McDermott on scouting Lamar Pre Draft

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I get what you’re saying, but let’s say 4 QB’s go before the Bills pick. What are they gonna do, trade up for Rudolph in the first? Pass on QB and pass on Lamar at the end of the first to take Rudolph in the second?

LJ almost fell out of the first round. If the board didn’t go the way it did, we could have ended up looking REALLY silly. I get that’s how it works, how much that draft changed the course of the NFL. 

It couldn't have happened.  Cleveland was only taking 1 QB,  Barkley was going somewhere in the top five.  That leaves a maximum of 3 QBs taken in the top Four. So Denver was either going to trade pick 5 to us or take Chubb.  Indy was sold on Nelson, that's why they traded with the Jets and no or lower.  So any way you shuffle the QBs 4 QBs  taken before the Bills pick of trade up couldn't happen.  What would have happened if Allen, Mayfield and Darnold went before 5 is they wouldn't have traded up.  Then with either 12 or 22 they're stuck with Rudolph since Arizona makes the Rosen trade.  If that had happened we would be in the market for a QB this offseason.  Or they might have gone with Peterman in 2018 and had the #1 pick in 2019.  

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It couldn't have happened.  Cleveland was only taking 1 QB,  Barkley was going somewhere in the top five.  That leaves a maximum of 3 QBs taken in the top Four. So Denver was either going to trade pick 5 to us or take Chubb.  Indy was sold on Nelson, that's why they traded with the Jets and no or lower.  So any way you shuffle the QBs 4 QBs  taken before the Bills pick of trade up couldn't happen.  What would have happened if Allen, Mayfield and Darnold went before 5 is they wouldn't have traded up.  Then with either 12 or 22 they're stuck with Rudolph since Arizona makes the Rosen trade.  If that had happened we would be in the market for a QB this offseason.  Or they might have gone with Peterman in 2018 and had the #1 pick in 2019.  

I am sooooooooo friggin glad it played out the way it did!   As others have said, I think we got the guy that's the perfect fit for our team.   

I think that's an important aspect some people neglect.   You don't necessarily need the best talent.. but you need the best fit that has talent.  Josh was the right guy for the team they want to build. 

And yes, LJ may get "figured out" and become passé in a year or two.  The same can be said for Josh.  But that's on them to continue improving at their craft and eliminate their weaknesses.  I have confidence Josh is trying (and our coaching staff is doing their part) to do just that.  I don't watch enough of the Ravens to know now Lamar is doing with that. 

Edited by Dan

Whitner over Ngata is the one that matters.

I mean trading out of Watson and Mahomes

I mean...

we will have to see how it plays out, but I think getting a great QB who has us at 9-3 can have us focus on the future for a bit, and not the second guessing club.  Patriots passed on Brady six times, they were lucky not smart.

But LJ is definitely a reminder over and over again, that drafting QBs is in imperfect art at best, and total crap shoot at worst.  I'm glad we aren't in the market for a QB for a while and can focus on winning our 10th game in a season for the first time since 1999.

• Like (+1) 1

Before Lamar was drafted, people were questioning his accuracy more so than Allens. Lamar also scored a 13 on the Wonderlic test.  Recent Superbowl QBs have an average of 30. A janitor scores roughly a 14. So his score of 13 was pretty abominable.

There were red flags to be found with choosing Jackson as your next franchise QB. Not to mention having to create an offense around his abilities to help him succeed.

Its no surprise many teams passed on him, including our own.

At the end of the day, I'm glad we drafted Allen & that he's progressed this far & I'm happy for Lamar's success in Baltimore.

Of course come Sunday i hope he has the worst game of his career!

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

I think that Lamar success will fizzle out.  I don't see their scheme sustainable long term.  I know they are on really hot streak now but that has happened many time before in history.  Griffin III being an example.

The counter example being perhaps Russ Wilson.  As someone else said - sooner or later, it will be solved.  Then, either he will evolve, or he won’t.

2 hours ago, section122 said:

Thanks for the pic.  Of interest to me:

1. Bills got the #1 guy on their board at #9.  There were lots of rumors that folks in Cleveland were fighting to take Allen.  We could have ended up with Mayfield at 5 or 9.
  2. At least on this day, the Bills ranked them Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph, Lauletta.  I wonder where Jackson was ranked. Many pundits had Jackson ranked as the #1 QB.  Clearly going for the more traditional passer and one that can spin it in the winter.
  3. Both Allen and Jackson definitely ended up on the right teams.  Not sure about the rest.

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

It seems to me 30 other teams passed on Lamar as well....even the great and venerable Hoody. Some folks need to put their Twitter on pause and think about the asinine comments. 

I glad we got Josh Allen and  I wouldn’t trade him for 5 Lamar Jackson’s !!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, section122 said:

I posted it at one point in time I'll try to dig it up...

Hope this works:

Ya know......I'm calling bullsh-- on the validity of this 'board'.

If this was a white-boarding exercise where a group of FO guys where debating the QB rankings, where are all the circles and arrows and the generally big mess that is any whiteboard at the end of a long meeting where things are being discussed and debated?  People in my company do a lot of white boarding and I've never seen this one look this neat and tidy.  There would have been no point to simply writing down the names of a list that was already decided upon.  Not to mention, white boards are almost always either erased immediately or labeled with "DO NOT ERASE". 

And, the "#12, 22, 53 ------------> Den #5" is just a little too obvious.  Was that really the only trade scenario they envisioned??

Sorry, but this whole thread blows.

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If this was a white-boarding exercise where a group of FO guys where debating the QB rankings, where are all the circles and arrows and the generally big mess that is any whiteboard at the end of a long meeting where things are being discussed and debated?  People in my company do a lot of white boarding and I've never seen this one look this neat and tidy.  There would have been no point to simply writing down the names of a list that was already decided upon.  Not to mention, white boards are almost always either erased immediately or labeled with "DO NOT ERASE". 

And, the "#12, 22, 53 ------------> Den #5" is just a little too obvious.  Was that really the only trade scenario they envisioned??

This was posted before the draft about 3 weeks ahead if iirc.  The trade written down is confirmed to be the trade that was in place with denver after the draft.

I won't die on a hill saying this is for sure true but there is a lot of smoke there.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the draft thing, in context, it was clear Jackson was talking about a pre-draft visit or private workout.  The Bills did not have him in on a pre-draft visit or set up a private workout with him.

He said he had met with the Bills at the Combine.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/4/25/17281012/lamar-jackson-i-have-not-met-with-the-buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-draft-quarterback

" What makes the situation even more confusing is that Jackson himself previously stated that he met with Bills brass during the NFL Combine in February. The Combine meeting was extensive enough for the quarterback to have to watch film and draw up plays on the white board. So, either Jackson doesn’t consider an NFL Combine interview to be a “meeting” or he simply forgot. "

So both McDermott and Lamar Jackson are speaking the truth (in context).  There is no controversy here.

Stop letting facts perturb a juicy narrative. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Stop letting facts perturb a juicy narrative. 

? I'm such a killjoy that way

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Well, in corporate life, we were carefully taught to erase whiteboards after meetings lest sensitive material be seen by visitors who shouldn't see it etc.

So it does strike me as unusual.

The board would make some sense if it were written up as a briefing to someone, vs used in a substrate for discussion among the people building the draft board.

Going forward, I hope everyone hits the erasers and washes the board after meetings.

6 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Your right Yolo, I remember seeing that pic of the Bills board. I wonder if McD & company felt that the fan base wasn't ready for a running type OB. Tyrod provided many exciting moments but his lack of passing & scoring points wore out his welcome with many fans. They might have thought better to get a more pure passer type QB.

I doubt the "fan base" and what it is or isn't ready for factored into their discussion.

I think that Beane and McDermott tend to say what they mean and mean what they say.  And what they said numerous times before the draft was that they were looking for a QB who could play well from the pocket.  I think you're exactly right that they were wanting a more pure passer type QB, but not to appease the fans - because that fit their vision for the team better.

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod Taylor was a back up for the Ravens and considered a mobile QB. Tyrod Taylor and Greg Roman we're both a part of the Bills at the same time. Greg Roman is considered a guy with good running concepts. The Bills moved on from both Greg Roman and Tyrod Taylor. It was a failed experiment in Buffalo. 

On the other hand Ravens having Tyrod as a back up grooming him might mean they have been preparing to go that direction at some point. Now with Greg Roman and Lamar Jackson it seems the Ravens not only embrace a mobile QB like Lamar Jackson but have been preparing for a QB like him back when they still had Tyrod. 

What I am saying is that it should be obvious things ended up the way they did. It's really working out for the Ravens. I would say it's working out for the Bills as well.