A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Was it though? Sure, Lamar's skin tone is a pretty good match for a football, that's a fact. But did it really make a difference on the fakes, or was it mostly the jersey? Is he the first and only dark-skinned player to carry a football?

Is that why defenders have a tough time reacting to Singeltary? Or determining if McKenzie has the ball on the jet sweep? Or any other black player that runs fakes or carries the ball?

If your analyzing why the fake worked so well on Sunday, chalk it up to the uniforms and Jackson's amazing ball handling skills. Trying to tie it to his skin color is just lazy and inaccurate. Regardless if anyone was offended or not.

I agree with the rest of your take, just wanted to expand on that part a bit.

You can’t argue that the uniform aids the camouflaging of the ball and skin tone of the arm holding the ball doesn’t help as well. They’re both background objects on the ball, both creating contrast or blend. Maybe every black player does have a minuscule advantage over white players. I didn’t play enough football to answer that question- it’d Be interesting to hear actual football players comment on that.

That being said, he didn’t say that was why Lamar is so dangerous. He mentioned it as a part of a list of several things that inhibited the overall ability to see the ball. The rain and gloominess of the day were certainly one of the main factors (and Lamar’s insane skills with ball handling) but in the context of the background of a player affecting the visibility of the ball, then yes- it seems obvious that less contrast = less visibility. Again, who knows if that makes a practical difference.

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You can’t argue that the uniform aids the camouflaging of the ball and skin tone of the arm holding the ball doesn’t help as well. They’re both background objects on the ball, both creating contrast or blend. Maybe every black player does have a minuscule advantage over white players. I didn’t play enough football to answer that question- it’d Be interesting to hear actual football players comment on that.

That being said, he didn’t say that was why Lamar is so dangerous. He mentioned it as a part of a list of several things that inhibited the overall ability to see the ball. The rain and gloominess of the day were certainly one of the main factors (and Lamar’s insane skills with ball handling) but in the context of the background of a player affecting the visibility of the ball, then yes- it seems obvious that less contrast = less visibility. Again, who knows if that makes a practical difference.

I agree, I’d love to hear what players would say. I don’t want to go all Al Bundy sharing my feelings on the topic. I suspect they’d point to the jersey more than anything. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, I’d love to hear what players would say. I don’t want to go all Al Bundy sharing my feelings on the topic. I suspect they’d point to the jersey more than anything. 

Same. I doubt it does make much difference because (and this I do remember from playing) if you’re biting on the fake, it’s usually cause you want the ball to be going to the back- not cause you don’t see it. I wonder how many times guys just don’t see the ball vs. they see what they want to see... it’s an interesting question.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Stallions said:

The San Francisco 49ers have suspended broadcaster Tim Ryan for one game ... after the ex-NFLer said Lamar Jackson was successful at faking hand-offs because of "his dark skin."

Ryan -- who played with the Chicago Bears from 1990-93 before starting his commentary career -- went on a KNBR radio show to discuss the Niners' 20-17 loss to the Ravens and why the QB is so good. “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson," Ryan said. "But, when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing." “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision, forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

Good, I always thought he was a d-bag on Sirius with Pat Kirwan

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Exactly, Lamar still needs to be insanely talented and great at what he does for it to work, but disguising the optics of a ball is an added benefit -- just like how it's illegal for baseball pitchers to wear white sleeves and the batters eye needs to be a dark color at parks and places like Fenway are forced to put a dark tarp over the CF seats for day games.

Lamar is a great kid and super talented and i don't think anyone has questioned that. An innocent comment that is not derogatory in nature or intended to be and is purely just honest commentary on optics shouldn't be controversy.

I hope the game Sunday doesn't get dragged down by any nonsense.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

True, just thinking my high school didn’t have any background, and no one complained about my hand being white. I’m not offended by this guys comment, I just don’t think it makes as much sense as some people do. Skin tone and ball color isn’t generally a big topic in sports, it just seems silly and dumb imo. 

You’re not allowed to wear white sleeves as a pitcher because it is the same color as the ball.  The baseball and your hand are completely different colors....and the ball has red laces in which you can see as a hitter.  It’s very visible.

It’s not just Jackson’s skin tone.  It’s also a combination of the dark color Jersey. 

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Saying having dark skin is an advantage - is now offensive?   I thought saying it was a disadvantage was.  I can't keep up with what can and can't be said.

Agreed i mean boise cant wear blue on blue in there stadium in some games because of the advantage.

2 hours ago, Stallions said:

The San Francisco 49ers have suspended broadcaster Tim Ryan for one game ... after the ex-NFLer said Lamar Jackson was successful at faking hand-offs because of "his dark skin."

Ryan -- who played with the Chicago Bears from 1990-93 before starting his commentary career -- went on a KNBR radio show to discuss the Niners' 20-17 loss to the Ravens and why the QB is so good. “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson," Ryan said. "But, when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing." “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision, forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

Lets make sure they wear the ‘other’ jerseys in buffalo 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's all PC and things right now, but the league might want to look into those black color rush unis during night games in the rain...

Image result for san francisco baltimore ravens game qb

This is exactly the point that I feel mentioning skin color deflected from.

I think the competition committee should look into whether certain uniform colors do help camoflage the football.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the competition committee should look into whether certain uniform colors do help camoflage the football.

I would love to hear current players takes on this. If it is a factor, you would have to assume it’s well known in lockerrooms?

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Lol what? Simmer down? I calmly explained to you why that case would be appropriate to sue. 

Projecting what? That he has an appropriate case to sue for being publicly labeled a racist by his employer? 

I'm a bit lost on this with what you're saying. It feels like you are cobbling up some trendy phrases just because we disagree.

Simmer means you said " His reputation is going to be absolutely destroyed. He'll never make it to a high profile job. His career is toast. They basically labeled him and punished him as a racist. There's a tangible loss of earnings both current and future. Yes, you sure for that"

Yet none of those ills have accrued to the guy who got a 1 day suspension and made an apology over an insensitive comment.

Simmer down and wait until some of that does actually occur before projecting that it will occur.

In the meantime, if you want to project destroyed earnings, loss of profession and all that rest onto a 1 day suspension for an insensitive comment before any of that has actually gone down, as I said - PPP at your service.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

Agreed i mean boise cant wear blue on blue in there stadium in some games because of the advantage.

Still remember that crazy game where they had a guy lying down in the endzone - practically invisible - on a kickoff return, right?

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Might need to go to college style striped balls if teams are taking advantage.

Reading some of these comments remind me of just how insensitive many Bills fans can be regarding issues of race and color. Not saying this was some huge offense but even something small like this bring certain types out the woodwork.

Takes me back to how Bills fans treated Kaepernick THE worst during his protest days. Hundreds of shirts being worn suggesting he should be shot and killed for kneeling. Many won't admit or even aren't conscious of the fact that the real reason they were so upset was not the kneeling itself, but the reason he was kneeling for. If Kaep came out and said he is kneeling to protest and bring attention to the poor way war veterans are treated when they return to civilian life, there would have been almost ZERO national outrage. 

Something about racial wrongs being pointed out that ruffles a certain demographics feathers more than it should.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Usually summer down is said to someone upset or angry, not calmly expressing their point of view.

Usually a calm POV is expressed without hyperbole and over-the-top suggestions like "sue"  - Over a 1 day suspension?

58 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Your quoted statement does nothing other than support my previous statement. 

His character had been attacked publicly. His public reputation had been damaged.His future earnings rely on that reputation. His suspension damages his current earnings. It's pretty cut and dry how he is harmed from this both current abd future earnings, nevermind his personal reputation. It's not suing "for anything" he's losing a paycheck. His future employment is affected. These are tangible loses, not hurt feelings.

This is exactly what I mean.  I bet you don't even know if he was suspended without pay, do you?  You have no clue whether it will harm or enhance his future broadcast earnings.  Maybe he'll be seen as "edgy" and get ops he wouldn't otherwise.  No one has attacked his character - if you've seen that, you could, of course, provide evidence.  It is not at all cut and dry that he's been harmed in any prolonged sense.

Last call: since you have trouble parsing "simmer down"  I'll be more specific- stop making assertions about the vast harms accruing to this broadcaster's life, earnings and character without basis (eg links where in fact someone has called him a racist) or evidence (loss of pay, loss of job, etc). 

If you want to generally rant about this stuff, PPP is the place.

• Like (+1) 1