A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

1 hour ago, Stallions said:

The San Francisco 49ers have suspended broadcaster Tim Ryan for one game ... after the ex-NFLer said Lamar Jackson was successful at faking hand-offs because of "his dark skin."

Ryan -- who played with the Chicago Bears from 1990-93 before starting his commentary career -- went on a KNBR radio show to discuss the Niners' 20-17 loss to the Ravens and why the QB is so good. “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson," Ryan said. "But, when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing." “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision, forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

Yeah, that’s not gonna go over well.  Viewed abstractly, his point about contrast between the brown ball, black uniforms, and dark skin are probably a point relative to (say) Seasnakes dayglo green or Bills Blue or Red or White.  But putting the reference to skin color in there- ?  He could have made the same point probably in a less potentially offensive way by pointing out that the ball is easier to see when contrasted against white or light colored uniforms and perhaps the NFL competition committee should look at that aspect when approving the uniforms.  I would think the Cleveland Browns should be about the worst.

What color are the Poe-Birds wearing on Sunday?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that’s not gonna go over well.  Viewed abstractly, his point about contrast between the brown ball, black uniforms, and dark skin are probably a point relative to (say) Seasnakes dayglo green or Bills Blue or Red or White.  But putting the reference to skin color in there- ?  He could have made the same point probably in a less offensive way by pointing out that the ball is easier to see when contrasted against white or light colored uniforms and perhaps the NFL competition committee should look at that aspect when approving the uniforms.  I would think the Cleveland Browns should be about the worst.

Agree.  What I don't get is why people are offended. We live in a victimhood society.  If it's an advantage why the shame.  Wouldn't skin color and losing the contrast of the ball, ability to hide ball against dark jerseys be like a height advantage? Are people ashamed of a height advantage?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that’s not gonna go over well.  Viewed abstractly, his point about contrast between the brown ball, black uniforms, and dark skin are probably a point relative to (say) Seasnakes dayglo green or Bills Blue or Red or White.  But putting the reference to skin color in there- ?  He could have made the same point probably in a less potentially offensive way by pointing out that the ball is easier to see when contrasted against white or light colored uniforms and perhaps the NFL competition committee should look at that aspect when approving the uniforms.  I would think the Cleveland Browns should be about the worst.

@Locomark above said they’d be in white jerseys. For what it’s worth, I hope he’s right just because ANY little advantage will be needed. Real or imagined! I’ll take it. 

So the league that has rules about needing to interview a black candidate anytime you hire a coach with networks that continually promote statistics and successes of black quarterbacks are telling announcers not to comment on skin color of a player when it affects the effectiveness of a fake?

So if he wore black or brown sleeves to hide a ball that's okay to comment, but not the mention of his actual skin in combination with uniform in a way that's not negative or derogatory whatsoever. 

This guy should sue the crap out of everyone. What he said was not the least bit derogatory.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree.  What I don't get is why people are offended. We live in a victimhood society.  If it's an advantage why the shame.  Wouldn't skin color and losing the contrast of the ball, ability to hide ball against dark jerseys be like a height advantage? Are people ashamed of a height advantage?

Obviously I don’t have all the answers, but I think it’s because it’s felt that race is still being used to define the abilities of some players.  Lamar Jackson had pundits like Bill Polian opining that he should convert to WR or RB, and it’s not too long ago that it was pretty openly expressed that black guys like Doug Williams or Warren Moon couldn’t play QB. 

Against that relatively recent background, anything that appears to attribute to skin color, that which is undeniably skill in faking a ball handoff, is gonna go over like a wet fart in a crowded subway.

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

So the league that has rules about needing to interview a black candidate anytime you hire a coach with networks that continually promote statistics and successes of black quarterbacks are telling announcers not to comment on skin color of a player when it affects the effectiveness of a fake?

So if he wore black or brown sleeves to hide a ball that's okay to comment, but not the mention of his actual skin in combination with uniform in a way that's not negative or derogatory whatsoever. 

This guy should sue the crap out of everyone. What he said was not the least bit derogatory.

Oh, great, so we can add on the other keystone of our modern times, the opinion that anyone should sue for everything.  He was suspended for a day.  His best course of action is to say “I realize I could have made my point about color contrast in a much better way, I’m sorry for any offense”, go back to work, and move on.  It’s not worth sueing about

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obviously I don’t have all the answers, but I think it’s because it’s felt that race is still being used to define the abilities of some players.  Lamar Jackson had pundits like Bill Polian opining that he should convert to WR or RB, and it’s not too long ago that it was pretty openly expressed that black guys like Doug Williams or Warren Moon couldn’t play QB. 

Against that relatively recent background, anything that appears to attribute to skin color, that which is undeniably skill in faking a ball handoff, is gonna go over like a wet fart in a crowded subway.

Oh, great, so we can add on the other keystone of our modern times, the opinion that anyone should sue for everything.  He was suspended for a day.  His best course of action is to say “I realize I could have made my point about color contrast in a much better way, I’m sorry for any offense”, go back to work, and move on.  It’s not worth sueing about

Not worth suing about? In this society? His reputation is going to be absolutely destroyed. He'll never make it to a high profile job. His career is toast. They basically labeled him and punished him as a racist. There's a tangible loss of earnings both current and future. Yes, you sure for that 

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Not worth suing about? In this society? His reputation is going to be absolutely destroyed. He'll never make it to a high profile job. His career is toast. They basically labeled him and punished him as a racist. There's a tangible loss of earnings both current and future. Yes, you sure for that 

Simmer down, fella.  I think you’re projecting - a lot.  If you want to go further down this road, the PPP forum is entirely at your service.  

• Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Simmer down, fella.  I think you’re projecting - a lot.  If you want to go further down this road, the PPP forum is entirely at your service.  

Lol what? Simmer down? I calmly explained to you why that case would be appropriate to sue. 

Projecting what? That he has an appropriate case to sue for being publicly labeled a racist by his employer? 

I'm a bit lost on this with what you're saying. It feels like you are cobbling up some trendy phrases just because we disagree.

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Lol what? Simmer down? I calmly explained to you why that case would be appropriate to sue. 

Projecting what? That he has an appropriate case to sue for being publicly labeled a racist by his employer? 

I'm a bit lost on this with what you're saying. It feels like you are cobbling up some trendy phrases just because we disagree.

Simmer down because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's exactly what his employer has publicly said about him regarding all of this:

“We are disappointed in Tim Ryan’s comments earlier this week, and have suspended him for the upcoming game. We hold Tim to a high standard as a representative of our organization and he must be more thoughtful with his words. Tim has expressed remorse in a public statement and has also done so with us privately. We know Tim as a man of high integrity and are confident he will grow and learn from this experience. We have reached out to the Baltimore Ravens organization to extend our apologies and assure them the matter is not being taken lightly.” (Link)

They gave him a 1-day vacation, and he'll be back at work Monday, and everyone will move on. He has lost nothing.

edit: @Binghamton Beast, you see what I mean now with "This is America. People want to sue for anything."?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They gave him a 1-day vacation, and he'll be back at work Monday, and everyone will move on. He has lost nothing.

People are reacting as if the man was fired. Certain platforms require you to be more PC than others. I dont understand how anyone doesnt get how suggesting the color of someones skin is giving them an unfair advantage won't go over well....AS TRUE AS IT MAY BE. In his position, you cant say everything that comes to your head even if it makes great sense. If he worked for Bar Stool Sports he wouldnt have had to worry about a suspension. 

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, GG said:

Politics is what got him suspended.  

Again, the comment was about the combination of skin, uniform and football colors.   He didn't say it was only because Lamar was black.   

right this world is out of control.

Last year BB radio voice of the Hawkeyes Gary Dolphin was suspended by the school(Iowa) for stating an opposing black player went beast mode at the end and that's why Iowa lost.

I guess Marshawn Lynch never got the memo.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

That sure has worked for Cleveland, hasn't it...

What, they dress like ***** and then play like it? That’s working great for them! ;)

This whole thing is stupid. He shouldn’t have said that for his own sake- not cause it’s wrong, but cause it’s not a good look. What he said was factual, and not derogatory, some people will bend over backwards to find racism wherever they can. All that being equal, it sounds like he was discussing a legitimate football topic and said something silly without thinking through how it might be taken. If it’s in a bar with your best buddies, nobody thinks twice cause it isn’t about his race, it’s about the way the ball is viewed (or, not viewed) from the eyes of the defender. On radio, it’s gonna get some pushback. 

At the end of the day, Lamar has dark skin. He’s great at a play fake. Dark colors blend in better with dark colors. I’m glad they’re wearing white this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What, they dress like ***** and then play like it? That’s working great for them! ;)

This whole thing is stupid. He shouldn’t have said that for his own sake- not cause it’s wrong, but cause it’s not a good look. What he said was factual, and not derogatory, some people will bend over backwards to find racism wherever they can. All that being equal, it sounds like he was discussing a legitimate football topic and said something silly without thinking through how it might be taken. If it’s in a bar with your best buddies, nobody thinks twice cause it isn’t about his race, it’s about the way the ball is viewed (or, not viewed) from the eyes of the defender. On radio, it’s gonna get some pushback. 

At the end of the day, Lamar has dark skin. He’s great at a play fake. Dark colors blend in better with dark colors. I’m glad they’re wearing white this weekend. 

Was it though? Sure, Lamar's skin tone is a pretty good match for a football, that's a fact. But did it really make a difference on the fakes, or was it mostly the jersey and athleticism? Is he the first and only dark-skinned player to carry a football?

Is that why defenders have a tough time reacting to Singeltary? Or determining if McKenzie has the ball on the jet sweep? Or any other black player that runs fakes or carries the ball?

If analyzing why the fake worked so well on Sunday, chalk it up to the uniforms and Jackson's amazing ball handling skills. Trying to tie it to his skin color is just lazy and inaccurate. Regardless if anyone was offended or not.

I agree with the rest of your take, just wanted to expand on that part a bit.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Simmer down because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's exactly what his employer has publicly said about him regarding all of this:

“We are disappointed in Tim Ryan’s comments earlier this week, and have suspended him for the upcoming game. We hold Tim to a high standard as a representative of our organization and he must be more thoughtful with his words. Tim has expressed remorse in a public statement and has also done so with us privately. We know Tim as a man of high integrity and are confident he will grow and learn from this experience. We have reached out to the Baltimore Ravens organization to extend our apologies and assure them the matter is not being taken lightly.” (Link)

edit: @Binghamton Beast, you see what I mean now with "This is America. People want to sue for anything."?

Usually summer down is said to someone upset or angry, not calmly expressing their point of view.

Your quoted statement does nothing other than support my previous statement. 

His character had been attacked publicly. His public reputation had been damaged.His future earnings rely on that reputation. His suspension damages his current earnings. It's pretty cut and dry how he is harmed from this both current abd future earnings, nevermind his personal reputation. It's not suing "for anything" he's losing a paycheck. His future employment is affected. These are tangible loses, not hurt feelings.