A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

2 minutes ago, GG said:

He made an observation about the color similarities between the skin tone, uniform and the football.  The picture on the previous page kind of supports his point.  Are we at a point where it's wrong to say that a player has dark skin?

You didn’t follow what I said. I never mentioned politics. That’s what everyone else here wants to talk about. I’m simply saying that I don’t agree it’s really hard to see the ball. I find the logic flawed. These guys aren’t blind old men. I just think the comment was dumb. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

He made an observation about the color similarities between the skin tone, uniform and the football.  The picture on the previous page kind of supports his point.  Are we at a point where it's wrong to say that a player has dark skin?

Uh, we've been there for awhile. White men aren't allowed to discuss anything about other races or genders. Where have you been?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

No, it isn’t what you are saying at all. You are throwing out the lawsuit game here. There is no chance in hell that a lawsuit would be entertained by any Federal Court for what Ryan said. It would be tossed out faster than the ink on any of its affidavits dried.

Like KD in CA said, it is sheer hysteria as to why this happened.

Take a breath, man.  You sound worked up, when no one really is about this. It's all corporate HR policy. ALL corporate policies are to protect the company against liability and litigation. There is no hysteria.

29 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If the ball was light colored, and it was Josh Allen he was talking about while he is wearing a white jersey would anyone be mad?

Why not say it? Lamar Jackson has dark skin. Is that a racist observation? Especially in the context he used that observation?

Hell no.

Jack Kemp go away with it with those old AFL balls........

Oh, I feel so old. 

You have to be smarter than to say that, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Take a breath, man.  You sound worked up, when no one really is about this. It's all corporate HR policy. ALL corporate policies are to protect the company against liability and litigation. There is no hysteria.

Take a breath. Great comeback. No, I’m actually just pointing out you throwing the lawsuit stuff out there is about as ridiculous as it comes. 

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

You didn’t follow what I said. I never mentioned politics. That’s what everyone else here wants to talk about. I’m simply saying that I don’t agree it’s really hard to see the ball. I find the logic flawed. These guys aren’t blind old men. I just think the comment was dumb. 

Exactly. Besides the racial and political parts, it's just a bad take. There are plenty of other dark skinned players, even darker than Jackson. No one says anything about them.

He should have made the comment about the black unis and left it at that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There is most certainly an argument to be made that the level of hysteria in the country has led directly to these HR policies.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Take a breath. Great comeback. No, I’m actually just pointing out you throwing the lawsuit stuff out there is about as ridiculous as it comes. 

Yeah, no *****. I never said theyd be right, or that anyone should sue. Just that litigation, or the fear there of, is what drives most policies like the one that got him suspended. And the US is the most litigious country ever created. It's how we work.

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

There is most certainly an argument to be made that the level of hysteria in the country has led directly to these HR policies.

The policies have been around since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If they are enforced a little tighter now, that's a different story.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Jack Kemp go away with it with those old AFL balls........

Oh, I feel so old. 

You have to be smarter than to say that, regardless. 

To say what though, Augie? That the tone of Jackson’s skin and the uniforms and everyone knows he is a good ball handler to begin with, makes it all that much more difficult on defenses? Someone did post a photo of him earlier in the thread that supports what Ryan said. I don’t think what he pointed out was mean spirited at all. 

I guess maybe I just don’t get it. 

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Politics is what got him suspended.  

Again, the comment was about the combination of skin, uniform and football colors.   He didn't say it was only because Lamar was black.   

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, no *****. I never said theyd be right, or that anyone should sue. Just that litigation, or the fear there of, is what drives most policies like the one that got him suspended. And the US is the most litigious country ever created. It's how we work.

The policies have been around since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If they are enforced a little tighter now, that's a different story.

Agreed, but those HR policies as written post civil rights act were meant to deal with racism.  Hysteria has led to a much more lenient interpretation.  I don't t think this rises to racism by any standard definition.  Maybe we are saying the same thing here?

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

To say what though, Augie? That the tone of Jackson’s skin and the uniforms and everyone knows he is a good ball handler to begin with, makes it all that much more difficult on defenses? Someone did post a photo of him earlier in the thread that supports what Ryan said. I don’t think what he pointed out was mean spirited at all. 

I guess maybe I just don’t get it. 

I don’t know the guy at all, but I’m almost positive it wasn’t mean spirited. Unfortunately, this is like playing with the third rail. You need to know not to go there, even if there is nothing negative intended. You are just opening yourself up to........this. 

Talk about the jersey and you’re fine. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, CoudyBills said:

Agreed, but those HR policies as written post civil rights act were meant to deal with racism.  Hysteria has led to a much more lenient interpretation.  I don't t think this rises to racism by any standard definition.  Maybe we are saying the same thing here?

We are. It's all good.

No one is really worked up over this guy's comments, either way. They were borderline at best, and poor analysis. They gave him a day's vacation. Interesting discussion piece, but that's about it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Politics is what got him suspended.  

Again, the comment was about the combination of skin, uniform and football colors.   He didn't say it was only because Lamar was black.   

Fair enough, I just mean that I was only debating whether or not his comment is accurate. I believed it to be inaccurate. The other stuff is just not anything I even care to get into. I think we all have fatigue from this type of madness, no matter what side one is on. 

Edited by SirAndrew

37 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

People going to turn this all political on both sides, ignoring the simple fact that the comment is just plain dumb. By this logic no one should have ever seen a baseball coming out of my hands to hit the fastball. 

No it's not dumb.  A baseball player can see the ball because of safety rules put in place years ago. 

There is a reason why nobody sits in centerfield anymore AND why centerfield is blacked out.

Just saying.  You're wrong.