A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

It’s reverse racism. 

I don't think that term means what you think it means - and if it does and you're still using it, well ... that's too bad.

I don't think any rational person is trying to say the this comment about skin tone was a racist comment.  I think most rational people will agree that it was not meant to be offensive or demeaning in any way, shape or form.

I also don't think it's terribly difficult to understand why it simply not a good idea - as someone with a mic in front of him paid to speak to thousands of listeners - to "go there."  In a position like his, he'd be wise to stay away from politics, race, color and/or sexual orientation.  Even if a comment is harmless, if it falls into one of those categories, it's just inviting some radical idiot to make life miserable for the organization.

He should have known better and that's why he was suspended.  That's all it boils down to.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think that term means what you think it means - and if it does and you're still using it, well ... that's too bad.

I don't think any rational person is trying to say the this comment about skin tone was a racist comment.  I think most rational people will agree that it was not meant to be offensive or demeaning in any way, shape or form.

I also don't think it's terribly difficult to understand why it simply not a good idea - as someone with a mic in front of him paid to speak to thousands of listeners - to "go there."  In a position like his, he'd be wise to stay away from politics, race, color and/or sexual orientation.  Even if a comment is harmless, if it falls into one of those categories, it's just inviting some radical idiot to make life miserable for the organization.

He should have known better and that's why he was suspended.  That's all it boils down to.

I agree, but at the same time I also think it's sad that we all know what he said was not meant to be racist yet he still gets suspended. Our society is becoming very irrational. Or maybe it's not actual society, but corporate perception of society.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

I agree, but at the same time I also think it's sad that we all know what he said was not meant to be racist yet he still gets suspended. Our society is becoming very irrational. Or maybe it's not actual society, but corporate perception of society.

But that's my point.  I'm saying that he wasn't suspended for making a racist comment.  He was suspended for doing something stupid.  Think of it as "conduct detrimental to the team," or something like that.  It doesn't have to be illegal or offensive.  It just has to be something that puts the organization at risk.

Just now, Gugny said:

But that's my point.  I'm saying that he wasn't suspended for making a racist comment.  He was suspended for doing something stupid.  Think of it as "conduct detrimental to the team," or something like that.  It doesn't have to be illegal or offensive.  It just has to be something that puts the organization at risk.

I don't know if what he did should be considered stupid, but I guess that is subjective.

Well now, I guess they will have to suspend a black baseball commentator if he says the pitcher hides the baseball well because of his light skin.

If Harold Reynolds (forgive me if I got his name wrong as I don't follow baseball) says this.......................

Does he get held to the same standard? 

What's fair is fair.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well now, I guess they will have to suspend a black baseball commentator if he says the pitcher hides the baseball well because of his light skin.

If Harold Reynolds (forgive me if I got his name wrong as I don't follow baseball) says this.......................

Does he get held to the same standard? 

What's fair is fair.

Well, I think some people would say even if there is a double standard you (as a white commentator) should realize that there is one, if you don't, you're "stupid" or have done something "stupid" by not realizing it.

1 minute ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

Well, I think some people would say even if there is a double standard you (as a white commentator) should realize that there is one, if you don't, you're "stupid" or have done something "stupid" by not realizing it.

We have freedom of speak in this country and there was NOTHING racist in Ryan's comments and the 49ers showed NO BALLS by suspending him.

For once in today's sensitive society, the organization that hires someone needs to stand behind that person when said person says NOTHING wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ol' crybaby Tim Ryan was searching for a way to explain away the lackluster performance of what he thought was a vaunted 49ers defense and he pulled nonsense out of his race-centered bag of tricks, and then tried to mask it with other elements to give credence to his foolishness.

Didn't see Tim Ryan on the field one time, strapped up with a helmet for him to be able to speak so factually about poor visibility or ball location due to Lamar Jackson's 'dark skin'...but I did see a whole lot of Fred Warner.

Being that Lamar Jackson is "skilled" at play action fakes because of his 'dark skin' then shouldn't every Ravens opponent get lit up like a Christmas tree on an 11yd a pop average like the Rams did the week prior the 49ers game? 

I mean, the Patriots seemed to be pretty good at game-planning and holding Lamar Jackson to under a 4yd a carry average.

But then again, he wasn't wearing his dark tights for that home game. Smh

Way to discredit a possible actual skill, break it down, and reduce it to a mere advantage based on skin color, Silly Tim.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

We have freedom of speak in this country and there was NOTHING racist in Ryan's comments and the 49ers showed NO BALLS by suspending him.

For once in today's sensitive society, the organization that hires someone needs to stand behind that person when said person says NOTHING wrong.

Well, Ryan has a job to do, and his employers have the right to suspend him if they feel what he said was not what they want to promote. It's the same with Kaepernick. He certainly had the right to "speak" his mind, but his employers had a problem with the way he went about it on the football field in front of TV cameras, hence he's no longer in the league.  Corporations rule over free speech, chances are if you sign a contract to work for any corporation, they rule your actions, even outside of work these days. If a corporation doesn't like what you say at a family party on private property in your own home that makes in on social media, you can be terminated. Corporations rule our lives, and money rules corporations. 

Edited by BehindTheWoodshed
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

Well, Ryan has a job to do, and his employers have the right to suspend him if they feel what he said was not what they want to promote. It's the same with Kaepernick. He certainly had the right to "speak" his mind, but his employers had a problem with the way he went about it on the football field in front of TV cameras, hence he's no longer in the league.  Corporations rule over free speech, chances are if you sign a contract to work for any corporations, they rule your actions, even outside of work these days. If a corporation doesn't like what you say at a family party on private property in your own home that makes in on social media, you can be terminated. Corporations rule our lives, and money riles corporations. 

It is what it is.

Personally, I wouldn't have said it, but Ryan is PAID for his opinion and he made a point.

The thing is that the dingbat politicians and activists are going to want more and want Ryan's head now.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It is what it is.

Personally, I wouldn't have said it, but Ryan is PAID for his opinion and he made a point.

The thing is that the dingbat politicians and activists are going to want more and want Ryan's head now.

It's all about money.  If the 49ers feel like they are taking too much heat on social media, and feel this issue could lose them money, yes, they might feel the need to terminate the employee. It sucks, but if I owned a company, I would be looking out for the bottom line as well.

4 minutes ago, BehindTheWoodshed said:

It's all about money.  If the 49ers feel like they are taking too much heat on social media, and feel this issue could lose them money, yes, they might feel the need to terminate the employee. It sucks, but if I owned a company, I would be looking out for the bottom line as well.

It's the Niners right (like you said) and I bet Ryan is going to be unemployed very soon.

This whole thing could have been avoided if the NFL would just use Pink balls. Those Pink balls can be the Olive Branch the  league has so desperately needed. Of course the Pink Ribbon crowd may get offended if Pink is the new Balls color. 

Edited by thronethinker

Would it be okay for Josh to walk on the field Sunday with gloves that are the exact same color as the ball?   If that causes the Ravens defense to hesitate for a split second on every handoff or play action isn't that an advantage?   How soon until the Cheatriots* try this?

Man you guys may be joking about pink or multicolored balls but...now that you say it I am surprised the NFL hasn't done it. Pink for breast cancer, etc.

Plus it'd be like alternate unis...let them sell more crap.

Don't give them any ideas. We'll be watching fruit stripe football soon!

4 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Would it be okay for Josh to walk on the field Sunday with gloves that are the exact same color as the ball?   If that causes the Ravens defense to hesitate for a split second on every handoff or play action isn't that an advantage?   How soon until the Cheatriots* try this?

I dont think Tom Brady is running the option anytime soon. If so, id be all for it... ?

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

right this world is out of control.

Last year BB radio voice of the Hawkeyes Gary Dolphin was suspended by the school(Iowa) for stating an opposing black player went beast mode at the end and that's why Iowa lost.

I guess Marshawn Lynch never got the memo.

He was suspended for calling a player “King Kong.” And while, on the surface, this might appear to be an innocuous comment, when one considers the history in this country of black people being called “monkeys” or “gorillas” one might understand why a group of people might be sensitive to that sort of depiction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2865501-49ers-radio-broadcaster-tim-ryan-suspended-for-racist-lamar-jackson-comments.amp.html

11 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Using that rationale shouldn't EJ have had a more successful career playing with the Raiders wearing Black uniforms? Dumb thing to say!

When was Manuel ever a master at the read option like Jackson is?

Think before you post.