A comment about Lamar gets a 49er's announcer suspended

Stallions

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

People going to turn this all political on both sides, ignoring the simple fact that the comment is just plain dumb. By this logic no one should have ever seen a baseball coming out of my hands to hit the fastball. 

Maybe it was different wear I played, I couldn't wear a white shirt on the mound.  People had a hard enough time picking up the ball out of my hand anyway.  Just the right combination of rocket fuel and wild as all hell.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If the ball was light colored, and it was Josh Allen he was talking about while he is wearing a white jersey would anyone be mad?

Why not say it? Lamar Jackson has dark skin. Is that a racist observation? Especially in the context he used that observation?

Hell no.

No, no one would be mad if he commented about Josh. And no one would be mad if any black analyst made the comment about Jackson, in a half-joking manner. Or if Ryan said it in a way that was kinda joking with a black co-host, if they had that type of relationship.

But accrediting advantages to skin color, especially those outside your own race, in a seriously analytical way, is always going to be borderline at best.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, no one would be mad if he commented about Josh. And no one would be mad if any black analyst made the comment about Jackson, in a half-joking manner. Or if Ryan said it in a way that was kinda joking with a black co-host, if they had that type of relationship.

But accrediting advantages to skin color, especially those outside your own race, in a seriously analytical way, is always going to be borderline at best.

Nobody should be mad, period.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sad statement on our times that this is considered 'dumb to say' when it is a completely relevant and astute point.

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Saying having dark skin is an advantage - is now offensive?   I thought saying it was a disadvantage was.  I can't keep up with what can and can't be said.

The point is dont say anything about skin color being any type of advantage or disadvantage, because it doesnt matter. Or at least not supposed to.

I get what Ryan was trying to say here, and he aint wrong, but there are better takes to be made.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Nobody should be mad, period.

And I dont think anyone is. I havent read that the station was getting flooded with angry calls. And I doubt anyone in HR is "mad". They just have a CYA policy to follow to avoid lawsuits.

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

People going to turn this all political on both sides, ignoring the simple fact that the comment is just plain dumb. By this logic no one should have ever seen a baseball coming out of my hands to hit the fastball. 

There's a reason there are black backgrounds in the centerfield.   

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

There's a reason there are black backgrounds in the centerfield.   

True, just thinking my high school didn’t have any background, and no one complained about my hand being white. I’m not offended by this guys comment, I just don’t think it makes as much sense as some people do. Skin tone and ball color isn’t generally a big topic in sports, it just seems silly and dumb imo. 

Edited by SirAndrew

21 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

So, throwing a baseball is relevant how when talking about a QB that has a great skill set of play faking with a football? Were you able to stop mid windup in your delivery and pretend like you weren’t throwing a pitch?

Your comparison is so flawed it isn’t funny.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The point is dont say anything about skin color being any type of advantage or disadvantage, because it doesnt matter. Or at least not supposed to.

I get what Ryan was trying to say here, and he aint wrong, but there are better takes to be made.

Maybe so, but it's ridiculous that one can't actually say "his skin is dark" without people reverting into hysteria as though the Klan was riding through town.   And yes, a man being suspended from his job because of his employer's fear of mob 'justice' is hysteria.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sad statement on our times that this is considered 'dumb to say' when it is a completely relevant and astute point.

It's all PC and things right now, but the league might want to look into those black color rush unis during night games in the rain...

Image result for san francisco baltimore ravens game qb

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And I dont think anyone is. I havent read that the station was getting flooded with angry calls. And I doubt anyone in HR is "mad". They just have a CYA policy to follow to avoid lawsuits.

Lawsuits? For what???????

Just now, KD in CA said:

Maybe so, but it's ridiculous that one can't actually say "his skin is dark" without people reverting into hysteria as though the Klan was riding through town.   And yes, a man being suspended from his job because of his employer's fear of mob 'justice' is hysteria.

Who did that? I think your perception of any type of political correctness is a little extreme. No one is boycotting the station, or planning a protest, or even calling in all angry.

He barely crossed a tiny little line, but still crossed it, so corporate has to step in. It's not mob justice. It could be internal lawsuits theyre protecting against as well. Better to just not have it.

It sounds like youre the most hysterical one here.

• Like (+1) 2

Thoughts of different thoughts here:

-The news articles calling this “racist” are wrong. He did not demean, insult, or refer to one race being superior. That term is wrong for this statement. 

-I have mixed feelings about whether or not you should be able to say a technically true statement. On one hand his statement is accurate. On the other, just because something is accurate doesn’t mean you should say it. An example outside of race, if you are talking to a 300lb woman,0 are you going to refer to her as fat. That’s probably not the best look. 

-My real question here is why did he get suspended and who is upset?  I am sure we could all be suspended if our words, texts, conversations were made public. Additionally, I would be curious to see if Lamar or other African Americans found the statement to be offensive. 

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Lawsuits? For what???????

Dude, who knows? This is America!

Maybe Ryan makes one or two more borderline comments around the office and suddenly ***** snowballs and the employer has a situation to deal with. At least this shows they tried to do "something" about it. Again, it's just typical CYA.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

True, just thinking my high school didn’t have any background, and no one complained about my hand being white. I’m not offended by this guys comment, I just don’t think it makes as much sense as some people do. 

He made an observation about the color similarities between the skin tone, uniform and the football.  The picture on the previous page kind of supports his point.  Are we at a point where it's wrong to say that a player has dark skin?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This may also be similar to why Sam Darnold spends so much time on the turf-- he's been trying to camouflage himself with the green uniform.

Do you remember the game when Jets players laid down in the green end zone to hide themselves? But it didn't work?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude, who knows? This is America!

Maybe Ryan makes one or two more borderline comments around the office and suddenly ***** snowballs and the employer has a situation to deal with. At least this shows they tried to do "something" about it. Again, it's just typical CYA.

No, it isn’t what you are saying at all. You are throwing out the lawsuit game here. There is no chance in hell that a lawsuit would be entertained by any Federal Court for what Ryan said. It would be tossed out faster than the ink on any of its affidavits dried.

Like KD in CA said, it is sheer hysteria as to why this happened.