be outraged.

Most things tend to be in the middle and should be judged on a case by case basis.  Bill Polian suggesting that a heisman winning QB should be a wr reeks of something other than football.  This case is just a bad way of describing something and everyone will move on from in a day or two.  

Agree. Too much of both ends of the spectrum going on.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is a good point. We as a society don't assess each situation for what it is. We like to label and explain away before we even know what we're referring to. We've traded the pursuit of truth with a passion to keep our framed version of reality un-impinged.

It's easy to cry "Old white man" when it comes to Polian, but I think the emphasis is on old, and not white. Lamar was a huge question mark at QB coming out, and it was no guarantee he'd be able to play the position. There was no question that he was a generational athlete. The idea of switching to WR can be pretty easily explained away as "he's too valuable not to use, but he's not going to be an NFL QB." Polian, and the old guard, couldn't see how a team could commit to the College based offense needed for Lamar to thrive. I don't know (unless I'm missing something of what was said) that his comments can be inferred as racist, more ignorant/dinosaur. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, WMDman said:

Stupid thing to say in today’s time

Yeah,  He was trying to make a sharp and unique observation...but in 2019 you can't say anything like that and not get shredded by the "gotcha" social media crowd and general media.   People have to really think about what they're going to say and write, before they spout off. 

20 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. People should be able to consider how their words and actions affect others. On the other hand, people should also not go out of their way to find something offensive in other people's words and actions.

I'm with you. The flip side of "going out of your way to find something offensive" though is to be so willfully obtuse that you can't understand how pointing out advantages of skin color in sports is moving awfully close to giving actual offense, and not just in terms of the oft-dismissed "PC/corporate culture." 

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is a good point. We as a society don't assess each situation for what it is. We like to label and explain away before we even know what we're referring to. We've traded the pursuit of truth with a passion to keep our framed version of reality un-impinged.

It's easy to cry "Old white man" when it comes to Polian, but I think the emphasis is on old, and not white. Lamar was a huge question mark at QB coming out, and it was no guarantee he'd be able to play the position. There was no question that he was a generational athlete. The idea of switching to WR can be pretty easily explained away as "he's too valuable not to use, but he's not going to be an NFL QB." Polian, and the old guard, couldn't see how a team could commit to the College based offense needed for Lamar to thrive. I don't know (unless I'm missing something of what was said) that his comments can be inferred as racist, more ignorant/dinosaur. 

That’s fair and I would assume Polian isn’t a racist but a guy “who is set in his ways.”  It would be interesting to see what he thought about Tebow as a draft prospect because he had way worse mechanics than Jackson though. 

That’s fair and I would assume Polian isn’t a racist but a guy “who is set in his ways.”  It would be interesting to see what he thought about Tebow as a draft prospect because he had way worse mechanics than Jackson though. 

It's a good perspective on that situation. It's kinda funny how that 2018 class worked out... You had the "old guard" who would traditionally draft a big, strong, huge armed freak like Allen, saying that a run first guy like Lamar can't succeed in the NFL. While you've got the new and enlighten group of analysts who were all about completion % and railing about how Josh would never be successful. They meet in the Middle with guys like Darnold and Rosen and now the two biggest question marks (Mayfield with his height kind of a weird outlier) seem to be the ones doing the best. 

Goes to show that, as with potentially racist/offensive comments or situations, everything in the human existance should be explored for it's reality, and not a projected reality based on past experiences. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

what's next?  a team specifically uses left footed punters to gain an advantage? 

That’s why Belichick liked lefties. Most punters are righties and a lefty can throw off a punt returner’s ability to read the ball.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/05/how-rookie-punter-jake-bailey-is-changing-the-patriots-kicking-and-punting-game/

No one that knows football thought that Tim Tebow could be an NFL QB. He was the poster child of QB that needs to convert to TE. He just wasn't willing to make that transition and that sent him out of the league shortly after.

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

No one that knows football thought that Tim Tebow could be an NFL QB. He was the poster child of QB that needs to convert to TE. He just wasn't willing to make that transition and that sent him out of the league shortly after.

Tebow's leadership and moxy made him worth a shot as a project because if you could fix what ailed him, you'd have a great QB. Same with Lamar- his Athleticism made him worth the risk. Same with Josh even. The things you can't teach, made it worth the risk that you'd find a way to teach the other things.

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

I'm with you. The flip side of "going out of your way to find something offensive" though is to be so willfully obtuse that you can't understand how pointing out advantages of skin color in sports is moving awfully close to giving actual offense, and not just in terms of the oft-dismissed "PC/corporate culture." 

I think we have to be careful at times in our indictments of people without a fair evaluation. In this particular instance, I don't believe he had any intention of being insensitive, uncaring, demeaning, or generally  racist in any way. That it might be taken offensively by some is a legitimate point; however, it is not the only point and shouldn't necessarily override every other consideration. 

I don't specifically remember Polian's stance; however, there were those that questioned his passing skills and suggested he move to TE

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

I don't want to have to suspend myself, but I see his point. 

I took it more to be the Ravens dark jerseys than anything to do with skin color...

Image result for baltimore ravens game qb

Ravens are wearing white jerseys on Sunday due to Kim's decision on the reds (to set the players off against a theoretical snowy background). 

Maybe a stroke of unplanned genius on Kim's part!

4 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Funny, I said darn near the same thing to my wife during the 49'ers game

I think what's being lost in all this is he may have a valid point, and the NFL ought to look at the impact of the Ravens uniform color. But because something that can't be changed got tossed in there (skin color), I doubt that will be reviewed.

31 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. Too much of both ends of the spectrum going on.

It's possible the % of people at the extremes is less than it has been in the past due to social awareness, however the extremes are louder than ever before.

Edited by BehindTheWoodshed

I hate racism.  No tolerance for it what so ever.  I’ve cut people out of my life over comments I’ve found racist.  

BUT:  Can someone please explain to me when acknowledging the skin tone color of a person became racist?  

I mean, it’s a fact that Lamar and other black athletes skin tone is closer to the color of the ball than a caucasian player.  Why is it racist to make a comment that involves acknowledging this as true?  

People act like it’s shameful to acknowledge African Americans have a darker skin tone.  Makes no sense.  

Facts:  Lamar has a dark complexion.  The ball is dark brown.  Ravens jerseys are dark.  

More facts:  Read option involves a QB concealing a potential handoff, entire point is to conceal the ball.  

More facts:  The RBs involved in this particular read option offense are also African American with similar skin tone to Lamar and also wearing dark colored jerseys. 

More facts:  Lamar is fast as ****.  Lamar is explosive.  

More facts:  Even the camera crew is constantly struggling to figure out which direction the ball is going on read options because it’s just a difficult play to follow, especially when a team executes it at a high level.

Put that all that together, and it’s not hard to see how a sports commentator might say something like he did.  It was clearly not said with a racist undertone.  

Its 100% logical to think it’s slightly more difficult to follow the ball in a concealed read option play when Ravens are wearing their black jerseys with Lamar running it than say Josh Allen running it while we are wearing our white Jerseys.  And the comment was complimenting Lamar by saying he’s so explosive that even a fraction of a hesitation to locate the ball will make it too late to stop him.  

Sorry this was not racist.  Just wasn’t.  I do agree, that he does need to be more aware of the over corrected society we live in now and should have used a little more sensitivity in how he phrased the statement.  But it wasn’t a blatant racist comment and he shouldn’t be condemned for it, especially with no history of something like this.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1