A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

3 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Did the broadcaster that was talking about a Dirty Sanchez get suspended just curious because that was pretty bad.

That shoulda got some discipline.  Holy Guacamole, if you don't know what something means, don't say it!  And especially don't say it on the air!

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I would love to hear current players takes on this. If it is a factor, you would have to assume it’s well known in lockerrooms?

It's a good question. 

I think successful professional football players are guys who take responsibility on themselves and are trained not to "make excuses"

I'm sure they're all aware that it's very difficult to see the ball, but I wonder if they reflect on "why is that?" or if they're just "I need to pay more attention"

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Tyrod Taylor even sucked on the Browns.  Damn!!!

Are you sure? Looked to me like he oddly sucked..

fyi, this thread is getting borderline tossed into PPP or shut down due to the desire of some to pontificate their politics. 

Refrain.

And I’m looking specifically at you, @ArtVandalay.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

What, they dress like ***** and then play like it? That’s working great for them! ;)

This whole thing is stupid. He shouldn’t have said that for his own sake- not cause it’s wrong, but cause it’s not a good look. What he said was factual, and not derogatory, some people will bend over backwards to find racism wherever they can. All that being equal, it sounds like he was discussing a legitimate football topic and said something silly without thinking through how it might be taken. If it’s in a bar with your best buddies, nobody thinks twice cause it isn’t about his race, it’s about the way the ball is viewed (or, not viewed) from the eyes of the defender. On radio, it’s gonna get some pushback. 

At the end of the day, Lamar has dark skin. He’s great at a play fake. Dark colors blend in better with dark colors. I’m glad they’re wearing white this weekend. 

What about it "isn't a good look"...what does that mean?

How might it be taken? There was nothing derogatory about it. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know the guy at all, but I’m almost positive it wasn’t mean spirited. Unfortunately, this is like playing with the third rail. You need to know not to go there, even if there is nothing negative intended. You are just opening yourself up to........this. 

Talk about the jersey and you’re fine. 

But "this" is NONSENSE.

It's surely some corporate pearl clutching, and something no rational person would give a crap about, black or white.

Part of "getting past racism" is getting past these ridiculous fake controversies.

Edited by 32ABBA

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If the ball was light colored, and it was Josh Allen he was talking about while he is wearing a white jersey would anyone be mad?

Why not say it? Lamar Jackson has dark skin. Is that a racist observation? Especially in the context he used that observation?

Hell no.

I agree.  This stuff gets ridiculous.  He was just stating a fact.  You just need to look at the picture posted above.  His skin tone is similar to that of the ball.  If it was a white QB, the ball would be easier to see.  

My first reaction to this was will this was will this distract the Ravens at all this Sunday because of how ridiculous the whole story is.  You have to be careful with what you say if you're a public figure but an apology would've sufficed as I saw no malice whatsoever in what he said.

Edited by Doc Brown

7 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If the ball was light colored, and it was Josh Allen he was talking about while he is wearing a white jersey would anyone be mad?

Why not say it? Lamar Jackson has dark skin. Is that a racist observation? Especially in the context he used that observation?

Hell no.

Yeeeesh. Just bad optics. 
Doesn’t offend me AT ALL 

but people are wayyyyyyyy too sensitive these days....and as a journalist you should know that if you are talking about someone’s skin colour, especially in the context of how it might be camouflaging the ball during play action....

just doesn’t look good. 

1 minute ago, Bakin said:

Yeeeesh. Just bad optics. 
Doesn’t offend me AT ALL 

but people are wayyyyyyyy too sensitive these days....and as a journalist you should know that if you are talking about someone’s skin colour, especially in the context of how it might be camouflaging the ball during play action....

just doesn’t look good. 

Bad optics because of the distorted eyes of the viewers.

Guerilla Tactics!

2 minutes ago, billsintaiwan said:

Bad optics because of the distorted eyes of the viewers.

Guerilla Tactics!

It’s reverse racism. 
if Tim Ryan were black and said that...he wouldn’t have been suspended.
Bet your bottom dollar.

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's it! The Bills need to switch to medium-brown uniforms, and Josh needs to dye his hands brown. 

I would think football-brown sleeves and gloves for a RPO QB and HB would be an advantage for them.

Paint a football in the belly of the team jerseys as a decoy?  ........maybe not.

To the people saying things to the effect of "these days you should know better" , I want to remind you that we are these days.

Does it offend you?  I mean really?  I don't see how it could, so stick up for his right to speak what he sees or we're all in trouble.

Shape and color create reality, we need to keep some things true.